• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

West Sound OC report

xxx.jakk.xxx

Well, I went on a little drive from Port Orchard to Seattle and Northgate. I know that only the Port Orchard part really qualifies, but I'll post it all here.

Lakewood

Quantico Arms & Tactical Supply
I originally went in to see the prices on AR lowers. Wasn't too pleased with cheapest being a $170 stripped DPMS. I have found much better online and can have them transfered for less than the difference. No one there had any noticeable problem with my firearm

Tactical Tailor
I love this store and just had to go in to try to find a nice backpack for my Lady. She saw the sewing room and declared, "I want to be a seamstress here! Then I can make my own backpack!". It was pretty adorable if I may say so. Also, no problems with my firearm.

Seattle

Surplus Too
Found that backpack for my lady. It was a Condor Tactical backpack. Was about $5 more than mine, which was the same bag, but was worth not having to deal with more Seattle traffic to get to Federal Surplus. She also grabbed the Cast iron Dutch Oven that they had for $30. It apparently was a good price. I just bought some new 550 and a Black/ White Shemagh. The guy behind the counter asked "Is that a real gun?" so I said "Yeah, it's my XDm40.". He told me that he had one also. I'm not much for conversation with strangers, so I didn't really try to keep it going. I wish I was raised to be more talkative to random people...

Sears
Right by the surplus. I parked in the parking lot to avoid any pay parking and on the way back to the car, we stopped in to use the bathrooms. I wound up losing my balance and falling against a $2400 refrigerator with a stainless steel bar for the handle. My shoulder still feels like a refrigerator broke it... No comments on my gun. I thought sears people would have a problem with it.

Northgate

Target
My lady wanted to see the 2 story target, so we went and shopped for a good hour and a half. Nothing exciting happened there.

Ross
Again, nothing exciting. We didn't even buy anything in this one.

Port Orchard

Family Pancake House
Dinner after a long day of driving and being beaten by refrigerators. Service was great, the food was awesome and not even a sideways look at me for carrying.

All in all, it was a good day. I think that most people in the areas I've been to have been desensitized to guns. I was carrying in a Drop Leg and only got the 1 question and it wasn't anything bad.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Oct 20. Port Orchard

Orchard Park Apts
No one really touches on OCing around the homes, so I decided I'd post about my happenings. Went to wait for the mail since I got there as the mail guy got there. He didn't seem to be even the tad bit uneasy with having an armed man standing by him while he put the mail in all of the Apartments mailboxes. All I got was 1 junk mail ad. Pretty lame since I waited about 5 minutes. Oh well, I watched a spider spin its web and that was pretty cool. A group of my neighbors were on my stairs as I was walking back to my apartment, one of them asked "Mind if I borrow your gun?" and her husband said "Never give a woman a gun.". That was pretty funny. She started telling him she was getting one soon and that she was a good shot.

Safeway
Got me some Chinese from the Deli. Their General Tsaos Chicken is better than any restaurant I've found so far.

Gorst

Boerner's Guns
Stopped in to see if they had any good priced AR-15 Lowers. They had 2, a complete RRA and a stripped Stag. Neither of them were in the price I was looking for. I did find a CQC Serpa for my XDm for $25 so I snatched that up. Half the price of the one I have now and I have plans for this one that have to do with my car. Everyone behind the counter was armed, so I felt right at home in there.

Still VERY uneventful over here on the Peninsula.

Last edited:

xxx.jakk.xxx

Port Orchard

Chase Bank in South Park
OCed in a Thigh rig and had no problem. Even had to stand there waiting for the guy I needed to talk to so I probably looked very suspicious.

sirpuma

I OC everywhere around Port Orchard and never have issues. I even OC around Bremerton, Silverdale and really all over our side of the Sound. The only issue I've ever had was with COSTCO in Gig Harbor, but that's COSTCO. Sometimes I'll get comments and they are usually on the order of "what kind of gun is that" and once in a while a "what, you can really do that?" comes up.

I'm in and out of Fred Meyer, QFC, Walmart, Lowe's, Ace, New to You, Goodwill, NAPA, Kitsap Credit Union (they always smile and give me great service), and many other places. Funny that I haven't seen any other OCers in P.O.

I also encourage my customers to not only get their CPL to avoid the 5 day waiting period for handguns and to allow loaded carry in vehicles, but I also encourage OC when the topic comes up.

aktion

Never had any trouble to speak of on Kitsap Peninsula. I rarely bother to 'look' for a response anymore, it's just not my normal body language, so I don't really think much about it anymore. I oc much of the time when riding my motorcycle to work, hardly even a look. I'd prefer the 7am traffic through Gorst keep their eyes on the road anyway.

Gig Harbor - Albertsons, Target, Petco, Napa
PO - Walmart, Fred Meyer, Alberstons (both), Radio Shack (are you a cop? Oh, you just carry it around....ok.), various gas stations, DQ, Shari's, Burger King;
Bremerton - Fred Meyer, Safeway (both), Napa, Kitsap Way Red Apple Market, Big Apple Diner
Silverdale - You get the idea.

I've taken to leaving mag holder and holster on when entering 'no gun' areas. A benign comment or two is all.

Even Boerners hasn't given me a hard time.

jeeper1

I OC'ed in the new Walmart in Port Angeles today. It went great, sort of. I had to wait an hour and a quarter for an electric mobility scooter to become available so I could shop. I talked with a bunch of people while waiting. I can only conclude either no one cares or more likely, they are blind. The only comment I got was from the clerk who was helping me put my purchases in my truck and he only wanted to know the caliber, he prefers 45 caliber.
A side note, they have plenty of ammo and reloading supplies there including lots of 380 ammo.
A further note, in the future I will either bring my own short range mobility scooter or ride there from home on my long distance mobility scooter as it is only 11 miles one way.

boatswain

I'm not surprised areas of Kitsap like Silverdale, Bremerton and Port Orchard etc are good for open carry given that they are rural areas with a large military presence.

Still waiting to see if anyone is game enough to OC on Bainbridge Island though. That's a real test of OC!

Last edited:

boatswain

I lived on Bainbridge for five years and it's a liberal paradise. There is sure to be a MWAG call to the Bainbridge PD the moment you set foot on the main street.

Trigger Dr

I lived on Bainbridge for five years and it's a liberal paradise. There is sure to be a MWAG call to the Bainbridge PD the moment you set foot on the main street.

I think I will go up there far a short visit tomorrow. Details to follow

Ajetpilot

So is everywhere else on this side of the mountains, but the same laws apply. So what if they wet their panties and call 9-1-1 MWAG? The LEO shouldn't even make contact, just observe. If he does make contact, you don't have to talk to him, other than to say, "Good afternoon officer. Am I being detained, or am I free to go."

Wish I could join you, TriggerDr.

Trigger Dr

So is everywhere else on this side of the mountains, but the same laws apply. So what if they wet their panties and call 9-1-1 MWAG? The LEO shouldn't even make contact, just observe. If he does make contact, you don't have to talk to him, other than to say, "Good afternoon officer. Am I being detained, or am I free to go."

Wish I could join you, TriggerDr.

PM me your address, and I will getthat cylinder loader out to you.

xxx.jakk.xxx

November 11, 2010

Bremerton
Bourner's Guns
Buddy of mine got a new S&W M&P 45. Great looking gun. My lady decided that she wants a Silver Kimber Pro Carry with black grips.

Port Orchard
WalMart
Pretty much out of .45acp... Wound up not buying anything. I did notice that they have 100rd boxes of Winchester .40s&w for $30. May have to go pick some up. The federal I had Failed to Feed correctly 4 of the 100 shots but the winchester had no problem.

Big 5
Bought some .45 for my friend. He was so broke after the M&P purchase that he couldn't afford ammo. Walmart seems to have better prices, but less selection.

Ajetpilot

November 11, 2010

Bremerton
Bourner's Guns
Buddy of mine got a new S&W M&P 45. Great looking gun. My lady decided that she wants a Silver Kimber Pro Carry with black grips.

Years ago, before they changed locations, the owner was very anti-OC. He berated me for OC, and he would have kicked me out if I hadn't already tendered my credit card. Times change. I've been in there several times recently with no problems and good service.

Your lady has excellent taste.

xxx.jakk.xxx

November 12, 2010
Port Orchard
Walmart
No happenings
Office Depot
No happenings

=\

Years ago, before they changed locations, the owner was very anti-OC. He berated me for OC, and he would have kicked me out if I hadn't already tendered my credit card. Times change. I've been in there several times recently with no problems and good service.

Your lady has excellent taste.

I've OCed in there quite a few times and I think that every employee there also OCs.

I have to agree, that gun is beautiful.

Last edited:

Ajetpilot

Yesterday, NOV 11, I went to Gentleman Jim's Barbershop in Purdy. It was the first time I had been out of the house, except for one doctor visit, since my neck operation on OCT 27. While I was sitting in the chair, a guy in his 30s came in with his two young sons and his wife to get the boys a haircut. He noticed my gun and asked what I was carrying. I told him it was a Kimber .45, and he said he thought so. He said he preferred his Glock .40, and one of the best features was that he didn't have to buy it because his LE department issued it to him. We laughed and continued the discussion about the attributes of various handguns. Not a single word was said about OC, as it should be. It was great to be out and about again.

rhino1121

Here is a list of open carryfriendly businesses I have been to

Of all the places I shop, eat at only Costco has asked for me to return my weapon to my vehicle, I was openly carried as I always do.
The Following restraunt Aloha Kitchen located at 10516 Silverdale Wy in Sliverdale WA 98383 not only supports open carry, but also encourges everyone to do so. The food they serve there is not only great, but their service is outstanding. I highly recomment them to everyone. the other businesses I visit at as follows Dels, China SUn, Sizzler Bremerton WA, South Park QFC Port Orchard, SAARs Port Orchard WA
Port Orchard Safeway store. Fred Meyer Port Orchard WA, TIme Saver Grocery Mile hill in Port Orchard WA. To be honest I always open carry, I tend to not wear coats 90% of the time. Other than the CostCo store in Silverdale I have never had a problem, not with Law Enforcement, business owners, or regular people. The reason is at least I believe this to be the reason is I am well known here, I am respectful to other people always, and most importantly is well I wear my side arm proudly I never touch or play with it in public. Common sense tell us if you respect others and their rights, most of the time they will respect your rights.

Trigger Dr

I don't know you

But if you give me a PM, maybe we can get together for coffee. I also am in Port Orchard

xxx.jakk.xxx

Welcome Rhino. I am also a Port Orchard carrier. I have carried to every place on your list, aside form Time Saver and Sizzler without incident. It is nice to live in a town where, most, everyone respects your decision to carry. I have only had a few negative encounters and that was my work and 7-11. 7-11 just asked me to cover it because "if the police see it they'll think you're robbing us and shoot you" and my work is because it's against company policy.