Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Madison OC meet in the works?

  1. #1
    Regular Member xenophon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    316

    Madison OC meet in the works?

    Now seems a prime time to converge on Madison and OC as much as we can around town, before it gets too cold out. (i.e. not letting up, put more pressure there)

    Given the recent events of the Madison 5, when are we going to make this the Madison 500, for example? Anything in the works that can be shared?

  2. #2
    Regular Member BROKENSPROKET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County
    Posts
    2,187
    Seeing that we had well over 50 at Sussex, when it was cold, I think we could easily get 200 in Madison to protest. WCI BOD should decide if this is something 'we' want to actually do and let Hubert blow the battle horn.

    We had 25 in Madison on 9/25/10 at Culvers and State St. and noone took Noble Wray on his request to call them.

  3. #3
    McX
    Guest
    i don't think protests will do us much good. the fed lawsuit is in the works, any madison meets should be just a group of courteous, law abiding citizens, getting together to quietly show how we behave, and what the public can expect from us. i'm into meets, but not wearing flowing robes, and sandals walking the streets with signs saying; the end of your rights is near.

  4. #4
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    i don't think protests will do us much good. the fed lawsuit is in the works, any madison meets should be just a group of courteous, law abiding citizens, getting together to quietly show how we behave, and what the public can expect from us. i'm into meets, but not wearing flowing robes, and sandals walking the streets with signs saying; the end of your rights is near.
    I agree with my fellow 'disturber'.

    I cannot speak for WCI but I think if we do a meet up it shouldn't be a WCI event, we should just do it.

  5. #5
    McX
    Guest
    you never know guys, sure as there is a backlash, there might be a anti-backlash. the cops have said call us and we'll come lean on any open carriers you see. the anti-lash may come across us, and their conversation might be:

    hey, look, open carriers. cops said we should call, you gonna call?

    nah, they're not doing anything, screw the cops, lets go over and talk to them, see what it's all about.


    i am getting word back from some of my friends in madison that the public is with us.

  6. #6
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    i am getting word back from some of my friends in madison that the public is with us.
    If you look at the comments on Chris Rickerts column, it is >50% supportive of us.

  7. #7
    McX
    Guest
    so then, we got to use our noggins and good public behavior to sway the other 50% over.



    added on edit; we got an invite back from culvers. the businesses have seen our events, starbucks and the like, and probably figured out the money that could be made, or missed out on, so to them it's a situation of the cops driving away revenue. look at all the sucessful events we have had, tip jars full to overflowing. you'd have to live under a rock not to know that when the open carriers show up- they bring their wallets with.
    Last edited by McX; 09-28-2010 at 10:39 AM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    so then, we got to use our noggins and good public behavior to sway the other 50% over.
    Exactly! I think the tipping point was the publication of the 911 call. It went from a hysterical woman calling and being frightened to being what really happened, a concerned lady who was not aware OC was legal. As soon as she found that out, she wasn't concerned anymore.

  9. #9
    McX
    Guest
    i'd say the caller Lady has figured out one of our credo's: Don't talk to the cops (heh-heh).
    Last edited by McX; 09-28-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: sentence syntax

  10. #10
    Regular Member TyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    so then, we got to use our noggins and good public behavior to sway the other 50% over.



    added on edit; we got an invite back from culvers. the businesses have seen our events, starbucks and the like, and probably figured out the money that could be made, or missed out on, so to them it's a situation of the cops driving away revenue. look at all the sucessful events we have had, tip jars full to overflowing. you'd have to live under a rock not to know that when the open carriers show up- they bring their wallets with.
    Someone from Culvers contacted WICarry?

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322
    If someone wants to meet in Madison, or really any part of SE WI, I'm up for it.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  12. #12
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    i'd say the caller Lady has figured out one of our credo's: Don't talk to the cops (heh-heh).
    Probably not. My understanding is that she is married to a retired LEO.
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  13. #13
    Regular Member RR_Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Probably not. My understanding is that she is married to a retired LEO.
    I caught that at the picnic in Baraboo as well. Anybody know where this tidbit of information came from? Or a link or something?

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cudahy, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    you never know guys, sure as there is a backlash, there might be a anti-backlash. the cops have said call us and we'll come lean on any open carriers you see. the anti-lash may come across us, and their conversation might be:

    hey, look, open carriers. cops said we should call, you gonna call?

    nah, they're not doing anything, screw the cops, lets go over and talk to them, see what it's all about.


    i am getting word back from some of my friends in madison that the public is with us.
    I agree with you, stay with the flow. I took my wife out to lunch today to Culvers. She then had to pick up goods at St.France pick & save an while we were there I end up in Q&A about Open Carrying an Madison. I Handed out the last of my Fliers with alot of good feelings all around. I've been getting alot of Q&A lately in Cudahy, St. Franices, an South Milwaukee...

  15. #15
    Regular Member IcrewUH60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Verona, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    [...] you'd have to live under a rock not to know that when the open carriers show up- they bring their wallets with.
    ha ha ha, I'll bring cash, but I'm leaving the wallet in the car

  16. #16
    Regular Member IcrewUH60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Verona, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by range rat View Post
    I agree with you, stay with the flow. I took my wife out to lunch today to Culvers. She then had to pick up goods at St.France pick & save an while we were there I end up in Q&A about Open Carrying an Madison. I Handed out the last of my Fliers with alot of good feelings all around. I've been getting alot of Q&A lately in Cudahy, St. Franices, an South Milwaukee...
    Yesterday, I told the night manager at the Culvers in Verona that we (my family and I) were patronizing his establishment that evening in support of OC. While I was not armed, he thanked me anyways.

  17. #17
    Regular Member GlockRDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    north of the Peoples Republic of Madison
    Posts
    626
    Im all for an OC dinner out in Madison...

  18. #18
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    I think if we do a meet up it shouldn't be a WCI event, we should just do it.
    But you know that if anything happens again, the press will make it look like it's a WCI protest. :P

    Maybe we should add to the "know the laws, know your rights" pamphlets something about the WI Supremes saying that silence does not equal obstruction, and something about 'reasonable suspicion' being needed to compel ID.

    I'm up for a jaunt to Madison... when are we getting together?

  19. #19
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    My understanding is that she is married to a retired LEO.
    And he's a life member of the NRA.
    Explains why she wasn't scared, and how she ID'd the guns as semiautomatics.

    (I mailed a note to her saying that now that we've heard the call, it's clear that the police were at fault, & from what I've read even the 5 guys aren't mad at her any more. We've emailed a little bit, & she seems like a very nice, educated, civic-minded person. She's even trying to get the officer who comes to their neighborhood association meetings to talk about OC. I offered to go, too, so there's a more balanced presentation.)

  20. #20
    Regular Member TyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    775
    How about new WICarry shirts with big letters that say "Open carry is legal in Wisconsin" and an arrow pointing down to the hip. Of course we'd need two batches, one for the righties, and one for us lefties.

    jk

  21. #21
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322
    Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    How about new WICarry shirts with big letters that say "Open carry is legal in Wisconsin" and an arrow pointing down to the hip. Of course we'd need two batches, one for the righties, and one for us lefties.

    jk
    Liberal!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  22. #22
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    How about new WICarry shirts with big letters that say "Open carry is legal in Wisconsin" and an arrow pointing down to the hip. Of course we'd need two batches, one for the righties, and one for us lefties.

    jk
    Actually I have considered getting one made. Add 'ask me for detail' and carry the brochures.

  23. #23
    McX
    Guest
    my 3rd oldest came up with a hilarious bumpersticker idea for me the other night (gotta love kids)

    bumpersticker: Ask me about my gun!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •