• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I hope i have come to the right place.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I was looking for a place i could read specifically about if i at age 18 could OC.

You won't find it. The law doesn't work that way. The law prohibits actions, penalizing them. If something is not prohibited, then it is legal.

You have to draw conclusions based on what is illegal. For example, if it is illegal for a minor to possess, purchase, or carry,but in your state 18 is no longer a "minor." Then it would not be illegal for you to carry. Meaning it would be legal for you to carry. This is just an example, and a narrow one at that. So, wait until you see the statutes and are satisfied you are doing nothing illegal by OCing.

HolyOrangeJuice

From everything i read i would not feel that OCing at my age would be illegal. The only thing that would be illegal regarding the firearm is purchasing the firearm itself and/or ammunition. Which is not an issue.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Wisconsin State Statues
And
Should assuage your uncertainty a bit. Maybe it's not "18 year olds can open carry" but as Citizen says, there isn't anything in there that says "Brass Magnet can wear blue jeans on Sunday while watching Sunday night football" either, yet, here I am. ;)

It's worth noting that there is no law in Wisconsin that says anyone can open carry either, yet we can, and we do.

johnny amish

It would be a very goog idea to carry a voice recorder with you at all times. For most of us it is with us and on at all times. The recent event in Madison is a good reminder as to why we carry them.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
It would be a very goog idea to carry a voice recorder with you at all times. For most of us it is with us and on at all times. The recent event in Madison is a good reminder as to why we carry them.

Are you able to provide the state wiretapping statute exception for him. So, he can see for himself it is legal.

HolyOrangeJuice

Are you able to provide the state wiretapping statute exception for him. So, he can see for himself it is legal.

I hope this isn't meant as sarcasm. Hard to tell over the internet. I've never broken any laws and i don't intend to however there is so many that i had no idea about. I only started looking into the OC because i would feel much safer when im out alone or with my bros and if it is my right to OC i will be more than happy to support it once i feel that it is okay for my to OC. From what you guys have been helping me find and read along with your kind "hints" that it may not particularly state it, however it is still legal, i guess the only thing left to do is go out and actually do it.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I hope this isn't meant as sarcasm. Hard to tell over the internet. I've never broken any laws and i don't intend to however there is so many that i had no idea about. I only started looking into the OC because i would feel much safer when im out alone or with my bros and if it is my right to OC i will be more than happy to support it once i feel that it is okay for my to OC. From what you guys have been helping me find and read along with your kind "hints" that it may not particularly state it, however it is still legal, i guess the only thing left to do is go out and actually do it.

No, it's not sarcasm but it doesn't have to do with you. It's the same reason Citizen gave me a hard time over one of my earlier "phone posts". One of the rules of this forum is that if we state a rule of law we must cite that rule so that a person can read it for his/herself. It keeps bad information off of the forums.

(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Last edited:

HolyOrangeJuice

No, it's not sarcasm but it doesn't have to do with you. It's the same reason Citizen gave me a hard time over one of my earlier "phone posts". One of the rules of this forum is that if we state a rule of law we must cite that rule so that a person can read it for his/herself. It keeps bad information off of the forums.

Alright, i thought it was since i was looking for the information about the age earlier.

B

bhancock

My son does OC however not as often as I do. His employer prohibits carry while he on the job no matter where that happens to be. He does case carry in his vehicle all the time and OC's at places like Walmart, Gander when he gets the chance. Otherwise he is mostly at work or at home. He has not had any issues whatsoever in about 6 months of occasional carrying.

I remember looking into the age issue at length when I purchased his handgun for him and if I remember correctly all you will find is the prohibition against possession of firearms for those under 18 and the purchase restriction of a handgun at 21. There is no statute I know of that clearly articulates the answer you are looking for.

The 2010 DNR Deer hunting regulations state • It is illegal to hunt with a handgun if under age 18. There are no other provisions to that particular regulation.

The regulations and statutes regarding firearms in Wisconsin is a hodgepodge of bits and pieces spread out all over various sections.

HolyOrangeJuice

My son does OC however not as often as I do. His employer prohibits carry while he on the job no matter where that happens to be. He does case carry in his vehicle all the time and OC's at places like Walmart, Gander when he gets the chance. Otherwise he is mostly at work or at home. He has not had any issues whatsoever in about 6 months of occasional carrying.

I remember looking into the age issue at length when I purchased his handgun for him and if I remember correctly all you will find is the prohibition against possession of firearms for those under 18 and the purchase restriction of a handgun at 21. There is no statute I know of that clearly articulates the answer you are looking for.

The 2010 DNR Deer hunting regulations state • It is illegal to hunt with a handgun if under age 18. There are no other provisions to that particular regulation.

The regulations and statutes regarding firearms in Wisconsin is a hodgepodge of bits and pieces spread out all over various sections.

I have spent many hours searching the web and reading statutes and that is all the same stuff i have read myself. No where it says 18 year olds cannot OC. So it is my understanding i can OC if i choose and so could your son which you say he has been.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I have to call it a night.

Can you all get him links to the FlexYourRights videos about dealing with police? Busted and Ten Rules.

And, give him some cites or information about dealing with a request to leave private property by an owner or agent (manager employee, etc.)

HolyOrangeJuice

I've been through so many links i can't find it but another website had the same error that you could purchase pistols at age 18.

I am a wwii re-enactor and always have a pistol on me. However the re-enactments are at schedule events and the guns all have blanks. I know its legal for me to possess one just didn't know if it was okay to OC it. Im feeling pretty good that i will be fine when i OC.

I thank you guys for all your help and i defiantly would want to get a recorder when i do open carry i will make sure to post about it. If you have anything more to add please do, i will keep checking this and getting even more familiar with the statutes.

B

bhancock

I have to call it a night.

Can you all get him links to the FlexYourRights videos about dealing with police? Busted and Ten Rules.

And, give him some cites or information about dealing with a request to leave private property by an owner or agent (manager employee, etc.)

Here is the link to a thread with links to all the videos.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?61990-Videos

Someone else jump in on the second part please, or if I get time tomorrow I'll post it.

HolyOrangeJuice

HolyOrangeJuice

I guess there is really no point in starting a new topic about this unless no one looks here but what if while your OCing you are approached by the police and arrested for DC and can't control it. A Milwaukee cop told me that if they see someone OC they are suppose to arrest them and charge them with DC.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
A Milwaukee cop told me that if they see someone OC they are suppose to arrest them and charge them with DC.

He's a liar. Police have no obligation to tell you the truth.

We OC all over Milwaukee.

We've done open-records requests of MPD to seek out every training bulletin, every email, every open-carry related memo. No indication that is true.

Open-records requests of emails from the MPD DO indicate a concerted effort to try to find a legal way to discourage the practice of OC, but they keep running up against "constitutional issues"

That cop is just trying to scare you. He figures he'll tell you they can arrest for DC and you'll believe it because he has a badge on. Through fear the police can accomplish plenty of things beyond what the law allows.

M

McX

Through fear the police can accomplish plenty of things beyond what the law allows.

been there, had that done to me, hated it.