• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

News-Record story, Illeagal gun's in NC.

spinner

Once the Mayors Against Illegal Guns, and the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives, get involved, and they have a story like this, say goodbye to some of your gun right's. N.C. a top 10 gun supplier for crimes elsewhere
Tuesday, September 28, 2010
(Updated 6:55 am)
By Ryan Seals
Staff Writer
Accompanying Photos
[Image accompanying article]
Margaret Baxter (News & Record)

North Carolina is among the top 10 states for guns sold here and used in crimes elsewhere, according to a report from a national group of mayors.

The state placed No. 8 for the most guns originally sold here but used in a crime and recovered elsewhere, according to a study by Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

The study, based on 2009 statistics provided by the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives, showed that 10 states accounted for nearly 21,000 guns or almost 49 percent of guns connected to crimes in other states.

The study found top-tier states for gun exports were found to have the most lenient gun control laws, suggesting “criminals and gun traffickers may favor certain states as the sources of guns.”

The bureau traced more than 145,000 guns used in crimes in 2009.

Of those, more than 43,000 of the weapons were originally sold in another state.

North Carolina accounted for 1,775 of the guns. Georgia was first on the list with 2,781 exported guns.

States were also ranked by the number of crime guns exported per 100,000 residents. North Carolina exported 18.9 crime guns per 100,000 people, ranking No. 20 overall, slightly above the national average of 14.1 guns exported per 100,000 residents.

Laws found to be effective elsewhere but not in place in North Carolina include:

* Enabling local prosecution and jail time for people who falsify information on gun background checks
* Granting local law enforcement discretion to deny concealed carry permits; prohibiting gun possession for some serious misdemeanors
* Requiring lost or stolen guns to be reported to law enforcement
* Local control of gun regulations.

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence released a report earlier this year that also analyzed North Carolina and found the state to have weak laws to stop gun trafficking.

The report gave the state low marks in a 2009 test rating of the strength of gun laws.

“Since North Carolina does not require (a federal) criminal background checks on all firearm sales, including those at gun shows, gun traffickers don’t need to leave the state to funnel illegal guns to felons and gang members,” said Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign, in a February news release on that group’s study.

“North Carolina officials have done nothing in the past year to stop the flow of illegal guns within the state, including strengthening laws that allow dangerous people to walk into gun shows and buy guns, like AK-47s, without background checks.”

Contact Ryan Seals at 373-7077 or ryan.seals@news-record.com

sultan62

“Since North Carolina does not require (a federal) criminal background checks on all firearm sales, including those at gun shows, gun traffickers don’t need to leave the state to funnel illegal guns to felons and gang members,” said Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign, in a February news release on that group’s study.

Not that I think it should be necessary for handguns either, but you notice how he doesn't mention that handguns still require a federal background check?

Ass.:mad:

Dreamer

Of those 1,775 guns originally sold in NC which were found to be used in crimes in other states, how many of them were stolen from people's automobiles, because NC REQUIRES us to leave them there when we go into restaurants, banks, movie theaters, and other silly "prohibited places"?

I find it a little difficult to believe that ANYONE who has even a tiny bit of knowledge of how the pistol purchase process works in NC would think NC is a big venue for "straw purchases" or that criminals are somehow buying guns legally through dealers. Our "Pistol Purchase Permit" program is such a tedious, racist, Jim Crow infringement that it's an insult to any law-abiding citizen to deal with.

And I find it hard to believe that there are felons getting around the PPP program because they have valid NC CHPs. Our Sheriffs are pretty thorough with their background checks, and I don't think there are a lot of violent criminals willing to get fingerprinted and databased just to get around the PPP...

This MAIG report is pure BS.

I call Shenanigans on MAIG.

Most of those guns are stolen, I'd wager, and NO amount of further infringement on the purchase process or ownership restrictions for law-abiding citizens are going to fix that. If the MAIG and BATFE want to fix the "illegal firearms" issue in NC, they need top pressure the State to abolish all the restrictions we have on lawful OC and CC, so we don't have to leave our lawfully-owned firearms in our cars--where criminals have access to them as easy pickings...

chiefjason

With all the smoke and mirrors did anyone notice that more than half the guns used in crimes came from the home state? Actually, closer to 3/4.

145,000 traces
43,000 sold in another state
102,000 sold in the state the crime was committed in.

Check the plank in your own eye first.

Racer X

Also, if you add up the populations of all 10 states you will find that around half of the total US population lives in these 10 states. So half the guns come from half the population...who'd a thunk it?

papa bear

i don't know about you guys , but i have never seen any illegal guns move within the state. are they from mexico? what does an illeagal gun look like anyways? are they talking about zip guns? :confused:

cricketdad

i don't know about you guys , but i have never seen any illegal guns move within the state. are they from mexico? what does an illeagal gun look like anyways? are they talking about zip guns? :confused:

The last one I saw was a single shot 12ga with a 10 inch barrel.

My AK was illegal when it went full auto. Found a spring installed wrong.

Probably what is being talked about are straw purchases.

Dreamer

Dreamer

Clemmons, Raleigh, Durham, Greenville...

What do all these cities have in common?

Some of the highest violent crime rates in the state.

'nuff sed...