• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax County Crime Update Meeting - 9/28/10 - 7:30pm

VApatriot

I just found out through word-of-mouth that there is going to be a "Crime Update" meeting tomorrow (Tuesday 9/28) at 7:30 in the Community Room of the West Springfield Government Center (6140 Rolling Road, Springfield, VA 22152). http://maps.google.com/, http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/springfield/comm_room.htm.

Sorry, but I can't find any published links from the county about this event. The info came from FCPD to the head of the HOA I live in, but the meeting does appears to be open to the public.

If anyone is interested in attending, I don't think that there should be any issues with OC or CC. This building seems to be similar to the Mason District Government Center, as it has public meeting rooms, as well as a police station and county government offices; so carry shouldn't be a problem.

VApatriot

From the latest FCPD Weekly Activity Report

ROBBERY/MALICIOUS WOUNDING/USE OF A FIREARM IN THE COMMISSION
OF A FELONY/ARREST: Police arrested an 18-year-old man who allegedly shot a 17-yearold
boy during a robbery that occurred in the 6000 block of Ticonderoga Court around 9:17 p.m.
on Friday, September 17. The victim was transported to the hospital in non life-threatening
condition. Cameron S. Furbush, of 9268 Sprucewood Road in Burke, was apprehended and
charged with robbery, malicious wounding and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

This happened less than a half mile from where I live, and it's a perfect example of why I carry in my quiet, little Burke neighborhood. I would guess that, at the very least, the assailant was involved in gang activity, and, given the fact the victim was able to lead police to a suspect so quickly, I would further guess that he might have known his attacker.

VApatriot

I also made it to the meeting, but I did not end up open carrying. I was running late, and I only had my IWB holster on me. I didn't feel that a Virginia Tuck would be appropriate, so I chose to just continue carrying concealed.

The meeting itself was insightful. I came away with a better idea of what the actual police strength in the West Springfield district is like (about 10 officer per-shift covering a 66 square mile area). I also got a little better understanding of how they track the crime stats in the county and what FCPD is doing to actively "fight crime."