• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Toronto gun seizures - a good reason not to register / license!

MKEgal

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/09/18/to-guns-seized.html
Toronto police have seized more than 2,000 guns since they launched their Safe City Project in March 2009.
The program targets gun owners who have let their licences expire, or who are not storing their guns safely.

Police said Friday that what was once a temporary program is now a permanent approach to firearms safety. Detective Constable Teeft of the Toronto Gun and Gang Task Force said most of the guns seized are from owners who have let their licences lapse.

"The whole point of the program is not to make criminals out of law-abiding citizens. It's to make people more compliant or compliant with the laws as they are now. We are not charging anybody. We seize the firearms for safekeeping"

[A gun owner said] Toronto police recently phoned him to remind him his gun licence had expired. Fifteen minutes later, he said, they were at the door demanding that he hand over the guns.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2009/09/22/guns-toronto-seized-police523.html
Toronto police have seized almost 400 firearms with lapsed registrations in a six-month push aimed at reducing the number of guns on the city's streets.
In March, officers began soliciting people who owned firearms once registered across the city as part of what they call the Safe City Project. Many of those who had to surrender their firearms had either let their registrations lapse, or had stashed their guns improperly under beds or in closets.

Good thing we in the States have little things like the Constitution to protect us from illegal searches & seizures, so the government has to prove reasonable suspicion of a crime before they can act against us. It's also our non-expiring license to keep & bear arms.

As for people in Toronto, I'd say "oh, I don't need a license, I don't have the guns any more." Whether you do or not.

-

Last edited:

Dreamer

The fine people of Toronto who own guns need to invest in boats, like some folks do here in the USA.

If they lose their guns in a "tragic boating accident", the Toronto police would need Scuba gear to do their illegal searches and seizures... :p

GabrielSchultz

The fine people of Toronto who own guns need to invest in boats, like some folks do here in the USA.

If they lose their guns in a "tragic boating accident", the Toronto police would need Scuba gear to do their illegal searches and seizures... :p

I love the smart thinker's on here.

Boat accident. Brilliant :idea:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Lol, gotta love it.

If it comes to that, my "boating accident" will have occurred in the cistern of my toilet. I guess I'll never be a naval architect, at least not until after I graduate from popsicle sticks.