• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed weapons permit

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
What on earth could you post about other than the occasional police stop or running across a no-guns sign when carrying concealed or having a purely equipment discussion? When you carry concealed no one knows you're carrying so it has none of the beneficial affect of letting the public know that good, regular folks carry firearms, and also reduces the opportunities for police and public officials to express their joy in seeing those not on the taxpayer dole carrying as well and deters no crime because the bad guys don't know they'll get shot until they've decided to begin their criminal behavior.

wylde007

One of my favourite responses (and one I neglected on Saturday evening) is when confronted by someone who demands to know why I'm carrying a gun, and then follows with something along the lines of "Isn't that dangerous?" without first even pausing for me to respond to the first query is:

"How many other people are carrying?"

They can't answer. There is absolutely no way to know who else is carrying unless they carry openly. That is often lost on them.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
The concept can that people are armed deters some criminals and I recognize that, but as you say open carry makes it very clear that people are armed. It's the difference between "If I attack this person the statistics say that I have a 1 in X chance that the person has a gun and I get shot, vs. if I attack this person I have a known high likelihood of being shot because I know for a certainty the person has a gun, so maybe I'll just leave them alone."

Thundar

Thanks for the input, everyone. While I respect your choice to open carry, I feel better having a concealed permit since I have one more piece of insurance should I have to speak with law enforcement.

Very sad that you intend to take action because you feat government actions. May the chains of tyranny weigh lightly upon you.

The 2 A is all about making sure that you do not fear govt, that govt fears the citizen.

Open Carry is all about exercising rights. Try it when you get to Virginia. You will feel more free.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

mrjam2jab

On the advice of my uncle, who is a retired Miami police officer, I am looking to get my concealed weapons permit. I am currently in Florida, but I will be moving to Virginia next year to be with my fiancee. I'm trying to figure out which would be the best way to go: to go ahead and get my permit while I am still in Florida, or wait until I move to Virginia. I will say that that Florida has some of the best guns laws in the nation, especially the "Stand Your Ground" law. Is there anything I need to know when I move to Virginia? Thanks in advance.

Since your FL permit is honored in VA, I would wait on the VA permit until you are a resident...if for no other reason, you'll save yourself about $50.

You need to establish residency before you can apply for a resident license. .

VA 18.2-308 doesnt agree with you.

TFred

You need to establish residency before you can apply for a resident license.

VA 18.2-308 doesnt agree with you.
What?

18.2-308 says: "D. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun."

Maybe "establish residency" has more than one meaning... but the code is fairly clear, "in which he resides".

TFred

swinokur

Activist Member
The 2 A is all about making sure that you do not fear govt, that govt fears the citizen.

Open Carry is all about exercising rights. Try it when you get to Virginia. You will feel more free.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

I second that. I come to VA EVERY weekend. Being FREE beats being a subject any day.
Lookin to move.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
One of my favourite responses (and one I neglected on Saturday evening) is when confronted by someone who demands to know why I'm carrying a gun, and then follows with something along the lines of "Isn't that dangerous?"...

A good response to this, providing the person asking has a bit of a sense of humor, is, "Well, I certainly hope so". I would not answer like this if the person was dead serious as I would not wish to cement in someone's mind that those who carry are of questionable character.

Last edited:

wylde007

I would not answer like this if the person was dead serious as I would not wish to cement in someone's mind that those who carry are of questionable character.
On the other hand it might serve to reason that someone who would ask a question like that and pose it in a nature most serious has already determined that those who carry are of questionable character to begin with.

Discrimination has many faces, my friend.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
On the other hand it might serve to reason that someone who would ask a question like that and pose it in a nature most serious has already determined that those who carry are of questionable character to begin with.

Discrimination has many faces, my friend.

I agree and to be honest, I've gotten tired of answering stupid questions lately.

I think the proper response would be "No".

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Very sad that you intend to take action because you feat government actions. May the chains of tyranny weigh lightly upon you.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

+1
Deleted the rest of it again...Damnit:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:

mrjam2jab

What?

18.2-308 says: "D. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun."

Maybe "establish residency" has more than one meaning... but the code is fairly clear, "in which he resides".

TFred

d'oh....apparently I read too much into into the post i was replying to. I read it as "must establish residency of x months".... :-(

TFred

d'oh....apparently I read too much into into the post i was replying to. I read it as "must establish residency of x months".... :-(
Well, I wasn't saying you were entirely wrong... :) It really could be open to interpretation. What does it take to prove to the clerk of the court that you do in fact reside in their jurisdiction? The traditional documents do take some time to come by, such as a utility bill, a bank statement or a drivers license. It would probably be difficult to drive into the state as you move here, and swing by the courthouse to apply for your CHP. It's not well defined.

TFred

paramedic70002

Lets add the next sentence to the Code section quoted:

D. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. There shall be no requirement regarding the length of time an applicant has been a resident or domiciliary of the county or city.

Now, this may have been put in there assuming you are moving from one VA jurisdiction to another, then suddenly decide to apply for a permit, but I doubt it. I think the GA meant to not deny new state residents access to a permit longer than the 45 day maximum processing period. At any rate it says what it says.

So, what's the legal definition of reside?

www.law.com says:

resident
n. a person who lives in a particular place
. However, the term is vague depending on the permanence of the occupation.

residence
n. 1) the place where one makes his/her home.
However, a person may have his/her state of "domicile" elsewhere for tax or other purposes, especially if the residence is for convenience or not of long standing. 2) in corporation law, the state of incorporation.

Well, that doesn't help, much. If I were in this position I would use a lease, mortgage, real estate bill of sale, etc., even a note from a landlord to prove residency. Now if I was living in a hotel prior to inhabiting a more permanent abode, I'm not sure how that would work. I suppose it might be up to the court to challenge your residency? FWIW the VSP CHP application does not require you to attach a copy of your DL http://www.vsp.state.va.us/download...for_Concealed_Handgun_Permit_Rev_7-1-2010.pdf however the VSP website http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#ApplicationforaConcealedHandgunPermit reminds us that the CHP must be accompanied by a VA photo ID, or DOD or USSD ID.

The Code does not specify what documents are required to process the application. Again, the VSP website reminds us to check with the local clerk to determine what exactly what documentation is required. We know that SSNs are not required. Processing the application has more to do with the criminal history check, training, etc., than it does with investigating residency. VA requires new residents to obtain a VA DL within 30 days of residency (if you drive, of course). I suspect that a new resident would take care of this immediately if he was anticipating applying for a permit. Of course the DMV is picky about what documentation you need for a license or ID:

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/citizen/drivers/applying.asp

You will be required to show your proof of identity, legal presence, Virginia residency, and social security number documents on each return visit until your driver's license is issued.

Examples of proof of VA residency are:

Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement or residential rental/lease agreement

Utility bill, not more than two months old, issued to applicant. Examples include gas, electric, sewer, water, cable or phone bill. Cellular and pager bills are not accepted.

U.S. Postal Service change of address confirmation form or postmarked U.S. mail with forwarding address label

Virginia Voter Registration Card mailed to you by your local registrar

Monthly bank statement not more than two moths old issued by a bank

Payroll check stub issued by an employer within the last two months

Receipt for personal property taxes or real estate taxes paid within the last year to the Commonwealth of Virginia or a Virginia locality

Current automobile insurance policy or life insurance bill

U.S. Internal Revenue Service tax reporting W-2 form or 1099 form not more than 18 months old

U.S. or Virginia income tax return from the previous year along with evidence of acceptance of the return by the Internal Revenue Service

Annual Social Security Statement for the current or preceding calendar year

Certified copy of school records/transcript from a school in which applicant is currently enrolled, issued by a school accredited by a U.S. state, jurisdiction or territory OR a Virginia Department of Education Certificate or Enrollment form. (A report card is not accepted)

Last edited: