Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: .45 Para Ordnance Holster

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    221

    .45 Para Ordnance Holster

    .45 that closely resembles mine

    I am a left handed shooter and this firearm has been perfect for me with the thumb safety that can be engaged or disengaged on each side of the firearm. I have been searching through a few sites and have seen a ton of holsters all in a variety of price ranges and for different variety of handguns. I am new to OC and would like your suggestions on which type of holster i should buy to OC this firearm.

    Also, i was wondering what you guys thought would be better. A thigh/leg holster or a hip holster.
    Last edited by HolyOrangeJuice; 09-28-2010 at 12:40 AM. Reason: link

  2. #2
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyOrangeJuice View Post
    .45 that closely resembles mine

    I am a left handed shooter and this firearm has been perfect for me with the thumb safety that can be engaged or disengaged on each side of the firearm. I have been searching through a few sites and have seen a ton of holsters all in a variety of price ranges and for different variety of handguns. I am new to OC and would like your suggestions on which type of holster i should buy to OC this firearm.

    Also, i was wondering what you guys thought would be better. A thigh/leg holster or a hip holster.
    It should fit in any standard 1911 holster. I like the SERPA retention holster (left and right handed). Others prefer Safariland or others. I also prefer a holster on my belt but a few around here like a thigh rig. Personal preference etc.

    The nice thing about the SERPA is that it runs around $30 bucks rather than $120+ for leather Galco or Safariland versions.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    221
    Great, I'm glad that there are some good cheaper holsters. Thanks for the information you gave.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    I have a full-sized Para S-14.45, and it fits the Serpa holsters perfectly. It also fits every Galco and Bianchi I've tried it in (I own both and have tried several).

    I own 2 Serpa CQCs--one on a paddle, and one on a "drop loop" for winter wear (with jackets), and I LOVE the Serpa. The retention system takes some training, so UNLOAD YOUR GUN, then double, then TRIPLE check it and do presentation drills (about 50 reps/day, for a week or two) to get used to how it works. A few weeks of presentation drills should get you used to it.

    Be careful buying Serpa's on EBAY though--the older "first generation" Serpa CQCs that are marked for the 1911 don't fit the Para to well--they pinch it a little at the grip where the mag well swell is on a Para double stack. A little time with a Dremel and a sanding bit can help, but it's not an ideal fit. The "second gen" and all the current versions of the Serpa CQC are flared more at the throat of the scabbard, and fit the thicker grips on the Paras much better...

    I also have a couple older IWBs from Galco and Bianchi (I prefer the Galco because of the belt clip), and it fits them both very well.

    I also have a Galco Side Snap Scabbard, and it is a real nice-looking holster. It has no active retention though, so I don't wear it much (except for CC, and as a BBQ holster). Again, a perfect fit.

    And the first holster I bought for my Para was a Galco Paddle-Lite. I got it for under $35, it is black leather, and has a thumb snap for retention. Its not the prettiest holster in the world, but it's rugged, serviceable, and draws easy (but nowhere near as fast and smooth as a Serpa).

    The thing I love most about the Serpa (after it's great retention, and lightning fast draw) is that it is GREAT for re-holstering. Being a hard polymer scabbard, the gun just naturally goes right into place with a satisfying "click", and you don't have to fiddle with it like a leather holster with a thumb snap...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 09-28-2010 at 11:56 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    221
    I was looking at one of these but the only size regarding a .45 like mine i think would be the 1911 government size. Would this holster be a nice option to get? I looked them on on youtube and i think they seem pretty decent.

  6. #6
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyOrangeJuice View Post
    I was looking at one of these but the only size regarding a .45 like mine i think would be the 1911 government size. Would this holster be a nice option to get? I looked them on on youtube and i think they seem pretty decent.
    Not exactly sure which "one of those" you are referring to. I do know two people that modified their SERPA for a Kimber Custom Carry II by sawing off the end (unneeded length) and melting the edges. Since all my 1911's are Government 5" models I haven't had the need to modify anything. :-)
    Last edited by 45acpForMe; 09-29-2010 at 07:20 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    Not exactly sure which "one of those" you are referring to. I do know two people that modified their SERPA for a Kimber Custom Carry II by sawing off the end (unneeded length) and melting the edges. Since all my 1911's are Government 5" models I haven't had the need to modify anything. :-)
    I forgot the link:
    http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SER...,1145,1410.htm

  8. #8
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Blackhawk only makes the Serpa CQC in the "Government model" lengths. ALL standard 1911-type guns will fit in it. The gun is indexed in the holster by the front of the trigger guard, so the shorter 1911 models (commanders, subcompacts, etc) will work fine--you'll just have some extra air space at the bottom of the holster because the barrel and slide are shorter.

    Personally, I think this is an OK thing. I think having the barrel up inside the holster a little bit is a GOOD thing--it protects the front sight more, and protects the crown of your barrel too. It also keeps stuff from getting up in the dust cover and guide rod spring area...

    If you want to you can easily shorten a Serpa with a hacksaw, and smooth the edge with a soldering iron or fine sandpaper, but I'd leave it long. Modifying a Serpa will, after all, void the guarantee...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 09-29-2010 at 09:42 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Blackhawk only makes the Serpa CQC in the "Government model" lengths. ALL standard 1911-type guns will fit in it. The gun is indexed in the holster by the front of the trigger guard, so the shorter 1911 models (commanders, subcompacts, etc) will work fine--you'll just have some extra air space at the bottom of the holster because the barrel and slide are shorter.

    Personally, I think this is an OK thing. I think having the barrel up inside the holster a little bit is a GOOD thing--it protects the front sight more, and protects the crown of your barrel too. It also keeps stuff from getting up in the dust cover and guide rod spring area...

    If you want to you can easily shorten a Serpa with a hacksaw, and smooth the edge with a soldering iron or fine sandpaper, but I'd leave it long. Modifying a Serpa will, after all, void the guarantee...
    I think if i do go with this holster, i will leave it as it is. No need to modify something that isn't in need of modifying.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    34
    Here's a review for a holster that will really stand out when OCing, and will showcase that 1911 really well.

    http://www.weerdworld.com/2010/i-can-has-mail/

    OCing can be made fashionable as well as functional. :-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •