• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying with a handgun

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
I'll be flying from SD to ID in a couple weeks. I've never flown with any type of firearm. I know that it can be done and that many do it. Is it difficult to check a handgun? Does it add a lot of time to checking in and out?

Notso

Campaign Veteran
I'll be flying from SD to ID in a couple weeks. I've never flown with any type of firearm. I know that it can be done and that many do it. Is it difficult to check a handgun? Does it add a lot of time to checking in and out?

I fly with a firearm all the time on Southwest. Very easy to do, firearm has to be in a locked case - make sure it's unloaded, but the mag can be stored in the same case. You declare the firearm at the ticket counter, they give you a little card to sign and put in with the gun. If you're checking other luggage, it's virtually no additional time, maybe a few minutes. I'd go to the website of whichever airline you're flying to get the details, or give them a call.

Last edited:

elixin77

I fly with a firearm all the time on Southwest. Very easy to do, firearm has to be in a locked case - make sure it's unloaded, but the mag can be stored in the same case. You declare the firearm at the ticket counter, they give you a little card to sign and put in with the gun. If you're checking other luggage, it's virtually no additional time, maybe a few minutes. I'd go to the website of whichever airline you're flying to get the details, or give them a call.

+1

I've transported a paintball gun before, and they follow the same guidelines.

What you *may* have to do, is open the case in front of an NSA official, but after he checks it out, make sure you have a lock on there that is not NSA approved (think a huge freakin' masterlock if its possible). Make sure you don't keep film in the case either, because they are going to xray the piss out of it, and probably do that more than once.

Other than that, its actually fairly easy to move a firearm around the states on an airplane. Just get to the airport about 10-15 mins earlier so you can deal with the NSA officials.

swinokur

Activist Member
The lock on the case must be one that only you have the key to. NO TSA locks. Read the TSA and airilne regs before you fly. Airlines have both ammo weight and capacity restrictions on how many handguns can be packed in he locked case. Example United allows 11 pounds of ammo but Alaska air allows 50 pounds. If you do things as outlined, you should be delayed about 5-10 minutes depending on how far the TSA scanner is from the check in desk.

Ammo needs to be in original containers. Some airlines allow loaded mags as long as the open end is covered (ie mag carrier) Some don't. I don't do it.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.sht

45acpForMe

There is a really good video of how to fly with guns or other valuables. It is in another thread about flying with firearms if you do a search. I used a pelican case with abloy locks and had no problems other than the checkin delay of declaring it.

The only issues I have heard of is if you get in a situation where you fly through an anti state and miss a connection or flight is cancelled. There was a case in NJ or NY where a guys flight was cancelled and the airline gave him his luggage since he was going to have to spend the night. He was arrested since it wasn't legal for him to take possession of the firearm in that state.

Read up on the states laws and you should be fine. I flew through Denver (to and out of) and about the only thing I had to worry about was not to OC in Denver propper.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

swinokur

Activist Member
If you have a rental car in NJ, the recent court case denied the plaintiff's appeal because he had "access" to his firearm while in the hotel. I took this to mean if you leave it the trunk, you would be OK.

I may be reading into the ruling, but it's like OC in my opinion. If there is no prohibition, you're OK

Again, the court denied the appeal because the plaintiff took the suitcase to his room, not because it was anywhere else.

swinokur

Activist Member
only as long as it takes to get to the baggage carousel.

after reading Ed's link, his advice is best. don't take possession of the weapon , i wouldn't even go get my clothes out of it. NJ is so screwed up they would prosecute you for going into your suitcase to retrieve a change of clothes. The Port Authority cops are just as bad.

Last edited: