Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed weapons permit

Concealed weapons permit

On the advice of my uncle, who is a retired Miami police officer, I am looking to get my concealed weapons permit. I am currently in Florida, but I will be moving to Virginia next year to be with my fiancee. I'm trying to figure out which would be the best way to go: to go ahead and get my permit while I am still in Florida, or wait until I move to Virginia. I will say that that Florida has some of the best guns laws in the nation, especially the "Stand Your Ground" law. Is there anything I need to know when I move to Virginia? Thanks in advance.

You need to establish residency before you can apply for a resident license. And it's a Concealed Handgun Permit, not a concealed weapons permit. Your Florida permit is honored here while you get settled. And of course, you can OC without a permit.

I am sure FL permit is good in VA, because I want to get another state permit for consealed,(once 21) FL offers more states than VA.

You get a picture on the FL permit. VA does not.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 09-24-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    And again....you do not NEED a permit in Virginia.

That's why this board is called "Open Carry.Org"

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    And again....you do not NEED a permit in Virginia.

That's why this board is called "Open Carry.Org"
    +1
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    When you get to Virginia, we'll be happy to assist you with the training required to obtain a concealed handgun permit. Just visit our website, www.ProactiveShooters.com
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    I am sure FL permit is good in VA, because I want to get another state permit for consealed,(once 21) FL offers more states than VA.

You get a picture on the FL permit. VA does not.
    VA non resident permit has your picture on it.

Thanks for the input, everyone. While I respect your choice to open carry, I feel better having a concealed permit since I have one more piece of insurance should I have to speak with law enforcement.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    Yup, that waiting period for handguns sure is nice....so is the ban on open carry that even makes printing while carrying concealed a crime. Yes VA has some stupid laws too such as the 1 handgun a month law for people without CHPs.

Virginia does not have a "stand your ground law" however we have hundreds of years of case law that backs up our right to defend ourselves anywhere we have the legal right to be. In other words, if you're not trespassing, you can defend yourself, whether you're in your home, in public, or in a business. I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Welcome to VA!
    Virginia is what is called a "true man" state (I think I have that correct). This means that we are both a stand your ground state and there is no duty to retreat in the face of a deadly threat. As you mentioned, you must have a legal right to be where you are and also not be party to the altercation.

I didn't know that Florida has a waiting period. Do they also have a requirement to obtain a purchase permit before purchase of a handgun? I think North Carolina still requires this but I don't know that for sure.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by YourGunsAllWet View Post
    Thanks for the input, everyone. While I respect your choice to open carry, I feel better having a concealed permit since I have one more piece of insurance should I have to speak with law enforcement.
    Open carry in Virginia is the default, or "normal", mode of carry in that there is no permit requirement to do such. A permit buys you only a few options that I can think of.

1) You may conceal should you wish while away from your home or curtilage.
    2) If your firearm happens to become "hidden from common observation", you are covered.
    3) If your choice is to conceal when visiting a restaurant (ABC-ON), you are fine.
    4) When within a school zone and carrying, open or concealed, a permit voids the "1000 foot" rule. (Think taking a walk down a sidewalk across from a school or in your neighborhood within this perimeter while armed)

There are others, but those suffice for the moment. You will find that open carry in Virgina has become widely acceptable and poses little if any problems or concerns. It is another option in your toolbox.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Open carry in Virginia is the default, or "normal", mode of carry in that there is no permit requirement to do such. A permit buys you only a few options that I can think of.

1) You may conceal should you wish while away from your home or curtilage.
    2) If your firearm happens to become "hidden from common observation", you are covered.
    3) If your choice is to conceal when visiting a restaurant (ABC-ON), you are fine.
    4) When within a school zone and carrying, open or concealed, a permit voids the "1000 foot" rule. (Think taking a walk down a sidewalk across from a school or in your neighborhood within this perimeter while armed)

There are others, but those suffice for the moment. You will find that open carry in Virgina has become widely acceptable and poses little if any problems or concerns. It is another option in your toolbox.
    I will add:

You need a permit to carry while picking up or dropping off your kid at school (stay in car).
    You need a permit to be armed inside the Capitol.
    You need a permit to carry in state parks (IIRC).
    You need a permit to carry an oversized (20+) magazine.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

1. how so?
    2. Don't speak to law enforcement about it, remain silent.
    3. I see why.. you are from FL where OC is not allowed therefore you thing what is RIGHT is wrong (pun intended)
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Hell...I deleted it myself.

Saved John the trouble.
    Last edited by peter nap; 09-25-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Hell...I deleted it myself.

Saved John the trouble.
    Now, Peter!

Maybe you could number the comments and then just respond with #1, #3, #17 & #21 (for example)? That way you would not need to worry so much.

But yes, you are correct. And probably deleting it was a good move, too.

stay safe.

I think you meant to go here:
    http://apps.carryconcealed.net/forum2/

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Wow, rough crowd.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Wow, rough crowd.
    Really though, the entire thread is OT.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    Really though, the entire thread is OT.
    Yep, sure is TJ, but I see it's still here even though my post which was a legitimate OC post was just deleted.

I can understand Thundar's frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    I forgot to put this in my post...pretty important, because something as simple as giving the finger to another driver on the road could complicate things in court if you had to defend yourself if the situation deteriorated.
    As they say, an armed society is a polite society, so it's best to just ignore idiots and be polite even if others are not. Then you'll have less problems if you must defend yourself from a jutjob driver on I95 in Woodbridge for example.
    +1
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Wow, there's a whole bunch of nothing going on over there!

TFred

Founder's Club Member
    What on earth could you post about other than the occasional police stop or running across a no-guns sign when carrying concealed or having a purely equipment discussion? When you carry concealed no one knows you're carrying so it has none of the beneficial affect of letting the public know that good, regular folks carry firearms, and also reduces the opportunities for police and public officials to express their joy in seeing those not on the taxpayer dole carrying as well and deters no crime because the bad guys don't know they'll get shot until they've decided to begin their criminal behavior.

Cool

One of my favourite responses (and one I neglected on Saturday evening) is when confronted by someone who demands to know why I'm carrying a gun, and then follows with something along the lines of "Isn't that dangerous?" without first even pausing for me to respond to the first query is:

"How many other people are carrying?"

They can't answer. There is absolutely no way to know who else is carrying unless they carry openly. That is often lost on them.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Founder's Club Member
    The concept can that people are armed deters some criminals and I recognize that, but as you say open carry makes it very clear that people are armed. It's the difference between "If I attack this person the statistics say that I have a 1 in X chance that the person has a gun and I get shot, vs. if I attack this person I have a known high likelihood of being shot because I know for a certainty the person has a gun, so maybe I'll just leave them alone."

Very sad that you intend to take action because you feat government actions. May the chains of tyranny weigh lightly upon you.

The 2 A is all about making sure that you do not fear govt, that govt fears the citizen.

Open Carry is all about exercising rights. Try it when you get to Virginia. You will feel more free.

Live Free or Die,
    Thundar
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast