• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dumb move

vmaxriders

In my state OC is legal and I also have a CCW. I have been OCing for about 10 yrs or so. I've had some strange situations arrive over it but this one has me nervous. I live in a very rural part of the state. I was pulled over for speeding. Not much ovover, 5

eye95

I think you accidentally left off a lot of your story.

That, or your are trying to pique everyone's interest. Ya got me, so I am ready for installment 2!

vmaxriders

Sry. Lol. Any way. I pulled over and was asked over the PA to exit the vehicle and move to the rear of my truck. No big deal right? About the time I get there he is exiting his vehicle. I saw his eyes drop to my side arm. I knew what was coming by how big his eyes had gotten.
He dropped his clip board and drew on me. I'm well trained both on my own and by the military. Being on the buisiness end of a firearm is a serious situation to be in. I o ly hesitated because he was a LEO. I know my abilities and this could have gone much worse. I have tremendous respect for law enforcement , but t that moment I was in fear of my life

vmaxriders

I complied. On my knees hands on my head and disarmed. I feel he made a very bad move. One that could have changed both our lives forever.

vmaxriders

I spoke to the sheriff about it but got the impression the he felt the officer was justified in his actions. If I had reacted the way I train to do there is no doubt in my mind he would be minus a deputy and I'd be on trial for my life

eye95

Well, I don't know LA law, so I'll drop it. I just think that there should be some action you could take. You were assaulted. Unjustifiably. That deputy is a danger to the public and to himself.

HolyOrangeJuice

I spoke to the sheriff about it but got the impression the he felt the officer was justified in his actions. If I had reacted the way I train to do there is no doubt in my mind he would be minus a deputy and I'd be on trial for my life

I'm guess you mean you would have shot anyone else trying to draw a weapon on you? Which i couldn't blame you. A big problem i see is anyone could say police drop your weapon and how are you to know if they are a cop and if they pull a gun on you...then what? If he is a cop and you draw yours, you could get in a whole heck of a lot of trouble. If he is not a cop and just some thug then you could be shot. It makes the whole decision of defending yourself against someone who claims they are police (may or may not look the part) really hard.

Kirbinator

I used to think that an armed society was a polite society. Then I interacted with a police officer, while wearing a gun he didn't know about (it was OC, if I had gotten out of the car). I lost respect for the profession that day. There is no polite. There is only "you're dead, and I'm writing a report."

wylde007

The time it takes for his finger to reach the trigger of a gun that is already aimed at you...
I think you incorrectly assume that a "gun pointed in your direction" and "a gun aimed at you" are the same thing.

Regardless, this officer is a danger to himself and others, much like the cop who drew on the motorcyclist for the "crime" of speeding. Any officer whose first instinct is to draw on a compliant citizen simply because that citizen is wearing a sidearm needs to be observed and evaluated.

eye95

I think you incorrectly assume that a "gun pointed in your direction" and "a gun aimed at you" are the same thing.

Regardless, this officer is a danger to himself and others, much like the cop who drew on the motorcyclist for the "crime" of speeding. Any officer whose first instinct is to draw on a compliant citizen simply because that citizen is wearing a sidearm needs to be observed and evaluated.

I don't know how you would do things, but, if I ever point a gun at someone, I guarantee it will be aimed at him. And, any gun pointed at me will be assumed to be aimed.

OldCurlyWolf

After everything got settled down, I would have a piece of that "Officer's" backside.

One of the first things I would have told him is: The only reason you are still alive is because you are a police officer, Dumbass!!

OldCurlyWolf

Tough talk is easy when you aren't staring down the barrel of the adversary's gun.

You don't read very well.

I said AFTER everything had settled down. I am NOT stupid.

But afterward we would have had that little chat.

BTW, I have seen the wrong end of a firearm. I know how I react. It really gets me irritated. Extremely irritated.

Last edited:

brimst0ne13

personally i woulda complied while asking him "On what grounds are you pointing your weapon at me and ordering me to the ground? A holstered and legal sidearm? A HOLSTERED and LEGAL sidearm? Really? Think about it Cpl. Quickdraw."