• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drug Interdiction Area stops on I-90 @ Coeur d'Alene Lake

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
I was very glad that I was passenger in another's (local well known pastor, even recognizing one of the cops) vehicle yesterday as I observed the subject signs and their clearly non-random stops.

Has the state police made any argument of their legality/constitutionality? How are guns handled in these stops, if anyone can speak from authority/experience?

As I said, I was in another's car and my weapons related business had been already completed. An explosives-sniffing dog, rather than the drug-sniffers advertised, would have gotten a woody for the odors on my clothes.

DCR

Interdiction stops

Very interesting...haven't explored whether they are legal in Idaho. DUI roadblocks are unconstitutional in Idaho per a court case decades ago, but don't know about interdictions. One has to wonder how a DUI checkpoint/roadblock is unconstitutional but a drug interdiction checkpoint/roadblock would be allowable.

Certainly, a person carrying a weapon can be expected to be treated the same as he would in any other traffic stop, but it may be different if they're pulling people out of cars and running a drug dog around their vehicle and notice at that time the driver or passenger was carrying. They'd probably want to do all the same things that happen when they encounter an open carrier any other time - secure the weapon, identify the person, run them for wants/warrants...and react the same way when the carrier exercises his right to remain silent, not show ID, etc.

How did the contact go? It'd be interesting to hear about your experience, and see if any criminal cases were made as a result of the interdiction, particularly if the constitutionality of the checkpoint/roadblock is challenged.

Gunslinger

I'm surprised this went on in ID, a free state. Sounds like something they'd do in the PDRs. Unless they had RAS, I don't see any gun problems occuring. And I believe this is a violation of the 4A on its face. What exactly was going on, Doug?

aadvark

According to Information that I gathered on the Internet, the following States have Prohibitions, Constitutional or otherwise, on the use of RoadBlocks: 1. Alaska, 2. Idaho, 3. Iowa , 4. Michigan, 5. Minnesota, 6. Oregon, 7. Rhode Island, 8. Texas, 9. Washington, 10. Wisconsin, and 11. Wyoming.

I was surprised that Iowa and Minnesota Reconizes 4th Amendment Rights, but not 2nd Amendment Rights.