• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

camping/fishing in northern ogden from nevada

Mike In Reno

hey utah OC, im from reno, and im taking a week off work to go camping and fishing, i do not know anything about the gun laws in utah other than they are similar to the ones like here in nevada, could someone please give me the dos, and donts, thanks! i plan on OCing while im fishing, what are the laws reguarding loaded firearms and transportation?

manithree

Not knowing whether you have a CFP or not, I can't give any specifics for what you can and can't do, but there's a good quick reference here.

I don't know NV law, so I can't compare and contrast, but in Utah you can carry a loaded gun in your car (76-10-505), and your campsite (76-10-511) even without a CFP.

If you carry Utah unloaded (defined in 76-10-502) you can open carry without a CFP most places (no schools, federal buildings, secure medical facilities, secured areas of airports, etc.)

IANAL. This is not legal advice.

utbagpiper

Banned
hey utah OC, im from reno, and im taking a week off work to go camping and fishing, i do not know anything about the gun laws in utah other than they are similar to the ones like here in nevada, could someone please give me the dos, and donts, thanks! i plan on OCing while im fishing, what are the laws reguarding loaded firearms and transportation?

Mike,

In Utah a semi-auto handgun or a rifle/shotgun is generally not considered "loaded" unless there is a round in the chamber. Revolvers are a bit more complicated.

If you have a permit to carry issued anywhere in the nation it is valid in Utah on equal basis as a Utah permit (except maybe under federal law for the federal GFSZ). With a permit you can carry openly or discreetly (IE concealed), loaded or not, as you see fit. You may not conceal carry a shotgun.

Even without a permit, firearms may be carried concealed in your car. Handguns may be loaded in your car even without a permit. Long guns must be unloaded in your car unless you have a permit.

Generally speaking, even without a permit, you are going to be ok OCing a loaded handgun in the back country; though having a permit in hand will help in the rare event of an "opinion enforcement officer" encounter.

With or without a permit it is illegal to take a gun into any private home or house of worship that "gives notice" that guns are not welcome. In addition to a posted sign or direct verbal communication, a house of worship can give notice that guns are not welcome by posting on the BCI website at http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/CFchurch.html

At this time, only the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (aka Mormons or LDS) is using this method to notify; but all LDS houses of worship are thus legally off limits to privately owned firearms.

BCI has a general reference page at http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/CFreferences.html

Other than private houses or houses of worship (and a few government buildings including secure areas of airports) a "No Guns" sign carries no specific, legal weight in Utah. Private business may post, but violations are a matter of civil, not criminal, law unless you are so obstinate as to get hit with an actual criminal trespassing charge.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, and so on.

Enjoy your visit to Utah.

Charles