• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Area students working on documentary about open carry law

ccwinstructor

Centurion
RACINE - Madison Richards and Samantha Noll, both 14 and high school freshmen, don't shy away from controversial subjects. They hit them head-on with a video camera in hand.

This year they are turning their cameras toward the issue of the Second Amendment and the state's open carry law.

"Everybody has a viewpoint," said Richards, a freshman at Horlick High School. "It's a relative issue to Racine and Wisconsin and the United States in general."

It's an issue that has been in the spotlight recently, especially in Wisconsin after two men in Madison were arrested Saturday who were openly carrying firearms and then refused to provide identification when police questioned them. Members of gun rights organizations say police had no reason to suspect the men were felons and question them.

This is all part of the issue the two local teens are targeting.

They won a C-SPAN documentary contest earlier this year with a documentary about the potential of nuclear energy to meet energy needs.

Now they are entering the contest again this year and they were asked to tell about an issue or event that helps the community better understand the role of the federal government.

The pair originally discussed ideas such as sewage dumpage or the value of NASA. But in the end they decided on something that they considered even more controversial: open carry, the ability to carry a weapon in public as long as it is clearly visible.

Noll, who is a freshman at Case High School, said she thinks open carry is wrong.

"Gun control nowadays is horrible," said Noll, who eventually wants to go into public relations.

On the other hand, Richards said she believes guns are dangerous, but she doesn't have enough information to make a decision yet.

"I don't have a real opinion yet. I'm still researching," said Richards, who wants to film documentaries professionally as a career.

Even though Noll said she is against open carry now, she said she sometimes changes her mind during her research after hearing new viewpoints.

http://www.journaltimes.com/news/local/article_37c6406a-c7cc-11df-b92e-001cc4c002e0.html

Perhaps some people in the area can invite these two young ladies to an open carry event.

M

McX

with all the activity, they will probably find their way to me. the ones from the press will be referred to wisconsincarry- as in no comment. the documentary kids show up we'll cooperate. just daily living, not as impressive as an OC event, nothing to see here folks.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
with all the activity, they will probably find their way to me. the ones from the press will be referred to wisconsincarry- as in no comment. the documentary kids show up we'll cooperate. just daily living, not as impressive as an OC event, nothing to see here folks.

I sent an email, yesterday, to the reporter who compiled this story. These students sound like smart and motivated individuals. One of the students expressed the fact that she is open-minded, but currently does not support open-carry.

I can't wait to speak with her. A smart girl like herself will be quick to embrace a more intellectually expansive proposition of principle which empowers the law-abiding at the expense of criminals who would do them harm.

MKEgal

A smart girl like herself will be quick to embrace a more intellectually expansive proposition of principle which empowers the law-abiding at the expense of criminals who would do them harm.

Pssst - hey, Nik - the kids are only 14.
Try dropping the register of your vocabulary a few grade levels. ;)
I do know a few 14 year-olds who could follow you, but odds are these 2 aren't in Mensa.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
The girls were at Starbucks today. Great kids. I'm confident their horizons were expanded today and these girls are well on their way to a common sense freedom-minded view of gun carry by law-abiding persons.