• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Culver's - Shorewood - question

xenophon

The Culver's in Shorewood is pretty close to the grounds of the high school. As long as you stay in the parking lot of Culver's, would it be ok to OC there, in your opinion?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
yes, it is private property. But!
I would expect harassment from the shorewood PD, I have had some dealing with the SPD once in my life and it was not pleasant by any means.

In CA, A judge ruled that private property is not private property if it is a business, an OCDO was then found guilty of a felony GFSZ infraction because of this (Theseus)
So just be aware of some stupidity having the ability to happen with you not just being a spectator.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
yes, it is private property. But!
I would expect harassment from the shorewood PD, I have had some dealing with the SPD once in my life and it was not pleasant by any means.

In CA, A judge ruled that private property is not private property if it is a business, an OCDO was then found guilty of a felony GFSZ infraction because of this (Theseus)
So just be aware of some stupidity having the ability to happen with you not just being a spectator.

The statute specifically states private property does NOT apply.

948.605(2)(b)
(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply to the possession of a firearm:

948.605(2)(b)1.
1. On private property not part of school grounds;
If a judge rules the parking lot and thus the store are PUBLIC, then yes school zones ARE a bit more troublesome but that would also mean they (stores) cannot post!

Max

If a judge rules the parking lot and thus the store are PUBLIC, then yes school zones ARE a bit more troublesome but that would also mean they (stores) cannot post!

Very good point.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

I Agree fully.
But lets take a look at a recent decision by Adekman, I would be very concerned that other judges would also lean the same way and make sure someone was separated from their rights by making a poor decision like the judge in CA that snagged Theseus.

Theseus was at a privately owned laundromat. He gave the cop his ID willingly, then he was let to go on about his business, and several days later the police served a felony warrant and confiscated all of his weapons. He then went to court and the judge ruled that private property is not private property and Theseus was then made a felon in the process.

I would not want to be the test case for a similar situation. And sadly the odds of a similar clusterfluck happening in WI right now are quite high IMO

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
I will also point out that the statute says "KNOWINGLY."

I honestly thought I was on private property your honor....

The guy in CA had an idiot for a lawyer and unless there are other facts we don't know, I would expect this to e an excellent challenge to the GFSZA out there.