• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

News-Record story, 2 suspects shot dead by Pizza Hut worker

spinner

redfive48, This is what I read when it comes to my individual right's. Amendment II of the CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA says " A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the ( RIGHT ) of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." And if that's not good enough, the Two Supreme Court rulings, District of Columbia v. Heller (2008) and McDonald v. Chicago (2010), clarified the meaning of the Second Amendment. In Heller, the Court ruled that the Second Amendment protects an individual's ( RIGHT ) to possess a firearm (unconnected to service in a militia) and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Additionally, the Court enumerated several longstanding prohibitions and restrictions on firearms possession that it found were consistent with the Second Amendment.[3] In McDonald, the Court determined that the Second Amendment limits state and local governmental authority to the same extent that it limits federal authority.

smlawrence

The only upside to this is that crime becomes so prevalent around these locations that people begin to pay attention. Case in point: my wife was mugged at Wal-Mart last January. She now carries her S&W on her instead of in the car.

I hope the damage from her mugging was minimal and am glad to hear she is carrying now. Don't know where you live but if it is a small town like the one we live in, just the reputation will help. My wife has had her CCP for 15 years and carried years before that, and anyone who knows her or has met her knows she carries and is d*mn good with it and that alone can prevent alot. Its sad that it has to be that way, shame people can't just live their life not having to worry about being mugged or killed.

REDFIVE48

redfive48, This is what I read when it comes to my individual right's. Amendment II of the CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA says " A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the ( RIGHT ) of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." And if that's not good enough, the Two Supreme Court rulings, District of Columbia v. Heller (2008) and McDonald v. Chicago (2010), clarified the meaning of the Second Amendment. In Heller, the Court ruled that the Second Amendment protects an individual's ( RIGHT ) to possess a firearm (unconnected to service in a militia) and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Additionally, the Court enumerated several longstanding prohibitions and restrictions on firearms possession that it found were consistent with the Second Amendment.[3] In McDonald, the Court determined that the Second Amendment limits state and local governmental authority to the same extent that it limits federal authority.

All I was saying was the sheriff was talking in the context of concealed weapons permits when he mentioned privilege. Unfortunately, the NC state constitution makes concealed carry a crime (right removed) without the permit. I don't know the sheriff and his policies, only saw the news clip, and nothing from that hinted at the fact he was not upholding the constitution, but if you got that from the clip, so be it.

spinner

All I was saying was the sheriff was talking in the context of concealed weapons permits when he mentioned privilege. Unfortunately, the NC state constitution makes concealed carry a crime (right removed) without the permit. I don't know the sheriff and his policies, only saw the news clip, and nothing from that hinted at the fact he was not upholding the constitution, but if you got that from the clip, so be it.

That's OK, I wasn't arguing. It's just when I hear any Govt. official tell me about my "privileges" it makes me crazy because they have to take away something from someone first before they can give it back to you. Just remember this 1 thing please. The 1 and only LORD GOD gave you all your rights and every thing you have as a human being not the government, the government can't give you anything you do not already own. The government will take away your rights and whats yours, with a smile and try to make you feel good about giving it to them. Our founding fathers would cry, then kill all of the politician's that are in "power" now for treason for what they are doing to the county they fought and died for. GOD BLESS US ALL!

spinner

Just one more thought about this "On every question of construction carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed." --Thomas Jefferson to William Johnson, 1823. ME 15:449