• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trouble at the Rock Financial Gunshow

DetroitBiker

It looks like the show is promoted by Sport Show Promotions Inc. Phone (517)676-4160 PO Box404 Mason Mi.48854 . Website WWW.migunshows.com
I noticed on Sport Show Promotions Inc.`s web page,down near the bottom,MGO has a link to their website.
So I assume MGO pays for advertising on that site.
Maybe we can have officials from MGO get to the bottom of this issue. The promoters
might be inclined to listen to their sponsers.

lotus1

"Pretty sure I saw you leaving at the same time I was. You had one magazine in your hand and another in a leather holster as you were leaving?"

lol, yup, that was me. Once I got outside I put the magazine in, chambered a round then holstered my weapon.

Last edited:

maustin195

I see that the gun-show insurance promoted by the NRA DOES ask: Are loaded firearms, magazines or clips prohibited on the premises for anyone other than police, law
enforcement or hired security? My guess is that they will charge more or choose not to insure a show that allows loaded pistols on the premises.

http://www.locktonaffinity.com/nrains/forms/gunshowapp.pdf

I am not sure 1 more no would make any difference. At least D,E,H,I all are no answers probably more.

Michigander

I went to that show with a friend, and encountered that same woman. She definitely seemed like a push over, but I didn't have the same experience, because we simply informed her that we were unarmed. She asked me something like "seriously, no guns?" as we were walking by her, and I snapped at her "No, no guns, but we're looking to buy some". She seemed in my opinion judging by the tone of her voice at that point to think that we were probably armed, but that we knew the way things worked, so she'd satisfied her job, and needed to move on to the next people coming through the door.

My guess is that at least one in 3 people there carried concealed to the show, and quite a few, including us left concealing a new gun or 5.

It amazes me that these shows always have people running them who are uneducated people with little or no business being there, and they get backed with absurd rules. The sad thing is it's still a better environment than the majority of Michigan gun shops.

Bailenforcer

I know I would carry there CC. It's none of her damn business what I do and frankly it is my second amendment right to bear arms, and no where did the second amendment say I needed permission nor does it make any limits on my rights. I do agree and the 1 in 3 might be low.. I know many who carry at gun shows for the most obvious reason, there are thousands of guns there and I don't trust people to act lawful.

I went to that show with a friend, and encountered that same woman. She definitely seemed like a push over, but I didn't have the same experience, because we simply informed her that we were unarmed. She asked me something like "seriously, no guns?" as we were walking by her, and I snapped at her "No, no guns, but we're looking to buy some". She seemed in my opinion judging by the tone of her voice at that point to think that we were probably armed, but that we knew the way things worked, so she'd satisfied her job, and needed to move on to the next people coming through the door.

My guess is that at least one in 3 people there carried concealed to the show, and quite a few, including us left concealing a new gun or 5.

It amazes me that these shows always have people running them who are uneducated people with little or no business being there, and they get backed with absurd rules. The sad thing is it's still a better environment than the majority of Michigan gun shops.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Better not, that's assult.

I know I would carry there CC. It's none of her damn business what I do and frankly it is my second amendment right to bear arms, and no where did the second amendment say I needed permission nor does it make any limits on my rights. I do agree and the 1 in 3 might be low.. I know many who carry at gun shows for the most obvious reason, there are thousands of guns there and I don't trust people to act lawful.

Yep, a pat down would be a battery so they better not go there. I agree w/ Bailenforcer 100%... although I am not advocating violating the "rules" :D

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Yep, a pat down would be an assault so they better not go there. I agree w/ Bailenforcer 100%... although I am not advocating violating the "rules" :D

They could do it if they post a sign that states that entry into the show is your consent to a search or pat down, like may Sports Arenas. I think Spartan Stadium has a sign like this, or maybe it's just that it's consent to search your bags. So I'm not sure if they have a pat down clause.

Regardless I believe it would be lawful if they did, as you agree to it as part of admission to the area.

Michigander

They could do it if they post a sign that states that entry into the show is your consent to a search or pat down, like may Sports Arenas. I think Spartan Stadium has a sign like this, or maybe it's just that it's consent to search your bags. So I'm not sure if they have a pat down clause.

Regardless I believe it would be lawful if they did, as you agree to it as part of admission to the area.

Easy fix for that is crotch carry. I've found that as a rule, cops are the only people who will ever go for a genital grab in the course of a pat down.

I suppose guards fear a law suit for sexual assault or something, whereas the police who have felony stopped me without cause have found they are never under any circumstance held accountable for violating any law...

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Easy fix for that is crotch carry. I've found that as a rule, cops are the only people who will ever go for a genital grab in the course of a pat down.

I suppose guards fear a law suit for sexual assault or something, whereas the police who have felony stopped me without cause have found they are never under any circumstance held accountable for violating any law...

Sad how that works isn't it? Those who swear to uphold laws are not held accountable to them which leads to the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH9k8L3oDa4

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Pretty sure I saw you leaving at the same time I was. You had one magazine in your hand and another in a leather holster as you were leaving?

Back on topic, I don't really mind the no-carry rule at gun shows. Because alls it would take it one idiot who sees his Glock in a case and says "THATS THE SAME ONE I HAVE" and pulls it out and blasts a hole in the floor (or shoots someone) and then it become more media fodder to ban gun shows. Although I don't buy the "insurance" reason that was given. "Insurance" lets high explosives sit around for the public to handle, open knives, thousands of guns without open chamber indicators on them etc etc but not for you to conceal a firearm? I think a better reason would just be that it's private property and the owner does not allow non-vendors to carry into the show for fear of an incident that would cause the show to get moved or banned altogether. For those that would say that "Well criminals could still shoot up the place and no one would be armed!", all of the vendors are allowed to carry.

I worked for a gun dealer a few years back, who puts on several gun shows all around the state, and the Insurance is the very reason for no loaded firearms allowed at those shows. If they were allowed, they'd have to charge even more for entrance and vendor's fees.

Bailenforcer

If they get that damn dumb to start patting people down they go out of business. I don't know of many gun owners who would tolerate being felt up to make a purchase. Yes the other lemmings in society might tolerate it, but even those gun owners who choose to not carry that I have known over the decades would blacken someones eyes if they tried to feel them up to get in a show. I think if we the people start acting like men instead of scared little boys and dig in our heels this bullsh*t would stop. I find it instructive that in the 1950's and before then, men wouldn't allow some security person to touch their wives, children our themselves, and now we as a society just bend over when asked.

The airline industry is in failure as a direct result of people refusing to be felt up and examined. Please do show me some biased study that may indicate otherwise. Literally everyone I know says they will not fly anymore due to the intrusions and violations of rights and privacy. So unless I travel with some hard core group I think this is a common feeling today and we see the entire airline industry in failure as a result.

Like I said many times my money has my rights attached, and too many gun dealers out there like MC sports welcome my money and my carry rights without questions, so they get both.

DanM

I don't really mind the no-carry rule at gun shows. Because alls it would take it one idiot

Oh, boy, here comes a silly and unlikely "what-if" scenario. Why do gun-control nuts and Fudds just seem to LOVE coming up with these? . . .

who sees his Glock in a case and says "THATS THE SAME ONE I HAVE" and pulls it out

There has never been a documented problem with OC'ers or CC'ers unholstering for no good reason.

I think a better reason would just be that it's private property and the owner does not allow non-vendors to carry into the show for fear of an incident

There is absolutely no evidence that gun show vendors are better than anyone else lawfully and responsibly carrying.

For those that would say that "Well criminals could still shoot up the place and no one would be armed!", all of the vendors are allowed to carry.

But vendors may not be with me on the walk through the parking lot. They may not be with me in the bathrooms. They may not be with me in other areas other than their tables. They may not be between me and the criminal, and I'm the first potential victim and could be the one to neutralize the threat most immediately. In all those cases, indeed the person needing to be armed is not armed due to a "no carry" rule. You do not seem to have thought this out very well. Sorry, Charlie, but "no thanks" to your willingness to disarm me and make me a defenseless sheep!

I hear the Brady Campaign is looking for more members . . . sounds like you're PERFECT for them. You've definitely got the "what-if" skills they're looking for, that's fer sure!

Last edited:

SlowDog

As I have walked through many gun shows I have one final thought. I always have 1-2 loaded mags in my back pocket. Does this wiring tying my weapon mean in worse case scenario were I to <lose it> that I wouldn't ask to see a 1911 like mine...slam in a loaded mag and go banging away like the TERRORIST in Ft. Hood did? Sometimes common sense should be used when in these situations. I tried to talk civilly to the woman and it was like talking to a cell phone customer service rep......wasted breath....just sayin