Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumb move

Dumb move

In my state OC is legal and I also have a CCW. I have been OCing for about 10 yrs or so. I've had some strange situations arrive over it but this one has me nervous. I live in a very rural part of the state. I was pulled over for speeding. Not much ovover, 5

Banned
    I think you accidentally left off a lot of your story.

That, or your are trying to pique everyone's interest. Ya got me, so I am ready for installment 2!

*grabs the popcorn*

This better be good or Imma want my money back!

Sry. Lol. Any way. I pulled over and was asked over the PA to exit the vehicle and move to the rear of my truck. No big deal right? About the time I get there he is exiting his vehicle. I saw his eyes drop to my side arm. I knew what was coming by how big his eyes had gotten.
    He dropped his clip board and drew on me. I'm well trained both on my own and by the military. Being on the buisiness end of a firearm is a serious situation to be in. I o ly hesitated because he was a LEO. I know my abilities and this could have gone much worse. I have tremendous respect for law enforcement , but t that moment I was in fear of my life

Banned
    Wow. The officer overreacted. Badly.

What happened next?

I complied. On my knees hands on my head and disarmed. I feel he made a very bad move. One that could have changed both our lives forever.

Banned
    Have you pursued a complaint with his superiors?

I spoke to the sheriff about it but got the impression the he felt the officer was justified in his actions. If I had reacted the way I train to do there is no doubt in my mind he would be minus a deputy and I'd be on trial for my life

Banned
    Well, I don't know LA law, so I'll drop it. I just think that there should be some action you could take. You were assaulted. Unjustifiably. That deputy is a danger to the public and to himself.

Quote Originally Posted by vmaxriders View Post
    I spoke to the sheriff about it but got the impression the he felt the officer was justified in his actions. If I had reacted the way I train to do there is no doubt in my mind he would be minus a deputy and I'd be on trial for my life
    I'm guess you mean you would have shot anyone else trying to draw a weapon on you? Which i couldn't blame you. A big problem i see is anyone could say police drop your weapon and how are you to know if they are a cop and if they pull a gun on you...then what? If he is a cop and you draw yours, you could get in a whole heck of a lot of trouble. If he is not a cop and just some thug then you could be shot. It makes the whole decision of defending yourself against someone who claims they are police (may or may not look the part) really hard.

I used to think that an armed society was a polite society. Then I interacted with a police officer, while wearing a gun he didn't know about (it was OC, if I had gotten out of the car). I lost respect for the profession that day. There is no polite. There is only "you're dead, and I'm writing a report."
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Banned
    The officer I dealt with was polite. Wrong. But, polite.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    The time it takes for his finger to reach the trigger of a gun that is already aimed at you...
    I think you incorrectly assume that a "gun pointed in your direction" and "a gun aimed at you" are the same thing.

Regardless, this officer is a danger to himself and others, much like the cop who drew on the motorcyclist for the "crime" of speeding. Any officer whose first instinct is to draw on a compliant citizen simply because that citizen is wearing a sidearm needs to be observed and evaluated.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    I think you incorrectly assume that a "gun pointed in your direction" and "a gun aimed at you" are the same thing.

Regardless, this officer is a danger to himself and others, much like the cop who drew on the motorcyclist for the "crime" of speeding. Any officer whose first instinct is to draw on a compliant citizen simply because that citizen is wearing a sidearm needs to be observed and evaluated.
    I don't know how you would do things, but, if I ever point a gun at someone, I guarantee it will be aimed at him. And, any gun pointed at me will be assumed to be aimed.

After everything got settled down, I would have a piece of that "Officer's" backside.

One of the first things I would have told him is: The only reason you are still alive is because you are a police officer, Dumbass!!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Tough talk is easy when you aren't staring down the barrel of the adversary's gun.

You don't read very well.

I said AFTER everything had settled down. I am NOT stupid.

But afterward we would have had that little chat.

BTW, I have seen the wrong end of a firearm. I know how I react. It really gets me irritated. Extremely irritated.
    Last edited by OldCurlyWolf; 10-06-2010 at 01:17 AM.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

personally i woulda complied while asking him "On what grounds are you pointing your weapon at me and ordering me to the ground? A holstered and legal sidearm? A HOLSTERED and LEGAL sidearm? Really? Think about it Cpl. Quickdraw."

Banned
    I just don't think it is wise to make a guy pointing a gun at you angrier by calling him names.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I just don't think it is wise to make a guy pointing a gun at you angrier by calling him names.
    +1. Sometimes de-escalating the situation is the smartest move one can make.

I think there are a lot of missing details here. Speeding a few miles over, does not warrant, what sounds to me like a felony stop. Smells fishy
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

actually come to think of it, yea leo's dont tell you to get out and move to the rear for speeding. were you driving a stolen vehicle? lol

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

As a matter of both courtesy and common sense, I have always notified LEOs immediately upon contact that I'm carrying a loaded firearm (although I'm CCW, not OC). Just a simple and polite "Before we go any further, you should know that I'm carrying".

In all instances, the police have responded courteously and professionally to this statement (and thanked me for being forthright). Some fraction will ask to hold the gun while conducting their stop, others won't -- all are far less likely to be alarmed if you tell them than if they find out themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by brimst0ne13 View Post
    personally i woulda complied while asking him "On what grounds are you pointing your weapon at me and ordering me to the ground? A holstered and legal sidearm? A HOLSTERED and LEGAL sidearm? Really? Think about it Cpl. Quickdraw."
    Probable cause that an individual has committed a crime. If an officer sees you committing an offense (like speeding or failing to wear a seatbelt) he is entitled to arrest, detain and disarm you. In fact, he can cuff you and bring you into the station (see here). Suggesting that, as an alternative to a full custodial arrest, he cannot detain and disarm is utterly bizarre.

Not that he was correct, mind you, but it is undoubtedly within an LEOs power to effect an arrest. He should exercise his power judiciously (and most do, how often does someone get a full custodial arrest for speeding anyway -- he sounds like a jerk) but playing cowboy lawyer, especially when you are wrong, is hardly advisable.

Quote Originally Posted by nonzenze View Post
    As a matter of both courtesy and common sense, I have always notified LEOs immediately upon contact that I'm carrying a loaded firearm (although I'm CCW, not OC). Just a simple and polite "Before we go any further, you should know that I'm carrying".

In all instances, the police have responded courteously and professionally to this statement (and thanked me for being forthright). Some fraction will ask to hold the gun while conducting their stop, others won't -- all are far less likely to be alarmed if you tell them than if they find out themselves.
    Unfortunately that doesn't always work. I have been courteous with police and was responded with, "We believe you to impersonating us."

Quote Originally Posted by nonzenze View Post
    Probable cause that an individual has committed a crime. If an officer sees you committing an offense (like speeding or failing to wear a seatbelt) he is entitled to arrest, detain and disarm you. In fact, he can cuff you and bring you into the station (see here). Suggesting that, as an alternative to a full custodial arrest, he cannot detain and disarm is utterly bizarre.

Not that he was correct, mind you, but it is undoubtedly within an LEOs power to effect an arrest. He should exercise his power judiciously (and most do, how often does someone get a full custodial arrest for speeding anyway -- he sounds like a jerk) but playing cowboy lawyer, especially when you are wrong, is hardly advisable.
    Seems to be working out "real" well for a few places in WI. NOT! Police agencies who have arrested or harassed lawful carriers have been sued/protested.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast