• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

News-Record story, 2 suspects shot dead by Pizza Hut worker

spinner

This could have gone very bad for the workers if he had not had a gun. 2 robbery suspects shot dead by Pizza Hut worker in Charlotte
Tuesday, September 28, 2010
(Updated 8:36 am)
By The Associated Press

CHARLOTTE (AP) — Police say a North Carolina pizza restaurant worker being herded toward a cooler pulled a gun and shot and killed two robbers.

Multiple media outlets reported Tuesday that police were searching for a third man who got away from an east Charlotte Pizza Hut restaurant.

Authorities say the robbers burst through the restaurant's front door late Monday as two workers were cleaning up in the back.

Investigators say the suspects ordered the two employees into a walk-in cooler, then started beating one of the men. The other employee pulled a handgun and opened fire.

Police say they found two handguns near the dead suspects. Their names have not been released.

No charges have been filed against the armed employee.

farkles

AWESOME...love a good story like this where the good guys win. Sad the two employees had to go through this, but glad the criminals will no longer waste our oxygen supply

rotty

NOW .. I would like to see Pizza Hut do the right thing and issue a press release stating that the employee was in the right to protect himself and other employees.

Good guys- 1
Bad guys- 6 feet under

rotty

No chance. Pizza Hut has a no firearms policy that extends to all its employees. This boy will need to fire up his resume. Corporate America
is a blind whore.

I wonder how those execs would feel being marched at gunpoint to a almost certain horrible violent death. They should really handle this differently considering the mental state of alot of people and just do what is friggen right.

muccione

My local Pizza Hut sell beer... Im glad the good guy won this one but he "was" breaking the law.. I hope he stays out of trouble...

buzzsaw

In NC we are not permitted to carry as a customer in an establishment that provides alcohol for sale and consumption but employee's/ owners etc are allowed to carry (with permission of the management). As was said above, it is my understanding that in the case of the company involved in this case, corporate policy is to prohibit any weapons in the possession of employees.

Smith45acp

In NC we are not permitted to carry as a customer in an establishment that provides alcohol for sale and consumption but employee's/ owners etc are allowed to carry (with permission of the management). As was said above, it is my understanding that in the case of the company involved in this case, corporate policy is to prohibit any weapons in the possession of employees.

This is only conjecture, but I would think the worst thing that could happen to an employee breaking the firearms policy would be termination of employment. I doubt he or she could be successfully prosecuted for trespassing like a customer could be.

sultan62

This is only conjecture, but I would think the worst thing that could happen to an employee breaking the firearms policy would be termination of employment. I doubt he or she could be successfully prosecuted for trespassing like a customer could be.

So would I, but I seem to recall a case recently in which a man who was concealing illegally used his weapon to kill a man holding up a pharmacy. I don't recall the specific location of this case, but he was charged with illegal concealment.

American Patriot

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/09/28/1723694/2-men-shot-dead-in-robbery.html

A spokesman for Dallas-based Pizza Hut could not be reached, but according to numerous published reports, Pizza Hut’s corporate policy forbids employees from having firearms while on the job.

A Pizza Hut employee in Columbia resigned last year after police said he shot and killed a robbery suspect. The employee resigned, according to Pizza Hut spokesman Chris Fuller, because of the company’s policy forbidding employees from carrying firearms.

In one well-publicized May 2004 case, a Pizza Hut employee in Carmel, Ind., was fired after he shot and killed a would-be robber. And in 2008, a Pizza Hut worker in Des Moines, Iowa, lost his job after shooting and wounding a robbery suspect. Both of those Pizza Hut employees were delivery drivers.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/09/28/1723694/2-men-shot-dead-in-robbery.html#ixzz10qlAvfX9

rotorhead

All in all, I'll trade a charge for an illegal carry for being beat up and possibly killed any day.

Maverick9110e

No luck on finding any emails for corporate just a form to fill out on their website. I know their a subsidary of YUM! brands...

I filled out the form though...

As a Toys R Us shopper and law abiding firearms carrier, I was very disappointed to see that your stores do not allow your employees to carry a firearm in law abiding states. I'm sure you are aware of the recent incident with one of your stores in Charolotte where an employee protected another citizen and his own life with a firearm. There is no way that not allowing employees to ability to exercise their right they are any safer. Until this policy is remanded i will no longer patronize any of your brands and will go to great lengths to encourages others as well. I am a member of several online communities all with similar view points. I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you further then the 1,000 character limit in this form letter. Please feel free to contact me at the email address listed below.

Sincerely,
ME

Dreamer

Thank god that this employee ignored Pizza Hut's stupid policy, and paid no attention to NCs outdated, racist, Jim Crow "Restaurant Ban" statute. Had he been following the policies of his employer and the laws of the State of NC, this story would likely had a MUCH different ending, with a LOT of innocent people paying the ultimate price.

As it is, two violent, armed felons have gone on to their Just Reward, and a third will think long and hard before he holds up another pizza joint...

But I imagine it's pretty much a sure thing that this employee will be rewarded for his bravery and personal responsibility by being fired by Pizza Hut, and it wouldn't be surprising if Mecklenberg County's DA charges him with "illegally carrying in an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on premise."

In today's society, no good deed goes unpunished...

But at least this CCer lived to tell the tale, and the guy is a HERO in my eyes.

To my way of thinking, he deserves a freaking medal...
:banana::banana::banana:

spinner

The sheriff seem's to be pro gun & carry and that's fine and well, but he took an oath to preserve and to protect the Constitution. Has he read it? If he has I like for him to point out the section in the " BILL OF RIGHT'S " or in the 2'nd Amendment, specifically the " RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS " were it say's carrying a gun is a privileged. What an idiotic thing to say. I hope he doesn't really feel that way and he just misspoke at the spur of the moment. All in all though this is why people dont get mad when there RIGHT'S are taken away, cause there trained to think the government give's them privileges, not they they already have these right's. :banghead: Just remember this 1 thing please. The 1 and only LORD GOD gave you all your rights and every thing you have as a human being not the government, the government can't give you anything you do not already own. The government will take away your rights and whats yours, with a smile and try to make you feel good about giving it to them. Our founding fathers would cry, then kill all of the politician's that are in "power" now for treason for what they are doing to the county they fought and died for. GOD BLESS US ALL!

REDFIVE48

Not to get into an argument, just trying to point out that I believe when the Sheriff was talking about the privilege, the context of the comment was around concealed carry permits, which are classified as a privilege (rightly or wrongly) currently by the laws permitting them since the NC Constitution does not grant that right

"Sec. 30. Militia and the right to bear arms.
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; and, as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they shall not be maintained, and the military shall be kept under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power. Nothing herein shall justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons, or prevent the General Assembly from enacting penal statutes against that practice."