• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin State Journal opinion page

rcav8r

Hi everyone, I joined up here after hearing the Madison 5 incident on AR15.com.
In today's WSJ editorial page, there was a whole bunch of letters from people on both sides of this issue (although I'm not sure why someone brought up codpieces as a form of manhood??). It seems to me that those who are against it are very ignorant. The first letter was from someone who clearly did not know any laws regarding open carry. He talked about "proudly showing gun registration and ID", and wondered if stores could post signs about guns (of course). And along similar veins in other letters.

I wrote an email to the opinion page, refuting many of the claims, explaining the law, and saying a real man or real woman protects their family and loved ones.
I also crossed a personal line. One of the anti's was a guy who claimed 2 tours in Nam, but its obvious he was a REMF for the most part, cause he claimed he went armed only a couple of times. The line I crossed was that I, a non-veteran (I'd be 4F), attacked a veteran for using his military experience to justify his views. However, this just ticks me off (any veteran calling for gun control ticks me off, btw).

I forgot to save the letter to my files, and I'm sure they won't publish it because of the length-or they will heavily edit it as they have with my letters before.

protias

Welcome aboard! It is rather odd why someone would say personal protection is just an "extension of ones 'manhood.'" Umm, I guess they forget a lot of women also carry for their protection. As for the veteran, he should know full well what he fought for. If he doesn't understand that, then just thank him for his service and correct him when he is wrong.

jamesisel

One of the anti's was a guy who claimed 2 tours in Nam, but its obvious he was a REMF for the most part, cause he claimed he went armed only a couple of times. The line I crossed was that I, a non-veteran (I'd be 4F), attacked a veteran for using his military experience to justify his views. However, this just ticks me off (any veteran calling for gun control ticks me off, btw).

Ignorance is ignorance, in uniform or not.

At Fort Campbell, KY last year there was a company commander who tried to force his Soldiers to register their guns and their handgun carry permits with the unit. The base commander squashed that order.

RIGHT NOW AT FORT RILEY, KS the base commander has issued an order that (1) requires the registration, with Fort Riley, of its soldiers' privately-owned firearms kept off-base, and those of the soldiers' family members residing anywhere in Kansas, (2) prohibits soldiers who have firearm-carrying permits from carrying firearms for protection off-base, and (3) authorizes unit commanders to set arbitrary limits on the caliber of firearms and ammunition their troops may privately own. THIS ORDER CURRENTLY STANDS>

.....ticked off yet?

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Ignorance is ignorance, in uniform or not.

At Fort Campbell, KY last year there was a company commander who tried to force his Soldiers to register their guns and their handgun carry permits with the unit. The base commander squashed that order.

RIGHT NOW AT FORT RILEY, KS the base commander has issued an order that (1) requires the registration, with Fort Riley, of its soldiers' privately-owned firearms kept off-base, and those of the soldiers' family members residing anywhere in Kansas, (2) prohibits soldiers who have firearm-carrying permits from carrying firearms for protection off-base, and (3) authorizes unit commanders to set arbitrary limits on the caliber of firearms and ammunition their troops may privately own. THIS ORDER CURRENTLY STANDS>

.....ticked off yet?

WOW! that is just twisted.