• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time OC in AL

topcat

Finally made it to AL today via the Silver Comet/ Chief Ladiga trail, but only rode about 2.5 miles into AL before turning around. OC'd all day. Stopped at the gateway and talked to a Boy Scout troop (32 in all) and the leaders. No one paid any attention to the Glock on my side. Passed four teenage girls out walking, and one said to me as I passed, "I like your gun". It was a good day,yesiree.

topcat

"I like your gun"

My point was that nobody I passed while biking on the trail "freaked out" over my open carry, not even a bunch of teenage girls.

topcat

I understand. Just want to keep it family friendly here. Planning to ride from the Chief Ladiga welcome center in Piedmont to the AL/GA line. Anyone have any experience OC'g in Piedmont, Calhoun CO or Cleburne CO?

aadvark

Cleburne County thinks Open Carry is Illegal.

Their Sheriff Office WILL cite 13A-11-52 against any Open Carrier, if the Firearm is a Handgun.

I was told this at The Cleburne County Jail by two different Sheriff Deputies, and a Female Assistant.

Kirbinator

Thing is... if you're OC and you don't give off the vibe that you're nervous or doing something illegal... most Alabamians are simply not going to give you more than a second glance. If you're completely at ease with a weapon on your side... the public will be too. Even if you're in the wrong, they'll assume you're in the right. It is Alabama after all... a lot of folks will see it and say "Huh, I guess that is legal here."