Thread: Fairfax County Crime Update Meeting - 9/28/10 - 7:30pm

Fairfax County Crime Update Meeting - 9/28/10 - 7:30pm

I just found out through word-of-mouth that there is going to be a "Crime Update" meeting tomorrow (Tuesday 9/28) at 7:30 in the Community Room of the West Springfield Government Center (6140 Rolling Road, Springfield, VA 22152). http://maps.google.com/, http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/springfield/comm_room.htm.

Sorry, but I can't find any published links from the county about this event. The info came from FCPD to the head of the HOA I live in, but the meeting does appears to be open to the public.

If anyone is interested in attending, I don't think that there should be any issues with OC or CC. This building seems to be similar to the Mason District Government Center, as it has public meeting rooms, as well as a police station and county government offices; so carry shouldn't be a problem.

From the latest FCPD Weekly Activity Report

ROBBERY/MALICIOUS WOUNDING/USE OF A FIREARM IN THE COMMISSION
    OF A FELONY/ARREST: Police arrested an 18-year-old man who allegedly shot a 17-yearold
    boy during a robbery that occurred in the 6000 block of Ticonderoga Court around 9:17 p.m.
    on Friday, September 17. The victim was transported to the hospital in non life-threatening
    condition. Cameron S. Furbush, of 9268 Sprucewood Road in Burke, was apprehended and
    charged with robbery, malicious wounding and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

This happened less than a half mile from where I live, and it's a perfect example of why I carry in my quiet, little Burke neighborhood. I would guess that, at the very least, the assailant was involved in gang activity, and, given the fact the victim was able to lead police to a suspect so quickly, I would further guess that he might have known his attacker.

So.... was there a meeting?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    Yes there was. Sounded like there's actually one every month...I'll probably go to them in the future.
    Did you OC?

I also made it to the meeting, but I did not end up open carrying. I was running late, and I only had my IWB holster on me. I didn't feel that a Virginia Tuck would be appropriate, so I chose to just continue carrying concealed.

The meeting itself was insightful. I came away with a better idea of what the actual police strength in the West Springfield district is like (about 10 officer per-shift covering a 66 square mile area). I also got a little better understanding of how they track the crime stats in the county and what FCPD is doing to actively "fight crime."