• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travel from CA to MT

sigfan06

I'm planning on taking a road trip from California to Montana in the next few months, and was wondering if anybody here could point to the laws regarding OC while traveling through Nevada, Idaho, and Montana. I've the maps and google, but wading through all that legal speak to find a section about machine guns isn't helping much. If anyone has any tips or some solid backing with the laws in these states, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to OC, and look forward to being able to exercise those rights.

Thank you all,
Matt

eye95

I will leave it to the experts on the States you will be traveling through to give you more substantive answers. I just wanted to say...

Once you get to Montana, stay there. Don't go back to California!

ISRAEL

I'm planning on taking a road trip from California to Montana in the next few months, and was wondering if anybody here could point to the laws regarding OC while traveling through Nevada, Idaho, and Montana. I've the maps and google, but wading through all that legal speak to find a section about machine guns isn't helping much. If anyone has any tips or some solid backing with the laws in these states, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to OC, and look forward to being able to exercise those rights.

Thank you all,
Matt

You can O.C. in all Idaho, this means fully loaded, inside your car the gun has to be visible on your hip, Idaho is a golden star state, you can go almost every place O.Cing, and welcome to Idaho.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I am not a expert but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn ONCE....

Once you leave CALIFORNIA..... Nevada, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Montana ALL RECOGNIZE YOUR RIGHTS TO SELF DEFENSE WITH A FIREARM.
I am assuming that you don't have a carry permit, If this assumption is incorrect, please forgive me.

Open carry is good to go in Nevada, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, and Montana
In Utah in your car you are able to carry openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded as you desire provided you are of age to possess a firearm and are legally in possession of the vehicle. Without a permit in Utah outside your car... the weapon must be unloaded (Utah defined Unloaded with semi-auto as "an empty chamber" Full mag inserted into weapon is just fine.... with a revolver, the cylinder under the hammer and the next in rotation must be empty, so with a 5 shot revolver you would be limited to 3 live rounds" Just remember IN the car fully loaded is just fine OUTSIDE the car without permit must meet Utah's definition of Utah unloaded!
In Idaho in the car the firearm must be clearly visible if you don't have a permit.

Go to the Map option at the top of the page and select the one labled OPEN CARRY and then the one lable TRAVEL....

YOUR questions will be answered.

Last edited:

sigfan06

Joe, to the best of your knowledge, do Nevada, Idaho or Montanta place limits on wether it can be fully load, as in my Cali 10s plus one in the pipe?

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited: