• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stephen Colbert's Congressional Testimony

Jack House

Freaking hilarious. :lol:

[video=youtube;k1T75jBYeCs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1T75jBYeCs[/video]

Last edited:

flagellum

I enjoyed it, though it was silly, I think there was of course a serious message to be taken from it. I think whether we need no make our borders more secure or not, we need serious reform in the realm of immigration. Around 4:18

Last edited:

Jack House

I enjoyed it, though it was silly, I think there was of course a serious message to be taken from it. I think whether we need no make our borders more secure or not, we need serious reform in the realm of immigration. Around 4:18
Indeed I noticed that too. I liked how he basically made a mockery of the congressmen. Hey clearly watched too much Iron Man 2. :lol:

I personally would like to see the immigration laws relaxed a bit. Not to the point where there is an open boarder, but also not where only the rich and lucky get through. I mean, I don't see an issue with people immigrating if they get a job, maintain their job, are self sufficient and don't break any laws. I would have an issue with people coming here enmasse and trying to change all the laws, committing serious crimes(who cares about jay walking) and/or living off of welfare or something.

buster81

Indeed I noticed that too. I liked how he basically made a mockery of the congressmen. Hey clearly watched too much Iron Man 2. :lol:

I personally would like to see the immigration laws relaxed a bit. Not to the point where there is an open boarder, but also not where only the rich and lucky get through. I mean, I don't see an issue with people immigrating if they get a job, maintain their job, are self sufficient and don't break any laws. I would have an issue with people coming here enmasse and trying to change all the laws, committing serious crimes(who cares about jay walking) and/or living off of welfare or something.

People are able to immigrate now if "they get a job, maintain their job, are self sufficient and don't break any laws." No relaxing of the laws required to meet these criteria.

gsx1138

People are able to immigrate now if "they get a job, maintain their job, are self sufficient and don't break any laws." No relaxing of the laws required to meet these criteria.

The immigration laws in this country are a red tape nightmare. Reform is needed. The entire process needs to be simplified and not contingent on who has the most money.

I thought the bit was semi-funny and I heard all the outrage from Hannity and the rest. Which they'll be outraged about anything a Liberal does. While being a waste of taxpayer money it's sad that a comedian in character makes more sense than the asshats sitting in front of him.

Last edited:

sonoran_Tj

No. But I have a friend who has. She had a job, and lived here. It took years to cut through the bullsh!t to get her citizenship.

Citizenship and legal immigration are two different steps in the process. You're saying you want to reform the immigration process because its too difficult to get citizenship? Thats a different argument.

buster81

No. But I have a friend who has. She had a job, and lived here. It took years to cut through the bullsh!t to get her citizenship.

I guess you got me beat then. I immigrated myself and didn't have a problem with either the immigration, or the citizenship process. And no, I don't have "the most money" as has been suggested is a criteria.

Which part did your friend find to be the most like "bullsh!t" and if years is too long, how long should it take?

Last edited:

Tawnos

I guess you got me beat then. I immigrated myself and didn't have a problem with either the immigration, or the citizenship process. And no, I don't have "the most money" as has been suggested is a criteria.

Which part did your friend find to be the most like "bullsh!t" and if years is too long, how long should it take?

Where did you emigrate from?

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Much discussion is not happening on the innertubez about the Colbert testimony reportage being used to overshadow the Coates testimony. A few pundits have weighed in with speculation.

In either case the money quote is probably "there is a law against contempt of Congress, but not contempt for Congress."

stay safe.

NRAMARINE

The word "citizen" these days is bull$#!+. A citizen is someone who takes an active part in the protection, and prosperity of their community. A citizen takes personal responsibility for maintaining the integrity of their nation, and upholding not only it's laws but also it's traditions and core values. Just being born here should not make you a citizen, a legal resident, but not a citizen. Why do we allow people to vote who have no interest in actually understanding the system? These people simply vote in whoever gives them icecream and welfare checks. The word citizen is a joke today. It used to mean something real. Now all it means is so called "entitlements".

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I respectfully disagree.

"Citizen" in/of the USA means someone legally entitled to vote in the elections of this country. There is no law requiring the citizen to know what s/he is doimg by casting their vote.

We may wish there was such a law. But I for one fear what that would mean and result in.

stay safe.

Daylen

I'd go for a poll tax per item:

1$ for one vote
100$ for 2nd vote
10,000$ for 3rd vote
100,000$ for 4th vote
10,000,000$ for 5th vote
1B$ for 6th vote

If your candidate looses you get yer money back.