• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grpc now!

cato

So far I've meet up with Condition Three & BigToe416! Who else is here? Also some empty holster carriers from Antioch!

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Good to meet with the two that started it all (my favorite cop and the first brave soul who dared openly carry in CA and write about it for all to see). Saw a couple of women from the East Bay that I've seen before on various videos. I was looking for JJ but didn't see him anywhere. I recorded the audio of a few of the speakers. I'll see how it came out later and post it if it is decent.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
2010 Gun Rights Policy Conference

In spite of my misgivings towards the hotel's announced policy, counter to my dislike for long drives and the fact that I dispise the trappings of city life; traffic jams, large crowds of people, strange odors, and toll roads, and the fact that I had to drive through San Fransisco; a city that is in opposition to all my sensibilities, surrounded by water and bridges situated in a geologically unstable fault zone that threatens to trap hundreds of thousands of refugees in a cinematically apocolyptic distaster...

I went to the conference anyway.

I was pleased to see Cato again (I think the last we'd met was April 08), and had the opportunity to meet Bigtoe16, puppy8agun upon arrival.

I am disappointed that I did not see or get to meet more local OCDO denizens at this event... Since this is in your backyard, you had less reason than I did, not to attend and see the rockstars of the gun rights community. If you decided not to go solely because the hotel prohibited open carry, you missed out on a great opportunity not only to hear Alan Gura, Don Kilmer, Tom Gresham, Alan Gottlieb, Massad Ayoob, and others speak, but to keep an open dialogue with the Calguns membership and develop cross memberships with other pro-gun rights organizations like SAF, the CRPA and others. Aside from someone open carrying an empty holster (who I did not observe), I appeared to be the only obvious proponent for OC, advertising with my new t-shirt.

grpc001.jpg

This, unfortunately is the sign that greeted us when I arrived. This is the reason why WE dont ask a private business permission to carry. This is the reason why WE dont ask a private business what their 'weapons policy' is in advance. Either of these enquiries will increase the probability of the business saying "NO" or creating a 'weapons policy' that they did not already have in place, to a near CERTAINTY. I am told that this sign and the policy that the Hyatt Regency instituted came about because people asked. People 'asking' creates contraversy, which means media attention, protestors, and threats which the Hyatt Regency translates correctly into diminished room sales, loss of contracted event space and cancelled reservations. Had no one started asking these questions it might have been another open carry non-event-- particularly because the venue goers were all gun rights supporters.

grpc003.jpg

This is just outside the conference-

grpc012.jpg

And Alan Gura speaking- sorry for the long shot and focus.

cato

Any news to report from the event?

Ya, big development is that as a result of Sykes, Sheriff McGuinnes has started accepting 'Self Defense' as good cause. If you live in Sac. Co. go get your license to carry! The case is not over but it looks like Sac. wants out and Yolo will fight and get stuck with the bill. :)

It was great to see and meet everyone who was there.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Ya, big development is that as a result of Sykes, Sheriff McGuinnes has started accepting 'Self Defense' as good cause. If you live in Sac. Co. go get your license to carry! The case is not over but it looks like Sac. wants out and Yolo will fight and get stuck with the bill. :)

A lot of folk here down CGF, but they just freed 1.3 million people of Sacramento County from the clutches of may-issue, something the NRA couldn't do for the last 3 decades. Since Yolo County fought it too, they'll likely be stuck with the attorneys fees for the plaintiffs. This is excellent news.

coolusername2007

How is asking (and paying) for a permission slip for a fundamental right equate to being free? I'm glad they are safer, but they are not yet free...far from it.

FYI...I saw that line given in one of the speeches...didn't agree with it when I heard it either.

dfy

Not familiar with that

a google search key=" Sykes, Sheriff McGuinnes" did not enlighten me. Can you give some contextual information?

tia dfy