• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Madison OC meet in the works?

xenophon

Now seems a prime time to converge on Madison and OC as much as we can around town, before it gets too cold out. (i.e. not letting up, put more pressure there)

Given the recent events of the Madison 5, when are we going to make this the Madison 500, for example? Anything in the works that can be shared?

BROKENSPROKET

Seeing that we had well over 50 at Sussex, when it was cold, I think we could easily get 200 in Madison to protest. WCI BOD should decide if this is something 'we' want to actually do and let Hubert blow the battle horn.

We had 25 in Madison on 9/25/10 at Culvers and State St. and noone took Noble Wray on his request to call them.

M

McX

i don't think protests will do us much good. the fed lawsuit is in the works, any madison meets should be just a group of courteous, law abiding citizens, getting together to quietly show how we behave, and what the public can expect from us. i'm into meets, but not wearing flowing robes, and sandals walking the streets with signs saying; the end of your rights is near.

paul@paul-fisher.com

i don't think protests will do us much good. the fed lawsuit is in the works, any madison meets should be just a group of courteous, law abiding citizens, getting together to quietly show how we behave, and what the public can expect from us. i'm into meets, but not wearing flowing robes, and sandals walking the streets with signs saying; the end of your rights is near.

I agree with my fellow 'disturber'.

I cannot speak for WCI but I think if we do a meet up it shouldn't be a WCI event, we should just do it.

M

McX

you never know guys, sure as there is a backlash, there might be a anti-backlash. the cops have said call us and we'll come lean on any open carriers you see. the anti-lash may come across us, and their conversation might be:

hey, look, open carriers. cops said we should call, you gonna call?

nah, they're not doing anything, screw the cops, lets go over and talk to them, see what it's all about.

i am getting word back from some of my friends in madison that the public is with us.

M

McX

so then, we got to use our noggins and good public behavior to sway the other 50% over.

added on edit; we got an invite back from culvers. the businesses have seen our events, starbucks and the like, and probably figured out the money that could be made, or missed out on, so to them it's a situation of the cops driving away revenue. look at all the sucessful events we have had, tip jars full to overflowing. you'd have to live under a rock not to know that when the open carriers show up- they bring their wallets with.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

so then, we got to use our noggins and good public behavior to sway the other 50% over.

Exactly! I think the tipping point was the publication of the 911 call. It went from a hysterical woman calling and being frightened to being what really happened, a concerned lady who was not aware OC was legal. As soon as she found that out, she wasn't concerned anymore.

M

McX

i'd say the caller Lady has figured out one of our credo's: Don't talk to the cops (heh-heh).

Last edited:

TyGuy

added on edit; we got an invite back from culvers. the businesses have seen our events, starbucks and the like, and probably figured out the money that could be made, or missed out on, so to them it's a situation of the cops driving away revenue. look at all the sucessful events we have had, tip jars full to overflowing. you'd have to live under a rock not to know that when the open carriers show up- they bring their wallets with.
Someone from Culvers contacted WICarry?

RR_Broccoli

Probably not. My understanding is that she is married to a retired LEO.

I caught that at the picnic in Baraboo as well. Anybody know where this tidbit of information came from? Or a link or something?

range rat

you never know guys, sure as there is a backlash, there might be a anti-backlash. the cops have said call us and we'll come lean on any open carriers you see. the anti-lash may come across us, and their conversation might be:

hey, look, open carriers. cops said we should call, you gonna call?

nah, they're not doing anything, screw the cops, lets go over and talk to them, see what it's all about.

i am getting word back from some of my friends in madison that the public is with us.

I agree with you, stay with the flow. I took my wife out to lunch today to Culvers. She then had to pick up goods at St.France pick & save an while we were there I end up in Q&A about Open Carrying an Madison. I Handed out the last of my Fliers with alot of good feelings all around. I've been getting alot of Q&A lately in Cudahy, St. Franices, an South Milwaukee...

IcrewUH60

I agree with you, stay with the flow. I took my wife out to lunch today to Culvers. She then had to pick up goods at St.France pick & save an while we were there I end up in Q&A about Open Carrying an Madison. I Handed out the last of my Fliers with alot of good feelings all around. I've been getting alot of Q&A lately in Cudahy, St. Franices, an South Milwaukee...

Yesterday, I told the night manager at the Culvers in Verona that we (my family and I) were patronizing his establishment that evening in support of OC. While I was not armed, he thanked me anyways.

MKEgal

I think if we do a meet up it shouldn't be a WCI event, we should just do it.

But you know that if anything happens again, the press will make it look like it's a WCI protest. :p

Maybe we should add to the "know the laws, know your rights" pamphlets something about the WI Supremes saying that silence does not equal obstruction, and something about 'reasonable suspicion' being needed to compel ID.

I'm up for a jaunt to Madison... when are we getting together?

MKEgal

My understanding is that she is married to a retired LEO.

And he's a life member of the NRA.
Explains why she wasn't scared, and how she ID'd the guns as semiautomatics. :D

(I mailed a note to her saying that now that we've heard the call, it's clear that the police were at fault, & from what I've read even the 5 guys aren't mad at her any more. We've emailed a little bit, & she seems like a very nice, educated, civic-minded person. She's even trying to get the officer who comes to their neighborhood association meetings to talk about OC. I offered to go, too, so there's a more balanced presentation.)

TyGuy

How about new WICarry shirts with big letters that say "Open carry is legal in Wisconsin" and an arrow pointing down to the hip. Of course we'd need two batches, one for the righties, and one for us lefties.

jk