Thread: VCDL Sticker sighting

VCDL Sticker sighting

Driving up US 17 this afternoon, northbound, between the Remlik turn-off and Jamaica (I can't make this stuff up)...

Red Chevy pickup with aftermarket(?) foglamps.
    Last edited by Mr H; 09-27-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: geography ;-))

Yup saw one this morning too. Blue Ford Ranger on Oldbridge Road in Woodbridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr H View Post
    Driving up US 17 this afternoon, northbound, between Remlik and Jamaica (I can't make this stuff up)...

Red Chevy pickup with aftermarket(?) foglamps.
    Alright... this is way too close to my old stompin' grounds... of course you should know, Remlik is not on US 17, but rather on the road from US 17 down to Urbanna!

TFred

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Alright... this is way too close to my old stompin' grounds... of course you should know, Remlik is not on US 17, but rather on the road from US 17 down to Urbanna!

TFred
    Until you've been down to Guinea Neck. you ain't been anywhere.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Cool

I regularly see one northbound on Great Neck Road in Virginia Beach on a black Toyota pickup with a camper shell around 8 AM.

I haven't been able to figure out who it is yet, but I keep passing him and putting my tailgate (with GSL and VCDL magnets) right in his line-of-sight.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I regularly see a light colored Dodge pickup with a GSL sticker on the rear drivers side window on Bridge Road heading towards Smithfield, with Virginia licence starting with XP. Last time I saw it, he had what looked like wire traps in the rear and the passenger side of the cab.

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post

TFred
    I'm aware of that, but not of how FAR off 17...

Call it "by the speedway" I suppose....

;-))

Quote Originally Posted by Mr H View Post
    I'm aware of that, but not of how FAR off 17...
    I grew up making the trip to Remlik at least once a week... it's about 3 miles off 17.

TFred

No trip down Virginia Route 17 is complete without a "little" detour out past Mathews to the lovely little garden spots of Moon, Diggs, Beaverlett, Onemo, Shadow and Bavon! Check out Wolf Trap and New Point Comfort Lighthouses while you're in the area.

Trivia Question: Where is OLD Point Comfort Lighthouse and WHY can't you OC there?
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    No trip down Virginia Route 17 is complete without a "little" detour out past Mathews to the lovely little garden spots of Moon, Diggs, Beaverlett, Onemo, Shadow and Bavon! Check out Wolf Trap and New Point Comfort Lighthouses while you're in the area.

Trivia Question: Where is OLD Point Comfort Lighthouse and WHY can't you OC there?
    If memory serves me correctly the present location is within the confines of Ft. Monroe, a military installation.

I have heard rumors that Fortress Monroe was to be deactivated and given to the City of Hampton. If and when that happens, I will stand proudly on the ramparts while OCing.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Fortresses do not have ramparts, they have female parts (can we say breastworks on OCDO?).

In any case, I'll be joining you there.

stay safe.

Another OCDO member spotted:

On Saturday, my daughter and I went to Busch Gardens and on the way home about 8:30-9:00pm, the red lights came on a 1/4 mile from the HRBT and so we stopped. My daughter said to me that the driver in the red Jeep beside us just nodded to her, I looked over and the driver nodded to me and held up a GSL pin and I gave a thumbs up (I have ED's GSL and VCDL magnets on my tailgate on my red Tacoma). The traffic started up again and about halfway through the tunnel it came to me, I know who that was because the licsence plate matches his screen name on here... DJEEPER! Nice to run into you!

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    If memory serves me correctly the present location is within the confines of Ft. Monroe, a military installation.

I have heard rumors that Fortress Monroe was to be deactivated and given to the City of Hampton. If and when that happens, I will stand proudly on the ramparts while OCing.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Fortresses do not have ramparts, they have female parts (can we say breastworks on OCDO?).

In any case, I'll be joining you there.

stay safe.
    Poetic license.

"Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
    What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
    Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
    O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
    "

But that was Fort McHenry, which has ramparts!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    But that was Fort McHenry, which has ramparts!
    Ah soo, but the proper name for "Freedoms Fortress" is Fort Monroe and has been since at least 1861.
    http://www.chesapeakeboating.net/ME2...5E2EAE67A64CE4

Therefore to use the term thusly, one must subscribe to artistic/poetic license.

It would be nice if Hampton did take it over, but they can't afford the upkeep. I think the NPS will still need to be in charge of some of it. I really do enjoy going there, though. They have great concerts at next to the Chamberlain in the summer and the Casemate Museum is really a great place to visit! I love the giftshop/bookstore there.

Back ON Topic: I spotted a few VCDL stickers at Innsbruck a couple days ago... ;-)
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    It would be nice if Hampton did take it over, but they can't afford the upkeep. I think the NPS will still need to be in charge of some of it. I really do enjoy going there, though. They have great concerts at next to the Chamberlain in the summer and the Casemate Museum is really a great place to visit! I love the giftshop/bookstore there.

Back ON Topic: I spotted a few VCDL stickers at Innsbruck a couple days ago... ;-)
    NPS would likely put in a covered entrance way and then claim the entirety of Ft. Monroe was a "no guns allowed."