• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Goose shooting interrupts 'preach at beach' Mass

Rattrapper

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=5&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_WINWU00L5_UNEWS

This is just a complete disregard for gun safety in my opinion. I'm not sure of mass. laws but this clearly is not safe, i can see more then 1 boat in the water he is hunting next to, it's this type of action that does gun rights no favors.
1. You don't know WTF you are talking about.
2. In Massachusettts the tidal zone area is state property.
3. Town By laws and City Ordinances have no force over state property. (Mass. Case Law, Teasdale and 2 AG Opinions).
4. The Colonial Ordinances dealing fowling and fishing as well as certain water access is still in effect, In fact was Incorporrated into the Massachusetts Constitution.
5. When you run your mouth or fingers over the key board,making these kind of statements you are giving aid and comfort to the enemy.
6. I know of which I speak on this matter I am a retired Sergeant from The Massachusetts Environmental Police as well as one of thier training officers.

X

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

1. You don't know WTF you are talking about.
2. In Massachusettts the tidal zone area is state property.
3. Town By laws and City Ordinances have no force over state property. (Mass. Case Law, Teasdale and 2 AG Opinions).
4. The Colonial Ordinances dealing fowling and fishing as well as certain water access is still in effect, In fact was Incorporrated into the Massachusetts Constitution.
5. When you run your mouth or fingers over the key board,making these kind of statements you are giving aid and comfort to the enemy.
6. I know of which I speak on this matter I am a retired Sergeant from The Massachusetts Environmental Police as well as one of thier training officers.

lol, first off calm down sir. As I clearly stated I am not sure of Mass. laws, this "in my opinion" is a matter of safety, I would never shoot a weapon while hunting in the area of any sort of civilization, it just seems to me to be unsafe. There are plenty of places to hunt without being in close proximity of others. Perhaps what he is doing is legal I really wouldn't know as I clearly stated. With your attitude I am happy to hear you are retired.

SNIP
"A regulation prohibits discharging firearms on town property.

No charges have been filed."
Perhaps you should go off on the people who wrote this article aswell, I am willing to bet you did not even read, instead choose to attack my post.

Last edited:

Rattrapper

Folks, You can whine about my "tude" all you want. I would like you to be aware that for 30 years I had to listen everyones "opinion" of where people should hunt or trap or shoot, and yes even fish. All because it did not fit "THIER OPINION". Then I had to pussyfoot around to explain to them that those folks were within the law.

Waterfowl hunting here is a very sensitve issue with us water fowl hunters. So if I act like a "BEAR" It is because, I have gotten very tired of People making comments about what they think is the right place, right time for an activity that they do not want happen in the first place. Then when I see a Gun Person making that kind of comment, after seeing those kinds of comments used against us, Well, that kind of lights the fuse.

Rattrapper

Sitting here having my coffee, I was thinking about some comments made on other threads and other subsections of this site. Many people want us to "Give no Quarter" well everyone I have always believed that our rights deserve that stand. That includes, Hunting,Fishing, Trapping, and Farming. We can no longer have little "give ups " to make the complainers go away, they only become bolder, And we are the ones who empower them.

Hey, If I have a "tude" I kinda follow the preachings of the late Col. Jeff Cooper.

X

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

I don't give away little "give ups" however just because it is legal to hunt somewhere doesn't always mean it should be hunted at that paticular time. I am an avid hunter, it seems to me, regardless what the laws are, we as hunters have a duty to insure the safety of others around us during our hunt. I am simply saying that this, be it legal or not, seems unsafe. Take into consideration that even if this was legal, everyone at that mass now has a bad outlook on hunters. I agree with standing up for your rights, but we must do it in a way that puts a positive outlook on those who would otherwise be against it. A little common sence goes a long way.

Rattrapper

Something you need know, that almost all hunting in Massachusetts is on postage stamp sized areas. That picture that you made a judgement on, is typical of what photoghaphers to incite the masses and you unfortuntly fell for it. (forgive my spelling) We must stick together and continue to say if no law is broken then "Bugger Off".

You will never please these people, So no sense in even trying.

Rattrapper

I don't give away little "give ups" however just because it is legal to hunt somewhere doesn't always mean it should be hunted at that paticular time. I am an avid hunter, it seems to me, regardless what the laws are, we as hunters have a duty to insure the safety of others around us during our hunt. I am simply saying that this, be it legal or not, seems unsafe. Take into consideration that even if this was legal, everyone at that mass now has a bad outlook on hunters. I agree with standing up for your rights, but we must do it in a way that puts a positive outlook on those who would otherwise be against it. A little common sence goes a long way.

Oh! But you are willing for someone else to do a "little give up " Your last sentence is a "give up" In these peoples eye all hunting is evil. Now those people, if they follow thier religous beliefs, would understand. "The time for harvest".
There was nothing unsafe about what they were doing. See you are repeating thier BS.

I give no quarter,

"We can all hang together, or Surely we will all Hang seperately" Ben Franklin

X

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

" Your last sentence is a "give up"

my last sentence ?
"A little common sence goes a long way."

I will agree we should not give up or in to a lawful situation. If you read the article which as i stated above you likely have not....it says
"A regulation prohibits discharging firearms on town property."
I was, and am, merely going on what this article is providing me with, regardless of what you may say the laws are, I do not know you from a hole in the ground, you could just be saying whatev you like the law to be (as could be the writer of the article). Again I am not from mass. I do not know the laws, I do not know your hunting area size. I do not disagree with the "lawful" hunting of an individual in any situation. If this gentlemen was abiding by mass. laws AND praticing safe use of discharging of his firearm, then I have no complaint as to what he is doing. Having said that, I do believe that we are under attack by those who wish guns to be outlawed and as such we should be sure to give an image that doesn't feed into this. I have nothing further to add to this post. Thank You for the conversation. Carry proud and carry on sir.

Rattrapper

I have never twisted or made the interpetation of any law to fit my needs or wants. I cite that there is case law (Teasdale) which defines the states authority on state property. Which is that no City or Town can make laws that govern that property. That is backed up by 2 AG opinions. I did read the article, and Mr Keough is a public relations person, his job is to spout what he is told. Thank You for starting to understand my very strong and opinionated position on these matters.

"To ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth" Col. Jeff Cooper

XD40coyote

MA is full of anti hunter/anti trapper types, so rattrapper is probably right in that finding places to hunt geese is not easy. I guess the complainers would rather have flocks of geese wandering on their lawns and pooping everywhere. The church should have chosen to do their special mass when there isn't an open waterfowl hunting season. At least they were not near as stupid as the boy scouts walking around in their brown outfits on opening day of deer shotgun (slug) season in MD, on property owned by a teachers association, but surrounded by private lands that allow hunters. There is also a huge problem with poachers, as there are alot of nicely antlered bucks here. It is akin to Darwin awards to walk around the woods that time of year without wearing some blaze orange. I guess nobody told the scoutmasters what day it was, and the scoutmasters didn't even think to check it themselves.