• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lacey in Violation of Preemption

DoomGoober

The city of Lacey prohibits firearms in parks. I could not find anything in their local ordinances, but the restriction also appears on their website (http://www.ci.lacey.wa.us/city-gove...pal-parks/park-rules-and-regulations-overview)

I searched the forums but couldn't find any other mention. I sent an email (below) to their City Attorney. Who else should I be contacting?

Thanks. Letter as follows:

Attorney Ahlf --
On a recent visit to Lacey's Regional Athletic Complex, I noticed signs prohibiting firearms. The Lacey website also mentions a prohibition on firearms in parks (http://www.ci.lacey.wa.us/city-gove...pal-parks/park-rules-and-regulations-overview).

Unfortunately, these prohibitions violate WA State's firearms preemption: RCW 9.41.290 and RCW 9.41.300, which gives the state sole regulatory powers over firearms regulations.

To bring Lacey in line with State Law, the city should remove prohibitions on firearms on signs in parks, from the website and from local ordinances where applicable. The city can instead legally prohibit the discharge of firearms but not the possession of firearms (as allowed by RCW 9.41.300).

Thank you! Please let me know if there's someone else I should be contacting regarding this issue. The RAC is a wonderful place and a marvelous gem in Lacey.

Alexander

jt59

This is a good start...but, you should also find out who will make the decision....most likely the city council...and you'll need to send a letter to them.

If it's anything like Pierce County, an ordinance will be sponsored by one of the council members...and then it goes through their process...the council chair or if it is broken into districts, find out where you live and who that is...and make (consensual) contact.

:lol:

amlevin

We need a "Form Letter" that can have the blanks filled in and then sent to any City or County that has non-conforming Park "Rules/Regulations". That way all the appropriate Citations can be included. RCW's, AG Opinion, Court Rulings, can all be accurately listed.

xxx.jakk.xxx

dont forget that both Roy and Yelm are in violation of preemption in parks as well...

I had the codes somewhere but cant find them right now....

Isn't Seattle, too? I know I heard a while back that they banned them in parks, I just don't know if anyone got them to remove that rule, though.

DoomGoober

Thank you NavyLT. I'm having problems with the search on OpenCarry.org -- it shows you threads with the keywords, but doesn't actually take you to the page with the keyword. "Lacey" showed up a couple of times, but I couldn't find a specific mention.

Lacey's Regional Athletic Complex sign is particularly interesting. It says something like: "Explosive devices for launching projectiles, weapons or otherwise, are prohibited."

I think they were trying to ban fireworks, handguns and rockets all in one sentence.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Meeting time

Let's try to get max participation! (Are we allowed to OC at City Hall?)
Here is her resonse I got today:
Thank, you for the quick reply, I will try to make it. I will also let others in the community know as well.

Thanks,

Chuck Story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: RE: Illegal Rules
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:35:58 -0700
To: storyc@hotmail.com

Thank you, Charles.

The Park Board is meeting tonight at Lacey City Hall at 5:30pm to consider a revision to our rules regarding this. You may attend the meeting, please call me if you need directions. If you don’t attend, I will reply to you tomorrow with the action taken.

Sincerely,

Lori

Lori Flemm

Lori Flemm, Director

City of Lacey Parks and Recreation Dept.

PO Box 3400, Lacey, WA 98509-3400

City Hall, 420 College St. SE, Lacey, WA 98503

FAX 360.438.2669

massivedesign

Yes, you are allowed to OC at the city hall. I was there 2 Saturdays ago and again last Saturday. There are no signs at the door saying otherwise, and it is not in a restricted area.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
We Win!

Well to be correct a "win" involves a contest or battle, it was over before I got to the Parks and Rec meeting. After the e-mails we sent to the Parks Director, she went to the city attorney and they decided it was pretty much a no brainer and decided they were not in compliance with state law. She contacted the Lacey Police CPT and informed them to get the word out to all in the Dept. to not bother anybody that is legally carrying. She is going to send me an e-mail confirming this, which I will post. Obviously as with most city/county/state budgets they will not be able to get all the signs changed right away. They said as time permits they will paint over/remove the word gun/firearm. They said they should be able to get at least the website changed pretty quick. That will pretty much be around the end of OCT when they officially vote on the changes (our gun change was just one of many). Overall it was a very positive encounter, I answered a couple of questions and handed out our WA pamphlet.

joejoejoe

We need a "Form Letter" that can have the blanks filled in and then sent to any City or County that has non-conforming Park "Rules/Regulations". That way all the appropriate Citations can be included. RCW's, AG Opinion, Court Rulings, can all be accurately listed.

This is a great idea! I don't know the cases that can be cited, but I know the RCWs. If anyone wants to send me the cases to cite, I can put something together.

Joe~

massivedesign

Well to be correct a "win" involves a contest or battle, it was over before I got to the Parks and Rec meeting. After the e-mails we sent to the Parks Director, she went to the city attorney and they decided it was pretty much a no brainer and decided they were not in compliance with state law. She contacted the Lacey Police CPT and informed them to get the word out to all in the Dept. to not bother anybody that is legally carrying. She is going to send me an e-mail confirming this, which I will post. Obviously as with most city/county/state budgets they will not be able to get all the signs changed right away. They said as time permits they will paint over/remove the word gun/firearm. They said they should be able to get at least the website changed pretty quick. That will pretty much be around the end of OCT when they officially vote on the changes (our gun change was just one of many). Overall it was a very positive encounter, I answered a couple of questions and handed out our WA pamphlet.

Well done sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:monkey

DoomGoober

Awesome! Well done everyone. I just got this back from the City Attorney of Lacey:

---
Alexander:

The City's Board of Park Commissioners is currently considering possible
changes to the Park Regulations regarding possession of fire arms.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the RAC.

Ken Ahlf
---

I'm impressed with Lacey's timeliness and professionalism. Anyone who lives and votes in a Lacey should take note!

Alexander