• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter I sent to the Pierce county library

sempercarry

After hearing of the OCer kicked out of the library in Spokane, I decided to look up Pierce county libraries polices regarding the carrying of weapons and found that it was prohibited. I decided a letter was in order so here it is.

Dear Mr. Parikh

I would like to bring to the libraries attention to the library code of conduct, and its violation of Washington State Law. Currently the Pierce county library code of conduct is worded: “The following behaviors and activities are not allowed: Possession of weapons. "Firearms" are defined as a weapon by RCW 9.41.010. The code of conduct is in clear violation of RCW 9.41.290 [State Preemption]: “Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.” This RCW is in reference to firearms laws. The whole RCW can be found here http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.290 .Considering the fact the library system is a county funded and public resource, there would need to be a provision in RCW 9.41.300 in order to restrict firearms possession in the library. There is no exemption in RCW 9.41.300 that states a county or library system can restrict the right to carry a firearm on its grounds. Under RCW 9.41.290, the weapons section of the library code of conduct in its current verbiage is unenforceable. I would also like to direct your attention to the Washington State Attorney General's Opinion AGO 2008 No. 8 which states "RCW 9.41.290 preempts a city’s authority to enact local laws that prohibit possession of firearms on city property or in city-owned facilities." I request that you advise the board to remove or revise the referenced code in order to prevent and preclude the potential for a lawsuit from illegal citation and/or arrest in violation of state law. I look forward to hearing back from you about this issue

The response:
The Library’s Executive Director has asked me to look into your concern regarding Library policies.
I wanted to let you know that we’ve received your information and will be looking into it. It will take some time to research the issues involved. At this point I would estimate about a month for the initial review, followed by our evaluation of the initial review and presentation to the Board. This process may generate additional questions to be considered in connection with the issues that you raise, so it will take some time for a formal reply. Thank you for providing the information and citations, and I will keep you informed as we look into your issue.

deanf

Sounds good. Thanks for sticking to the point and not getting wrapped up in all the "lifetime NRA member", "it's my 2nd Amendment right", etc., crap that people tend to put into protest letters like this.

sempercarry

I can't take all the credit for the letter. I copied and pasted from a letter that was posted on the forum about 2 years ago. I have used it for the Kitsap county, University Place, Fircrest and Buckley code violations.....works pretty well I guess.

sempercarry

probably...I don't see why it always takes so long to correct the discrepancy....it's clear cut in black and white and all the info is provided right there...why does it always take a month or two in order to correct?

Last edited:

amlevin

probably...I don't see why it always takes so long to correct the discrepancy....it's clear cut in black and white and all the info is provided right there...why does it always take a month or two in order to correct?

It will take time because there are those that say "we have the right to have Rules". They then will talk to the attorneys who will take their time to come back with a response. The back-and-forth will eat up a few weeks, and then there will be the "meeting". Someone will ask another question and the issue will be deferred to another session.

That's why government and their sub-divisions all move at a snails pace. Nobody can make a decision without passing the question around several times. It's almost like they want to make sure enough people touched it so if something goes wrong the blame can be spread.

devildoc5

the other reason things like this take a long time is because of the beaurocratic processes involved.

I mean honestly, it has to go from the attorney's secretary to the paralegal, the paralegal has to research it and confirm the facts stated in the letter, then has to type up a legal brief, then it gets sent to the attorney who reviews the brief and makes his/her own, that is then forwarded to the secretary of one of the bigwigs who then reviews it, then she/he gives a synapsis to the big wig who says "we will have to vote on that". Then he writes a brief and sends it along with any supporting dodumentation to all the board members for review. Board members meet and discuss it, select a few people to form the comittee and make any changes if needed. Then they schedule a deadline to bring the changes for review. Comes back to the board for review (hopefully everything is right the first time or it repeats the review and create process a few more time) then they schedule it to be voted on. Once it is voted on then it must be updated in all the forms and signs and websites and what have you nots.

So yeah it is a long process, unfortunately that is the nature of the beast....

Lovenox

It will probably take more time to change illegal signage in libraries and parks than it did to pass Obama Care.
:eek:

Tacitus42

Semper did you recieve a reply?

I carry into the new Univerity Place library all the time, the one with the Police Dept attached. No problems . I came across this video where this guy talks about officers accosting him and taking his firearm at the Tillicum library, and now its a posted as no guns allowed. I'm gonna visit myself and report what i find out. Thanks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmnFNQtrOa0&NR=1&feature=endscreen