• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Might be moving to Alaska, need help.

March Hare

Hey guys, I might be moving to Alaska for a job. I was wondering how I would be able to get my handguns up there without needing to go through an FFL; as I am under 21. Can I get a little help?

Are you flying or driving?

If you are flying, you can get a locking case and transport the guns that way.
Check with your airline to see what their rules are, I fly with firearms on occasion, it's usually no problem.
What the laws are in Alaska as far as when you arrive, someone here will have to help you with that question.

If you're driving... that's a whole different thing.

-MH

aadvark

Do not go through Canada with any Firearms, unless; you have gained prior permission from the Canadian Consulate.
Needless to say, Canada is a whole 'Different Animal' when it comes to Firearms.
British Columbia tends to be more anti-Firearm than what does: 1. Alberta, 2. Saskatcehwan, 3. Manitoba, 4. NorthWest Territories, 5. Yukon, and 6. Nunavut.

Last edited:

wewd

You can take firearms through Canada, but they have very strict rules on what guns may be taken into the country. Any type of gun that is "Prohibited" in Canada cannot be taken under any circumstances. "Restricted" guns can be taken through, but you would have to jump through a lot of hoops to do so. Most handguns fall into the Restricted category, unless they have certain features such as a barrel shorter than 105mm, then they are Prohibited. Other types of guns that are not Prohibited or Restricted can usually be taken through after being declared at the border and the appropriate forms and fees paid.

More complete information can be found here: http://panda.com/canadaguns/

It's probably best to just ship the guns to yourself through a common carrier such as UPS. A friend of mine did this, and drove to Alaska with the rest of his belongings, but he brought his Mossberg 590 with him as he doesn't like to travel without a firearm. He pre-filled out the necessary forms, declared it at the border, and paid the fee. It was a simple process. Customs officers see guns come through all the time, both legal and illegal, and they won't freak out when you tell them you are declaring a firearm. Americans and Canadians cross the border both ways every day with guns, especially to hunt, and it's really no big deal. As long as the guns are legal, you'll be fine.

Nanook

Canada is best avoided, even with the appropriate paperwork. I have heard several reports from friends who have been detained and hassled by Canadian customs officials at the border when they attempted to travel through Canada to/from Alaska. A common tactic: "We have to confirm the validity of this paperwork. We will call the Firearms Center when it opens on Monday; they are closed today. You are welcome to wait for 2 days until we can get in touch with them......"

I had mine shipped up here by my movers, but I made the shipper put in writing that they would not attempt to ship household goods by truck up the Al-Can Highway, and specify in writing that they would only ship the container by barge through Seattle. Note that the moving crew showed up with paperwork that didn't specify this agreement, and so I had to send them back to the office to get the paperwork corrected; read the fine print before signing!

I know someone who shipped Fed/Ex or UPS up here care of himself (as per the ATF recommendation).....very expensive (Next Day Air required!) but otherwise uneventful.

Once you get your firearms up here, open or concealed carry is your choice. We have Constitutional Carry here, as I'm sure you know, and so you don't need a permit to do either. Alaska is the most liberty-friendly state in the country!!

Welcome to Alaska!

Last edited:

Hugin

You can drive to Washington state and take the Alaskan Marine Highway (Ferry system) up (with your car).

Nanook

Excellent point. Be sure to check your weapons with the ship's Purser upon arrival and don't forget to reserve a cabin....the trip will take several days.

28kfps

Might be moving to Alaska, need help.

Bring a jacket.

Looks like great advice answering your question, just wanted to throw in a little humor.

Last edited:

Baradium

Once you get your firearms up here, open or concealed carry is your choice. We have Constitutional Carry here, as I'm sure you know, and so you don't need a permit to do either. Alaska is the most liberty-friendly state in the country!!

Welcome to Alaska!

I don't have the time right now to try to find this, but I thought you had to be 21 to CC in Alaska?

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
I don't have the time right now to try to find this, but I thought you had to be 21 to CC in Alaska?

Yes, that is correct. If under 21, you may carry a firearm but it can't be concealed.

AS 11.61.220. Misconduct Involving Weapons in the Fifth Degree.

(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person

(1) is 21 years of age or older and knowingly possesses a deadly weapon, other than an ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon,

(A) that is concealed on the person, and, when contacted by a peace officer, the person fails to

(i) immediately inform the peace officer of that possession; or

(ii) allow the peace officer to secure the deadly weapon, or fails to secure the weapon at the direction of the peace officer, during the duration of the contact;

(B) that is concealed on the person within the residence of another person unless the person has first obtained the express permission of an adult residing there to bring a concealed deadly weapon within the residence;

(2) knowingly possesses a loaded firearm on the person in any place where intoxicating liquor is sold for consumption on the premises;

(3) being an unemancipated minor under 16 years of age, possesses a firearm without the consent of a parent or guardian of the minor;

(4) knowingly possesses a firearm

(A) within the grounds of or on a parking lot immediately adjacent to an entity, other than a private residence, licensed as a child care facility under AS 47.32 or recognized by the federal government for the care of children, except that a person 21 years of age or older may posses an unloaded firearm in the trunk of a motor vehicle or encased in a closed container of a motor vehicle;

(B) within a

(i) courtroom or office of the Alaska Court System; or

(ii) courthouse that is occupied only by the Alaska Court System and other justice-related agencies; or

(C) within a domestic violence or sexual assault shelter that receives funding from the state;

(5) possesses or transports a switchblade or a gravity knife; or

(6) is less than 21 years of age and knowingly possesses a deadly weapon, other than an ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon, that is concealed on the person.

In other words, a person from 16 through 20 years of age may carry a firearm so long as it is not concealed. A person 21 years of age or older may carry a firearm concealed or openly.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
So those who may need firearms most can't have them?

The intent of the law is to charge people who may enter the shelter with a firearm intending to harm the occupants or staff. Think abusive spouse PO'd because his/her favorite victim is in the shelter.

sharkey

The intent of the law is to charge people who may enter the shelter with a firearm intending to harm the occupants or staff. Think abusive spouse PO'd because his/her favorite victim is in the shelter.

I understood the intent of the law with it's feel good legislation. In reality, it will not prevent someone determined to inflict harm from doing so. It only serves to disarm the victims. I saw no exception for the residents.

I see no difference from any other gun free zone.

Last edited:

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
I understood the intent of the law with it's feel good legislation. In reality, it will not prevent someone determined to inflict harm from doing so. It only serves to disarm the victims. I saw no exception for the residents.

I see no difference from any other gun free zone.

I didn't say I thought the law served any useful purpose.

talonhead

Ferry with firearms.

The Ferry company does warn about firearms because they do go through Canada waters.
Am considering the move myself.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
I just read up on this today, as I'm planning a vacation. Here's the relevant info from Alaska Marine Highway System's website .

Walk-on passengers traveling with legal firearms or weapons on AMHS vessels are required to check these items with an AMHS employee. All firearms must be unloaded and ammunition stowed separately from the firearms. Unloaded firearms may be securely locked in passengers' vehicles.

As far as Canada goes, if you board a ferry in Bellingham, WA that goes straight to Ketchikan, AK, you never entered Canada and their rules do not apply. Whose waters you transited makes no difference. Just like if you board a plane in Phoenix and travel to Alaska, it doesn't matter that you flew over California or even Canada...as evidenced in the paragraph about ID requirements from the same page of the AMHS website:

After June 1, 2009 all U.S. citizens travelling through Canada will be required to show their passport. Driver's licenses or birth certificates alone may no longer be accepted as proof of citizenship. Traveling onboard an AMHS vessel between Bellingham, Washington and Ketchikan, Alaska these rules and restrictions do not apply, although the vessel travels through Canadian waters.

I would drive my car onto the ferry at Bellingham with the guns locked in the trunk and enjoy the 36 hour ride to Ketchikan.