• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Terrorist detective almost killed me and my brother

bboylobo

On September 22nd 2010 beginning around 7:30 pm I was finishing up for the night in my garage. I have been remodeling the interior for a week and a half. There was a need for some more lumber so I decided to pack up and head out to the local hardware store. As I was leaving, my brother, who lives with me, had come down from the house to grab his registered firearm from his car and head back inside. As he holstered his firearm in the rear of his pants as many gun owners do when they are open carrying, we decided to have a word with our neighbor to see how he was doing.
My neighbor has a garage about 7 feet away from my property across an access road. We walked to the door of the garage and realized he was not home. At this point we walked back to my driveway and said goodnight. I jumped into my jeep and began backing out of my driveway. Little did I know my night had only just begun
I was about 5 to 6 feet out of my driveway when I heard a loud commotion coming from my left window. It was a man with a gun. This man was about 5 foot 9 inches tall and was wearing what looked like khaki pants and a blue button down shirt that was un-tucked. He looked like he had just come off a long hard shift at a shoe department store like payless. His hand gun was pointed at my face and the sight of this instantly raised my adrenaline. He was screaming at me “Get the **** out of the car or I’m goanna ******* shoot you”. As I began to adhere to his request I couldn’t help but yell back an inquiry as to who he was. “Who in the hell are you and what is your problem” I shot back with a stern voice. He only reiterated his previous request adding “put your hands on the car” so I not so kindly obliged to his request. I thought I was being car jacked by some crazed lunatic. This man was sweating profusely and looked as though he had a high blood pressure problem from being a tad overweight. I asked to man to identify himself again and he finally said that he was a detective. At this point I noticed that my brother had made his way back to the driveway due to the commotion. He was initially reaching for his gun when I shouted for him to put his hands up. Detective finally shouted “police” and pointed the gun at my brother. “Put your ******* hands up or I’m goanna blow your ******* head off mother fucker” he screamed as more sweat dripped of his face like grease off freshly cooked bacon.
My brother inched toward the car with his hands up and yelled at the officer “I have a gun and a permit, don’t shoot my little brother”. The officer responded, “I don’t give a ****, keep your ******* hands up or I’ll kill you”. My brother finally made it to the jeep and slowly placed his hands on the hood of the car. The detective who had a hand radio called for back-up. We waited there for 5 minutes as the back up came. During this time period I continued to ask the detective what this whole event was about. He continued to tell me to shut the **** up. He frisked my brother and threw his hand gun on the floor and stepped on it. Then pulled out his id and permit to carry concealed. It felt as though we were about to arrested and thrown in jail.
The back up arrived, which consisted of about 6 police cruisers and maybe 10 additional officers. I began to ask them questions over and over about what is going on. All I received was a loud “shut the **** up” and as I continued my civil disobedience an office grabbed me by neck and told me to shut the **** directly in my ear. This act of abuse calmed me out of fear for my safety. As 2 officers approached my brother I told them that my brother had fractured one of his vertebrae and requested if they could be less abusive to him as was done to me. I was met with more discontent and derogatory language.
I was frisked and placed on the floor caddy corner from brother so that I could not see what was going on. I found this to be a deliberate attempt to conceal what they were doing to him. According to my brother at this point the same officer who gripped my neck pushed my brothers back into the hood of the jeep and was forced down into the hood violently adding to his pain that he has been recovering from for 2 weeks. About 15 minutes passed and during this time the multitude of officers were just standing around silently conversing amongst themselves. I felt an aura of concern from many of these men and women as if something wrong had just happen. After the situation appeared to be conveyed to my brother I was allowed to stand. The detective who almost murdered me in my car approached me with a smile and handed my identification back. He proceeded to explain to me that all the screaming and the gun pointing was necessary because he saw that my brother had a firearm holstered in his back. He then thought that he could butter me up by saying I did a great job following orders and handling the situation. I just smiled, agreed and told the detective that I will keep my comments to myself. All of the cruisers at this point had left or were in the process of leaving the scene. My brother and I were left alone with our family, friends and neighbors to reminisce on the events that just occurred.
My blood was boiling. I needed an escape. I felt as thought the world just kicked me to the ground and defecated on my face while slapping me over and over. I was nothing, a nobody and I meant nothing to the very system that was put in place to provide protection for me and those I care about. I was scared for my life even after the terrorists left. I needed to do something.
My brother and I went to the police station that same night and filed a formal complaint against the detective. The sergeant who took the statements down and file the complain said that Internal Affairs will do an investigation as to what happen and if proper procedure was follows. I think not.

Im looking for some insight, opinion, advice and help with my next step. i want to send this to my local news outlets and senator.

Guy

wow

As I am sure we are all aware there is Protocol in cases like this. And it needs to be for the safety of any Police. But when you get a wild card, mentally unstable cowboy with a badge like this, private citizens need to be able to pursue legal action so that he dont end up killing or injuring an innocent, law abiding citizen in the future.

You have my deepest sympathy. Please keep us posted as to how this plays out. This joker needs to lose his badge.

PS Where is the "DISORDERLY CONDUCT" charges to these profanity screaming idiots?
:mad:

bboylobo

there was no charges associated with what this basterd did. I think we were profiled because we are puerto rican. I am also wondering if he didnt associate a charge with what he did in hopes that i didnt know that i could file a formal complaint. :cuss:

Guy

It doesnt matter what race a person is, if they are legal in carrying so be it. But I do see your point. Sorry about what has happened. And by all means take this as far as you need to legally. Altercations like this need to end. And until an example is made out of a couple of these run amuck cowboys, it will just keep happening.

Thank goodness you still are above ground and can talk about what happened...

Thundar

Stupid JBT should not be allowed to carry a squirt gun.

If my brother and I were there, it probably would have ended quite differently.

Stupid overreaction by the detective placed everyone in danger.

This assault appears to have all of the elements of felony assault.

Dreamer

Four questions:

1) where was your voice recorder during this encounter? (PA is a ONE PARTY CONSENT state when it comes to PUBLIC conversations!!!)

2) what was this "detective's" name and badge number?

3) when are you going to file a FOIA request for ALL the radio traffic, reports, and information associated with this event?

4) When is your lawyer going to file a Federal Civil Rights Violation suit on your behalf?

Last edited:

LRS76251

This one also smells...

Sounds more like someone trying to write up a dramatic scene for creative writing or something. Why would a detective in plain clothes blow their cover over something like this? They've got bigger fish to fry!! Lots missing here. You obviously weren't committing any crimes so no RAS and a detective would know this. Something stinks!!

NYNRA

There is definitely a bit too much drama on this write up. But on face value it looks like the cop thought you were looking to burglarize your neighbors house. If I was the homeowner, I'd be pretty damn satisfied with the police response.

sst0185

"he screamed as more sweat dripped of his face like grease off freshly cooked bacon."

whatever

Dreamer

Not exactly. The individual being recorded must be informed they are being recorded. Even if they object, in a public area where there is no expectation of privacy, you can continue to record.

Not true...

PA has a "reasonable Expectation of Privacy" clause that makes ALL conversations happening in a public place exempt from two-party consent. As long as ONE person in the conversation knows a recording is being made, and that conversation is hapenning in a public place (on a street or sidewalk, or at a public event, etc) then "one-part consent" rules apply...

http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/pennsylvania/pennsylvania-recording-law

lockman

State Researcher
Old post?

I remember reading an almost identical post in another state forum a year or so back. Including the comments about the overweight offender.

NYNRA

Now that I reread the OP's post with greater attention to detail I wonder about the properly registered handgun in PA as well as the Holster in the rear pants as many supposedly carry, I am now gona call BS on this story.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Now that I reread the OP's post with greater attention to detail I wonder about the properly registered handgun in PA as well as the Holster in the rear pants as many supposedly carry, I am now gona call BS on this story.

It is a little unusual that the OP hasn't been back to check his thread, say thanks for the advice, or argue with the BS-callers. Two posts and he disappears. Not proof positive mind you. A fellow could be busy. But, it is unusual.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Specific questions for bboylobo

You show that you live in Lancaster. Is that Pennsylvania and where exactly did this occur - city and town?

Provide copies of FOIA request to appropriate agency and/or copies of formal complaint or this did NOT happen. It's too late to hide behind keeping the info confidential, as you've already dumped the proverbial pot of beans.

My BS flag has not flown lately, but I've already got it out of the box for this one - prove me wrong.