• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC gun

sultan62

I'm not going to be able to do this too soon, but I'd like to go ahead and figure out a couple of good options, so I can keep my eyes open, find a range to rent them, etc.

I would like to get a CC weapon so that I can conceal with ease when I want/need to. I'd rather not get a .380, so I'm thinking a 9mm or a .40. I can conceal my XD, but I want something easy to conceal. I'm also thinking a full metal frame. However, I'm not decided on ANY of the above. What do you have/like/recommend?

Snakemathis

My Kel Tec P11!

The Kel Tec P11 is my favorite handgun for concealment. Its a 9mm which is nice due to the abundance of ammo. Its a pretty small frame, polymer, but still holds 10 + 1. There is no safety on the firearms what-so-ever. Due to this, its DAO, and the trigger pull is very heavy and very long. Recoil is comparable to a .38 snub nose, so its not too bad at all. My favorite thing about this firearm is the fact that it is 1/2 the size of my sig, but holds 4 more rounds. If you get a chance, definantly try it before you purchase it, cuz it certainly isn't for everyone, especially if you have big man hands. :)

sultan62

I'm also looking for it to be used as a BUG, so while I am looking into good ways to conceal the XD, I'm also looking for a smaller gun.

Tomas

Another to look at for thin, compact and concealable is the Taurus PT709 Slim (9mm striker fired, thumb safety). I like mine.

PT709.jpg

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
If you were not of a mind to use it as a BUG, I would have suggested something like the Kahr K9 or K40 Elite series. If you want it also to serve as a BUG, the Kahr MK9 would be a good choice. These are not inexpensive guns but can be had for decent prices at gun shows. They are all steel to boot.

There is also the "Baby" Glock series (G26 and G27) to think about. Lots of good choices to consider.

Last edited:

sultan62

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm really not a fan of the Glock. There's no doubt they're good weapons, I just don't like the feel.

The Kahr is something to keep in mind. I'll probably take a look at the Taurus and Kel Tec if I get a chance too, but I think I want a metal frame.

I was looking earlier, and the CZ caught my eye. Anyone have any experience with CZs? Specifically the CZ 2075 RAMI.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

... but I think I want a metal frame.

I would recommend against an all metal frame. I have a Kahr mk40 and while it is a nice gun and not to bad to shoot, it weighs so much I don't carry it often.

If you want a range gun that is fun to shoot I think all metal is fine. For a CC/BUG that is going to be concealed a polymer light-weight gun will make you want to take it with you more often. The lightweight guns are less-fun to shoot since felt-recoil is more.

It also depends on how you are going to carry it. If you are going with IWB holster then the weight isn't as big a deal as if you were carrying in a pocket holster like I do.

I have a couple different guns I use for CC and each has their purpose. If I had to do it over again I would probably go with a PM9 or PM40 rather than the MK40. The main gun I carry as my CC/BUG is a Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro which is 10+1 in 45acp and it fits in my front pocket with a pocket holster. Some don't like Taurus but mine has been reliable and non-problematic. If I could have fit my Sig P220 in my pocket I would do it but even the carry model is 8+1 and too large. The compact version is 6+1 so you start to significantly reduce your round count. I am not sure if it would even fit too.

All in all my lesson is you don't have to buy one gun that does everything. Best case you buy a larger gun with higher round count to OC and a smaller BUG/CC gun that is comfortable to CC. Also some guns are not fun to shoot. They are intended as a self defense gun that will save your life but has tradeoffs for weight, round count etc.

Last edited:

sultan62

I would recommend against an all metal frame. I have a Kahr mk40 and while it is a nice gun and not to bad to shoot, it weighs so much I don't carry it often.

If you want a range gun that is fun to shoot I think all metal is fine. For a CC/BUG that is going to be concealed a polymer light-weight gun will make you want to take it with you more often. The lightweight guns are less-fun to shoot since felt-recoil is more.

It also depends on how you are going to carry it. If you are going with IWB holster then the weight isn't as big a deal as if you were carrying in a pocket holster like I do.

I have a couple different guns I use for CC and each has their purpose. If I had to do it over again I would probably go with a PM9 or PM40 rather than the MK40. The main gun I carry as my CC/BUG is a Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro which is 10+1 in 45acp and it fits in my front pocket with a pocket holster. Some don't like Taurus but mine has been reliable and non-problematic. If I could have fit my Sig P220 in my pocket I would do it but even the carry model is 8+1 and too large. The compact version is 6+1 so you start to significantly reduce your round count. I am not sure if it would even fit too.

All in all my lesson is you don't have to buy one gun that does everything. Best case you buy a larger gun with higher round count to OC and a smaller BUG/CC gun that is comfortable to CC. Also some guns are not fun to shoot. They are intended as a self defense gun that will save your life but has tradeoffs for weight, round count etc.

Thanks for the input. I'm planning to have this is as a primary CC piece, and will wear it on an IWB holster. I like being able to carry it in a pocket, but the truth is I use my pockets for too much as it is.

Of course, I also just really like the CZ Rami. Especially with the Haken Pek grips. I find myself wishing I were willing to part with any of the guns I have, so I could get it now instead of later. :D

ETA: Part of the reason I want an all metal frame is that, especially in a smaller gun, I like the feel of a metal frame. It just feels more substantial to me. Also, I'm currently building my gun collection, and I don't yet have a metal frame autoloader.

Last edited:

irish52084

The czforum has some good info on the rami. I have a couple cz's, not a rami, and their quality is excellent.
As for a metal frame, I've had pistols in, steel, polymer, aluminum and alloy, and polymer is where it's at for comfort and cleaning. I learned years ago with my hunting rifles that polymer stocks and stainless or coated finishes hold up to abuse and weather much better than bluing and wood. Stainless steel will rust if given the chance, but polymers are very tolerant of moisture and sweat if carried IWB.
I use my rifles as tools and they have seen some very wet and nasty weather and one of them, a stainless synthetic browning, has failed due to conditions, bolt rifles are very, very reliable and even stainless synthetic ones can fail, and I took excellent care of that rifle. I'm just saying that polymers are very tolerant of moisture and abuse when carried IWB and they lighten a CC gun which is always a plus. After all, if it's easier to carry, you're more likely to carry it everywhere.

jayspapa

I own a Kel-tec PF9 also. I love it . I love it because it doesn't weigh anything and completely disappears with an IWB holster which makes for a great BUG.

I understand your reasoning behind a steel frame but I believe a light weight BUG is more likely to be worn with a fairly heavy primary gun. The PF-9 is only 7/8 of an inch wide.

Ultimately , it doesn't matter what I or anyone else love. You are the one that has to be satisfied. Good luck.

sultan62

Well I've certainly learned one thing-CC/BUG is certainly not my only reason for liking this gun. Otherwise I'd have already given up the ghost for the Kel-Tec or perhaps the Kahr. It's pretty.

I'll be able to lay hands on it next time I travel through Greensboro, Gander Mtn says they're in stock.