• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed weapons permit

YourGunsAllWet

On the advice of my uncle, who is a retired Miami police officer, I am looking to get my concealed weapons permit. I am currently in Florida, but I will be moving to Virginia next year to be with my fiancee. I'm trying to figure out which would be the best way to go: to go ahead and get my permit while I am still in Florida, or wait until I move to Virginia. I will say that that Florida has some of the best guns laws in the nation, especially the "Stand Your Ground" law. Is there anything I need to know when I move to Virginia? Thanks in advance.

zoom6zoom

You need to establish residency before you can apply for a resident license. And it's a Concealed Handgun Permit, not a concealed weapons permit. Your Florida permit is honored here while you get settled. And of course, you can OC without a permit.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
And again....you do not NEED a permit in Virginia.

That's why this board is called "Open Carry.Org"

YourGunsAllWet

Thanks for the input, everyone. While I respect your choice to open carry, I feel better having a concealed permit since I have one more piece of insurance should I have to speak with law enforcement.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Yup, that waiting period for handguns sure is nice....so is the ban on open carry that even makes printing while carrying concealed a crime. Yes VA has some stupid laws too such as the 1 handgun a month law for people without CHPs.

Virginia does not have a "stand your ground law" however we have hundreds of years of case law that backs up our right to defend ourselves anywhere we have the legal right to be. In other words, if you're not trespassing, you can defend yourself, whether you're in your home, in public, or in a business. I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Welcome to VA! :dude:

Virginia is what is called a "true man" state (I think I have that correct). This means that we are both a stand your ground state and there is no duty to retreat in the face of a deadly threat. As you mentioned, you must have a legal right to be where you are and also not be party to the altercation.

I didn't know that Florida has a waiting period. Do they also have a requirement to obtain a purchase permit before purchase of a handgun? I think North Carolina still requires this but I don't know that for sure.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Thanks for the input, everyone. While I respect your choice to open carry, I feel better having a concealed permit since I have one more piece of insurance should I have to speak with law enforcement.

Open carry in Virginia is the default, or "normal", mode of carry in that there is no permit requirement to do such. A permit buys you only a few options that I can think of.

1) You may conceal should you wish while away from your home or curtilage.
2) If your firearm happens to become "hidden from common observation", you are covered.
3) If your choice is to conceal when visiting a restaurant (ABC-ON), you are fine.
4) When within a school zone and carrying, open or concealed, a permit voids the "1000 foot" rule. (Think taking a walk down a sidewalk across from a school or in your neighborhood within this perimeter while armed)

There are others, but those suffice for the moment. You will find that open carry in Virgina has become widely acceptable and poses little if any problems or concerns. It is another option in your toolbox.

paramedic70002

Open carry in Virginia is the default, or "normal", mode of carry in that there is no permit requirement to do such. A permit buys you only a few options that I can think of.

1) You may conceal should you wish while away from your home or curtilage.
2) If your firearm happens to become "hidden from common observation", you are covered.
3) If your choice is to conceal when visiting a restaurant (ABC-ON), you are fine.
4) When within a school zone and carrying, open or concealed, a permit voids the "1000 foot" rule. (Think taking a walk down a sidewalk across from a school or in your neighborhood within this perimeter while armed)

There are others, but those suffice for the moment. You will find that open carry in Virgina has become widely acceptable and poses little if any problems or concerns. It is another option in your toolbox.

I will add:

You need a permit to carry while picking up or dropping off your kid at school (stay in car).
You need a permit to be armed inside the Capitol.
You need a permit to carry in state parks (IIRC).
You need a permit to carry an oversized (20+) magazine.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
1. how so?
2. Don't speak to law enforcement about it, remain silent.
3. I see why.. you are from FL where OC is not allowed therefore you thing what is RIGHT is wrong (pun intended)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Hell...I deleted it myself.

Saved John the trouble.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Hell...I deleted it myself.

Saved John the trouble.

Now, Peter!

Maybe you could number the comments and then just respond with #1, #3, #17 & #21 (for example)? That way you would not need to worry so much.

But yes, you are correct. And probably deleting it was a good move, too.

stay safe.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I forgot to put this in my post...pretty important, because something as simple as giving the finger to another driver on the road could complicate things in court if you had to defend yourself if the situation deteriorated.
As they say, an armed society is a polite society, so it's best to just ignore idiots and be polite even if others are not. Then you'll have less problems if you must defend yourself from a jutjob driver on I95 in Woodbridge for example.
+1