• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police charge five "legal" open carry citizens in Wisconsin

zack991

Submitted by drieck on Fri, 09/24/2010 - 15:26.
By Ken Hanson

We received word of a truly horrifying abuse of police power that occurred in Wisconsin over the weekend.

Five members of Wisconsin Carry Inc., a state firearms rights group in Wisconsin, were legally open carrying in their local Culvers restaurant when a dreaded "man with a gun" call was made to the local police.

Listening to the 911 call, it is 100% clear that the police knew these five citizens were not violating any laws. No threat. No panic. 911 dispatcher says "it is legal." No one threatened or worried.
http://www.wisconsincarry.org/video/Madison5-911.wav

This, unfortunately, did not prevent the Madison police department from overreacting by sending eight officers to Culvers to harass the law abiding citizens. Realizing their mistake, Madison dismissed the two original charges filed, and instead charged all five citizens with bogus charges of disorderly conduct designed to intimidate the citizens.

Listening to the 911 call and the audio tapes of the encounter, it is evident that the police engaged in a gross abuse of power. Compounding this abuse of power, the Madison police department has announced that anyone openly carrying a firearm in Madison can expect the same treatment.

From the police chief, "Chief Wray wants to make clear: It is the department's wish that concerned citizens call 911 when they see armed subjects."

So why should Buckeyes care about civil rights abuses in Wisconsin?

First, this case has clear federal lawsuit implications, meaning the precedent from Wisconsin can directly affect Buckeyes who choose to open carry. While Ohio has not experienced this degree of police-state abuse, we all know that open carry in Ohio is still not fully accepted by police even though it is legal.

Second, Wisconsin is one of two states without a concealed carry license. The only way to exercise Second Amendment rights in Wisconsin is open carry. If you have been following concealed carry news over the past few years, you know the value of vibrant open carry in pressuring a state to adopt a "shall issue" concealed carry license.

I was fortunate enough to have visited with "Buster" Bachhuber, a NRA Board Of Directors member from Wisconsin, several weekends ago. He fully believes that Wisconsin will become the 49th state with CCW in the next year. This also means that Buckeyes may soon gain a new state where they may carry as they travel throughout this great land.

Third, what better legacy for Ft. St. Clair to leave? Their generous donation can impact the rights of gun owners "behind the iron curtain" in Wisconsin and help thousands of gun owners nationwide.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7450

Last edited:

rmansu2

If the dispatcher told the caller it's legal as she did, and the woman didn't feel threatened. Why dispatch officers? Sounded like the woman just needed to be educated.

She actually felt bad that police were dispatched because these guys weren't doing anything wrong.

I think it was total BS to have these guys arrested especially after the caller reinforced the fact that these guys did nothing wrong.

zack991

If the dispatcher told the caller it's legal as she did, and the woman didn't feel threatened. Why dispatch officers? Sounded like the woman just needed to be educated.

She actually felt bad that police were dispatched because these guys weren't doing anything wrong.

I think it was total BS to have these guys arrested especially after the caller reinforced the fact that these guys did nothing wrong.

Shows we have a lot of educating to to do.

eye95

An officer should have been dispatched. He should observe the scene, note that no laws are being broken, not even contact the OCers, and report back that all is well.

Last edited:

SaintJacque

An officer should have been dispatched. He should observe the scene, note that no laws are being broken, not even contact the OCers, and report back that all is well.

This. I have no problem with having an officer get eyes on the scene, proactive law enforcement is great. But that's where the interference should have ended.

Sonora Rebel

If NO LAWS ARE BEING BROKEN... why send anybody? Not one... but eight! ThAt's gotta be the entire Sector... maybe even the entire District (depending upon the size of that burg.)

COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack

eye95

They cannot be sure that no laws are being broken. Dispatching a single officer for a look-see, while not bothering the carriers at all is a prudent and minimalistic action.

Please watch the personal comments. I won't get into a junior-high flaming contest.

Daylen

They cannot be sure that no laws are being broken. Dispatching a single officer for a look-see, while not bothering the carriers at all is a prudent and minimalistic action.

Please watch the personal comments. I won't get into a junior-high flaming contest.

and I think usually required for 911 calls.

D_Weezy

I think it was wrong for the dispatcher to tell the caller, "that if she felt disturbed or concerned about them open carrying a gun, then there was a problem". The callers personal opinion on gun carry should not be the deciding factor, on whether your are charged with anything. It should be strictly done by the law, and whether you are breaking a law or not. Someone being disturbed or concerned about seeing my weapon, is THEIR own problem. The dispatcher shouldn't be sending a batch of Officers to harass someone, when they were clearly not breaking the law. If I am not breaking the law, I should be left alone.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Could well be. I don't know the 911 policies here in Alabama, let alone Wisconsin.

*whispers*

Those people are kinda freaky up there. They don't even allow CC.

*whispers*

Plus they wear cheese hats...

I've been told that police are always sent to 911 calls, it's a liability issue. Had they not sent someone and something happened, even unrelated, they could face litigation. They certainly did act with absolute disdain for the rights of the 5 men, and the Dept should be sued.

eye95

*whispers*

I've been told that police are always sent to 911 calls, it's a liability issue. Had they not sent someone and something happened, even unrelated, they could face litigation. They certainly did act with absolute disdain for the rights of the 5 men, and the Dept should be sued.

I agree on all counts.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I smell civil litigation suits, as well there should be. I am not a sue-happy person by any stretch, but when someone's civil rights are violated under the color of law, a suit against not only the city, but the police chief and others is in order.

"Oh... yes it's your right to go armed in public but don't let us catch you exercising that right."

Sounds a little egregious to my ears.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Here we go again...the "disorderly conduct" catch all.

For those of you who have been thinking this doesn't happen or couldn't happen, I hope this story helps pull your head out of the sand a bit. Everyone should have had this reaction: :shocker:

It's a reality along with some municipalities that try to use the "prove you own it" game as an attempt to further harass lawful carry. We've seen this game played first hand in Missouri and I've heard from other locales outside Missouri that this has happened elsewhere.

Deanimator

*whispers*

Memorize:

Police have no legal duty to protect individuals.
Police have no legal liability when they fail to protect individuals.
Police have virtually no physical ability to protect individuals.

They don't have to protect you, you can't sue them if they don't protect you, and it doesn't matter anyway, since they CAN'T protect you.

It's NOT a "liability issue". It's a forcibly suppress legal activity which they don't like issue.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Memorize:

Police have no legal duty to protect individuals.
Police have no legal liability when they fail to protect individuals.
Police have virtually no physical ability to protect individuals.

They don't have to protect you, you can't sue them if they don't protect you, and it doesn't matter anyway, since they CAN'T protect you.

It's NOT a "liability issue". It's a forcibly suppress legal activity which they don't like issue.

There is a liability issue if they fail to stop a mass shooting. There would certainly be a lawsuit, regardless if it was thrown out. There certainly would be a HUGE public outcry, and people could potentially lose their jobs and be sued in civil court.

You're %100 right on all counts, but there would repercussions if the police failed to answer a MWAG call, and a heinous crime took place. Hence a "liability issue".

Deanimator

There is a liability issue if they fail to stop a mass shooting. There would certainly be a lawsuit, regardless if it was thrown out. There certainly would be a HUGE public outcry, and people could potentially lose their jobs and be sued in civil court.
NO, there ISN'T.
No duty.
No liability.
No cause of action.

Not "thrown out", never allowed to be brought. Dismissed on the pleadings for want of a cause of action for which relief can be sought, based on a mountain of caselaw.

NOBODY could be "sued in civil court". If there's no duty, and there isn't, you can't be sued for failing to exercise that nonexistent duty. If you can't show that the police either colluded with the shooters or were THEMSELVES participants, there's no cause of action.

Anybody fired would have FOP go to the mat for them, and probably win.

You're %100 right on all counts, but there would repercussions if the police failed to answer a MWAG call, and a heinous crime took place. Hence a "liability issue".
The ONLY "repercussion" is public opinion, and they've already proved that means nothing to them.

Last edited:

eye95

I am absolutely sure that if a 911 MWAG call was ignored, and a mass shooting resulted, there would be multiple court cases and all precedents would be examined closely to find ways to allow the cases to proceed.

A mass shooting following an ignored 911 MWAG call would be a game-changer.

No LEA would risk ignoring one. I was told by the deputy chief of the MPD that that is their exact reasoning: They would not want to deal with the legal AND public opinion ramifications of a shooting following an ignored 911 MWAG call.

Deanimator

I am absolutely sure that if a 911 MWAG call was ignored, and a mass shooting resulted, there would be multiple court cases and all precedents would be examined closely to find ways to allow the cases to proceed.

A mass shooting following an ignored 911 MWAG call would be a game-changer.

No LEA would risk ignoring one. I was told by the deputy chief of the MPD that that is their exact reasoning: They would not want to deal with the legal AND public opinion ramifications of a shooting following an ignored 911 MWAG call.
The law as it is, and the law as you'd like it are two entirely different things.

These decisions absolving the police of almost all duty to protect individuals all arose out of horrific crimes, including multiple rapes and murders. Don't expect a "mass shooting" to make one iota of difference. How much money did the families of the Columbine victims get from the city and the individual officers? Remember, the Columbine cops sat on their behinds KNOWING there were two active shooters in play. You expect sanctions against these cops when there's not even a CRIME reported? Not going to happen.