• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mansfield-Shelby OCers

redlinestg2

I was just wondering if there were any fellow OCers around this area. Im in the Army National Guard unit in Mansfield/Ashland. I'm getting people from my unit and friends together to do a walk here in Shelby because a guy I talked to here in Shelby said he called the LEOs here in Shelby and asked about OC and they said that they wouldn't recommend doing it because they will be arrested. For what? I dont know. Same with Mansfield. A guy called the law director in Mansfield and said that there were no laws against it but wasn't sure how that police would react to it. Which is complete BS but as we all know....LEOs do not what us to take their spot light from them. I have a 7mo old girl and I dont want to walk her down the street OCing and a cop aim his weapon at my daugther because there is a "man with a gun". Let me know what you guys think. Anyone interested...?

JSlack7851

Hello, sounds like your new to OC. It is usually prudent to write, call, or E-Mail the Police Chief, or Sheriff, or head Ranger, depending which dept. you are having trouble with. Attempt to resolve, or assess the policies of the Dept. first hand. Not from a 'guy you talked too'.

LEO usually always 'recommend' OC is 'not recommended'. Especially the road patrol officers. Don't argue with the grunts, go to the Chief's. Also you need to be on level ground with them. Familiar with the Ohio Revised Codes: ORC 9.68, Inducing Panic, Disorderly Conduct, Terry vs. Ohio. Do you know what RAS is? Do you have a voice recorder?

You could learn a lot by joining another OC group, whether at a picnic, or a meeting somewhere. My friends, Rottman, Lthrnck, and Theqbn have meetings on a regular basis and post them in here.

A actual OC protest is usually the last resort after other methods are exhausted.

redlinestg2

I did actually call the supervisor on duty a few days ago. He was one of the Captains here in Shelby. I called the none emergency line to the police dept. and she forwarded me to his voice mail. I left him a breif message. I did not tell him excatly what I wanted to talk to him about but I told him I was a resident here in Shelby and I had some concerns and gave him my phone number to call me back at his earliest convience. That was about a week ago. Still have not had a call back. I didnt tell him I wanted to talk to him about OC because I didnt want him to brush me off. We all know it is a lot easier to brush someone off over the phone. Tell me what you guys think. Your help is much appreciated. Im not sure if you all know but the City of Clevland is challangeing the Ohio Supreme Court on the preemption of the gun laws here in Ohio because Clevland is very against the OC laws here.

They are holding a hearing at the Ohio Supreme Court Building in Columbus Oct 12th. I will definitly be there to hear Clevland's side of the story. I wish that everyone on here could be there. If you read this post please tell everyone you can in support of keeping the laws the way they should be. Thanks again.

JSlack7851

You left a message with the Captain. Now get the Chief's voicemail. If there's a Law Director, he's next. Then its the Mayor, the elected official who has to answer to the voters.

Its not fast. The Darby Creek Metro park we walked on 9-26 started July 01. Keep trying.

You could always go to the PD and ask to see the Chief and start a dialog with him, if he's interested, you'll know. I've sent e mails to Chief's, they usually are on track. Its the grunts with out leadership who make the law fit their opinion.

I think after researching whether the Chief had a e mail address, I'd go straight to the Mayor and ask HER why the PD's dragging their feet on opening a dialog.

Last edited:

marine grunt

marine grunt

New on here just wondering if anyone know how the police here in galion and surrounding areas react to open carry? Thanks for any help.

redlinestg2

Update

I called the Shelby Police Department yesterday and finally got ahold of a CAPT. I asked him if he knew anything about open carry and he told me that they were well aware of it being legal. He said "You could either conceal it or wear it on your hip in plain sight". He said his officers hasnt had any "formal" training on the matter but once the supreme court preempted the laws they passed out flyers letting his officers know the legalites of it. He said "Just dont go walking in anywhere with no gun signs and stay away from restricted areas. I also open carried in Mansfield Yesterday. Had my first run in with a nervous waitress at the Mansfield Resturant. She walked up to me and wisperd in my ear "Do you have a concealed carry license?" I said " No, thats why I'm openly carrying it". I told her it was perfectly legal and if she had any questions I would explain the best I could to her about it. Not very eventful. Just kind of funny.

bmorg47

mansfield open carry

Hi I live in mansfield and I carry concealed so far only because I am not sure of support for me here as I am a black women. I talked to the law directors office and asked about open carry. They said it is a right and have at it. Have not talked to the chief of Mansfield PD yet to get their views on this. Its a lot more dangerous for blacks to do something like open carry here. If there is others in the area please lets have a meeting.

Colton David Meng

Hi I live in mansfield and I carry concealed so far only because I am not sure of support for me here as I am a black women. I talked to the law directors office and asked about open carry. They said it is a right and have at it. Have not talked to the chief of Mansfield PD yet to get their views on this. Its a lot more dangerous for blacks to do something like open carry here. If there is others in the area please lets have a meeting.

Hey, I'm up in university heights and am planning on starting to OC as well. I'd love to meet up for a lunch or coffee sometime if you'd like- weekends are better for me.

I also am concealed carry, although I am only 21 : ]

Colton