• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Update on Tennessee Gun Confiscation - Habeas Armas, Habeas Armas!!!

Thundar

:banghead:Sad state of Law Enforcement in Tennessee. Follow up to original AK confiscation in Tennessee story.

...Officer Loftis then asked with no probable cause, if I had any drugs or weapons in the car. I told Him no drugs, but that I did have a pistol in a locked box, locked in the trunk of the car. Officer Loftis asked me if I had a permit for the pistol, and I said No, that permits were not necessary in Colorado except for the CCW. His response was that we weren’t in Colorado, we were in Tennessee and that in Tennessee, permits for handguns were required. (Permits to “CARRY” handguns are required in Tennessee-but there are NO permits required to POSSESS handguns, rifles or shotguns in Tennessee)...:cuss:

Link: http://restoretheconstitution.wordp...nd-update-on-gun-confiscation-incident-in-tn/

suntzu

:banghead:Sad state of Law Enforcement in Tennessee. Follow up to original AK confiscation in Tennessee story.

...Officer Loftis then asked with no probable cause, if I had any drugs or weapons in the car. I told Him no drugs, but that I did have a pistol in a locked box, locked in the trunk of the car. Officer Loftis asked me if I had a permit for the pistol, and I said No, that permits were not necessary in Colorado except for the CCW. His response was that we weren’t in Colorado, we were in Tennessee and that in Tennessee, permits for handguns were required. (Permits to “CARRY” handguns are required in Tennessee-but there are NO permits required to POSSESS handguns, rifles or shotguns in Tennessee)...:cuss:

Link: http://restoretheconstitution.wordp...nd-update-on-gun-confiscation-incident-in-tn/

Permits are not required to have a handgun in TN as long as the handgun is separated from the ammunition and not accessible--ammunition in the trunk, weapon in the rear seat or locked in a container.

The "officer" involved should be fired--but alas that will never happen--but that is the state of law enforcement in this state.

Last edited:

Oh Shoot

I find the whole saga somewhat unbelievable, myself.

Would love to hear the "rest of the story".

- OS

HvyMtl

After reading, I get more questions than answers. Can the fellow re-write it? Cause it seems he may have consented to search, when there was no need to, among other things.

And never talk on and on to a Cop. It, sadly, may lead to things you do not want. For example - Cop asks "Do you have any drugs in car?" Fellow says,"No, but I have guns." Um. Cop asked the question to do some fishing, and this fellow took the bait. The answer is," No, sir." NOT: "No, but...."

And the way the event unfolds seems to be missing information...

IF it is close to what he says, he should get an attorney involved. But, that wont fire the Trooper.

Last edited:

Thos.Jefferson

After reading, I get more questions than answers. Can the fellow re-write it? Cause it seems he may have consented to search, when there was no need to, among other things.

And never talk on and on to a Cop. It, sadly, may lead to things you do not want. For example - Cop asks "Do you have any drugs in car?" Fellow says,"No, but I have guns." Um. Cop asked the question to do some fishing, and this fellow took the bait. The answer is," No, sir." NOT: "No, but...."

And the way the event unfolds seems to be missing information...

IF it is close to what he says, he should get an attorney involved. But, that wont fire the Trooper.

The best answer is "Are my papers in order?" "Am I free to go?"

suntzu

...Officer Loftis then asked with no probable cause, if I had any drugs or weapons in the car. I told Him no drugs, but that I did have a pistol in a locked box, locked in the trunk of the car.

I have cut this section down because this is the most relevant part to me. The "officer"--and I use that term loosely, does not need any PC to ask you questions. You simply have to keep your head and refuse to answer them. He asks--do you have any drugs or guns in the car. The dialog should have went something like this I think:
Officer: do you have any drugs/weapons in the car?
Citizen: what was the reason for this stop again officer?
Officer: answers something not related to weapons/drugs..
Citizen: Am I required to answer that question officer, because if not I choose to exercise my right to not speak to you and instead concentrate on the reason for the stop.
Officer: Takes you out of the car.
Citizen: locks the door, locking keys in car but keeping spare door key in pocket/shoe/favorite place
Officer: Asks for permission to search.
Citizen: CLEARLY REFUSES consent to search vehicle.

they CAN ask you anything they want--but you CAN refuse to answer.

merely refusing to answer does not give them grounds to search your car--and considering it would all be on their dashcam video and/or your audio--it will be a valuable tool in pursuing a suit against the officer if he/she/they insist on violating your rights.

Gundude

I decline to answer any questions without legal advice.
I do not consent to a search of my person or my car.
Close pie hole.