Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: West Sound OC report

Thumbs up West Sound OC report

For those of us on the Kitsap and Olympic peninsulas

We are pretty OC friendly over here. Let hear all the good experiences...and any negitive one too.

Goid time in Poulsbo art galleries.

Yesterday was taking a non gun (not anti) friend around Poulsbo, particularly the art galleries. My friend was apprehensive believing there would be lots of negative reactions to OC.

One comment from a teen with parents of "look at that its so cool" parents looked and kept going.
    No issues in anywhere else even in the high end (and very good) gallery near the Marine sciene center. Where I must admit I figured if there was going to be a negitive reaction it would be there.

On a slightly less positive note the "No guns" signs are still up at Kitaap county parks and while rhe code has been changwd the signs have not and a letter and call to the county commissioners have gone unanswered.

It's all good...

I have never had a bad experience on the peninsula. Most people don't even notice; those that do have no comment. I've never been asked to leave anywhere. The most I've ever been questioned was while having dinner at Anthony's in Gig Harbor three years ago, and that turned out well. Read about it here: http://tinyurl.com/284gkjs .

In the last few days, I've been to Albertsons Gig Harbor, the liquor store on Borgan Ave. GH, Home Depot GH, Shari's Port Orchard, Lowes PO, Gentleman Jim's Barbershop Purdy, etc. Never a problem at any of these places.

10-4-10 Albertson's Gig Harbor on Borgan. A couple of looks, but no questions.

Sweet. Usually I post up in the South Sound OC report, now I can post up here.

Just so everyone knows, Seattle Goodwill, holds an unposted "No Guns" policy, so you may be approached by a loss prevention guy in Silverdale, Bremerton or Port Orchard goodwill and asked to leave. Also, the Silverdale mall has a "No Guns" policy posted at every entrance on a small piece of framed printer paper.

Other than those 2 businesses, I have yet to have any real problems in Kitsap. A few people give me funny looks, but usually it's no looks or questions asking if they made a law making it legal. I was even at an Albertsons in Port Orchard the other day with a Sheriffs car parked in front, I walked by and didn't have any contact at all, so I think we're a good place to OC.
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

Olalla Transfer Station (what used to be the dump). Nothing exciting today.

A couple of weeks ago, a guy recognized and commented on my Kimber.

A year ago, a guy scowled at me, but two weeks later he was with a buddy, and he decided to approach me. From their demeanor and appearance, I assume they were LE. We had a nice chat, I gave them some pamphlets, and we parted on good terms.

Interesting people you meet at the dump.

Went off to Safeway in Port Orchard

Met with a very Crafty but Kind man. He attempted to fool me by tactfully approaching me without me catching sight of his firearm, but I being a skillful master of observation had noticed it right away... Not really though, I just happened to be looking for him and saw him right before he caught me off guard and lured me into defending my OC while he himself was OCing. Lol
    Thanks for the Pamphlets Trigger Dr.
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

Albertsons in Kingston, late evening. A male customer (mid 50s) remarked "that's a strange looking cell phone." From the look on his face, he wasn't trying to be funny or cordial. I pretended he was, and smiled as if I "got the joke."

Haircut place (I forget the name) across from Walmart in Poulsbo. A male customer (early 20s) asked some questions about it. Very pleasant, no trouble from him or the staff.

That's all I got.

I want to hear stories from Bainbridge Island.

Parks

Quote Originally Posted by Lante View Post
    On a slightly less positive note the "No guns" signs are still up at Kitaap county parks and while rhe code has been changwd the signs have not and a letter and call to the county commissioners have gone unanswered.
    We had a similar situation in Lacey, like a lot of cities with little extra money it will take time to get the signs changed. Our Parks and Rec director called the police dept and told them not to enforce the signs and leave lawful OC'ers alone.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Gentleman Jim's Barbershop

In Purdy. Never a problem.

Lowe's Port Orchard. Got my 10% military discount with my retired ID card. I've never been asked about my side arm here.

Been to Chase Bank by South Park quite a lot without any problems. Have yet to go to Chase in Fred Meyers, though Fred Meyers is very friendly.

Molōn labe!

Port Orchard
    Walmart
    Went there to get my friend some shells so we could go out shooting. Grabbed some targets and a "Winchester Portable Target Holder" that was gone after about 4 shots. 4th shot from my XDm went low and left and hit the arm of the holder and destroyed the thing. It would be an amazing shot... if I hadn't been aiming for the center of the target. My aim will get better with more practice. Lol. Oh yeah, no happenings at Walmart

Big 5
    Grabbed a Bore-Snake so my friend could clean his shotgun. Again, no happenings.

Mile Hill Subway
    Got me a delicious $5 Footlong Cold Cut, the woman making my sandwich did awesome. The guy behind me in line didn't look happy about seeing me wearing my drop leg. I could see his reflection in the sneeze-guard thingy and he kept staring at my leg and looked angry.

Molōn labe!

Quote Originally Posted by xxx.jakk.xxx View Post
    Port Orchard
    Mile Hill Subway
    Got me a delicious $5 Footlong Cold Cut, the woman making my sandwich did awesome. The guy behind me in line didn't look happy about seeing me wearing my drop leg. I could see his reflection in the sneeze-guard thingy and he kept staring at my leg and looked angry.
    Poor hoplophobe. You probably ruined his lunch. On the other hand, look at the story he has to tell to his hoplophobe buddies. He needs to move back to California, or at least off the peninsula.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajetpilot View Post
    Poor hoplophobe. You probably ruined his lunch. On the other hand, look at the story he has to tell to his hoplophobe buddies. He needs to move back to California, or at least off the peninsula.
    Yeah. Hoplophobes don't really fit in over here on the Peninsula. I have only seen a few who seemed to be bothered by my gun, whether it's in a noticeable or not so noticeable holster, and I've been OCing for almost a year now.

Molōn labe!

I was out and about today on my newest mobility scooter in Sequim.
    I OCed in Walmart, Brians Sporting goods (new business that just opened) and Good Will.
    I CCed (zipped jacket part way up over my XP40 in a Serpa holster) in Costco (had to get a new card to replace the one I misplaced).

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper1 View Post
    I was out and about today on my newest mobility scooter in Sequim.
    I OCed in Walmart, Brians Sporting goods (new business that just opened) and Good Will.
    I CCed (zipped jacket part way up over my XP40 in a Serpa holster) in Costco (had to get a new card to replace the one I misplaced).
    Awesome. It seems like Tacoma Goodwill (The company who run the Sequim Goodwill) may not be as Anti-Gun as their Seattle sister company.

Molōn labe!

Port Angeles and Forks

No problems to report anywhere in either town.

Attitudes are so much different out here, and I love it!

Thumbs up 1-3 OCT @ Ft Flagler SP

OC'd in and around the SP & Port Hadlock - the Friends of Fort Flagler had a very nice open house at the renovated hospital building; the park manager and another ranger were there, along with many other people.
    I had a nice plate of smoked salmon, fresh fruits, cheese & bread - and a taste of a nice shiraz... very nice park, if you haven't been.

Well, I went on a little drive from Port Orchard to Seattle and Northgate. I know that only the Port Orchard part really qualifies, but I'll post it all here.

Lakewood

Quantico Arms & Tactical Supply
    I originally went in to see the prices on AR lowers. Wasn't too pleased with cheapest being a $170 stripped DPMS. I have found much better online and can have them transfered for less than the difference. No one there had any noticeable problem with my firearm

Tactical Tailor
    I love this store and just had to go in to try to find a nice backpack for my Lady. She saw the sewing room and declared, "I want to be a seamstress here! Then I can make my own backpack!". It was pretty adorable if I may say so. Also, no problems with my firearm.

Seattle

Surplus Too
    Found that backpack for my lady. It was a Condor Tactical backpack. Was about $5 more than mine, which was the same bag, but was worth not having to deal with more Seattle traffic to get to Federal Surplus. She also grabbed the Cast iron Dutch Oven that they had for $30. It apparently was a good price. I just bought some new 550 and a Black/ White Shemagh. The guy behind the counter asked "Is that a real gun?" so I said "Yeah, it's my XDm40.". He told me that he had one also. I'm not much for conversation with strangers, so I didn't really try to keep it going. I wish I was raised to be more talkative to random people...

Sears
    Right by the surplus. I parked in the parking lot to avoid any pay parking and on the way back to the car, we stopped in to use the bathrooms. I wound up losing my balance and falling against a $2400 refrigerator with a stainless steel bar for the handle. My shoulder still feels like a refrigerator broke it... No comments on my gun. I thought sears people would have a problem with it.

Northgate

Target
    My lady wanted to see the 2 story target, so we went and shopped for a good hour and a half. Nothing exciting happened there.

Ross
    Again, nothing exciting. We didn't even buy anything in this one.

Port Orchard

Family Pancake House
    Dinner after a long day of driving and being beaten by refrigerators. Service was great, the food was awesome and not even a sideways look at me for carrying.

All in all, it was a good day. I think that most people in the areas I've been to have been desensitized to guns. I was carrying in a Drop Leg and only got the 1 question and it wasn't anything bad.

Molōn labe!

Oct 20. Port Orchard

Orchard Park Apts
    No one really touches on OCing around the homes, so I decided I'd post about my happenings. Went to wait for the mail since I got there as the mail guy got there. He didn't seem to be even the tad bit uneasy with having an armed man standing by him while he put the mail in all of the Apartments mailboxes. All I got was 1 junk mail ad. Pretty lame since I waited about 5 minutes. Oh well, I watched a spider spin its web and that was pretty cool. A group of my neighbors were on my stairs as I was walking back to my apartment, one of them asked "Mind if I borrow your gun?" and her husband said "Never give a woman a gun.". That was pretty funny. She started telling him she was getting one soon and that she was a good shot.

Safeway
    Got me some Chinese from the Deli. Their General Tsaos Chicken is better than any restaurant I've found so far.

Gorst

Boerner's Guns
    Stopped in to see if they had any good priced AR-15 Lowers. They had 2, a complete RRA and a stripped Stag. Neither of them were in the price I was looking for. I did find a CQC Serpa for my XDm for $25 so I snatched that up. Half the price of the one I have now and I have plans for this one that have to do with my car. Everyone behind the counter was armed, so I felt right at home in there.

Still VERY uneventful over here on the Peninsula.
    Last edited by xxx.jakk.xxx; 10-21-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Molōn labe!

Port Orchard

Chase Bank in South Park
    OCed in a Thigh rig and had no problem. Even had to stand there waiting for the guy I needed to talk to so I probably looked very suspicious.

Molōn labe!

I OC everywhere around Port Orchard and never have issues. I even OC around Bremerton, Silverdale and really all over our side of the Sound. The only issue I've ever had was with COSTCO in Gig Harbor, but that's COSTCO. Sometimes I'll get comments and they are usually on the order of "what kind of gun is that" and once in a while a "what, you can really do that?" comes up.

I'm in and out of Fred Meyer, QFC, Walmart, Lowe's, Ace, New to You, Goodwill, NAPA, Kitsap Credit Union (they always smile and give me great service), and many other places. Funny that I haven't seen any other OCers in P.O.

I also encourage my customers to not only get their CPL to avoid the 5 day waiting period for handguns and to allow loaded carry in vehicles, but I also encourage OC when the topic comes up.

Never had any trouble to speak of on Kitsap Peninsula. I rarely bother to 'look' for a response anymore, it's just not my normal body language, so I don't really think much about it anymore. I oc much of the time when riding my motorcycle to work, hardly even a look. I'd prefer the 7am traffic through Gorst keep their eyes on the road anyway.

Gig Harbor - Albertsons, Target, Petco, Napa
    PO - Walmart, Fred Meyer, Alberstons (both), Radio Shack (are you a cop? Oh, you just carry it around....ok.), various gas stations, DQ, Shari's, Burger King;
    Bremerton - Fred Meyer, Safeway (both), Napa, Kitsap Way Red Apple Market, Big Apple Diner
    Silverdale - You get the idea.

I've taken to leaving mag holder and holster on when entering 'no gun' areas. A benign comment or two is all.

Even Boerners hasn't given me a hard time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast