• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Times News Story, man shot dead during target practice.

spinner

SAFETY, SAFETY,SAFETY. (Even though though something sound's odd about this situation). Target practice behind Whitsett home turns deadly
Comments 5
September 27, 2010 3:40 PM
Times-News

A Lexington man died after being hit with a gun shot while taking target practice at around 4:30 p.m. Saturday with a friend at a home in Whitsett.

The Guilford County Sheriff’s Office said in a press release Monday that the victim, James Andrew Graham, of Cornerstone Road, Lexington, was with his friend Charles Raymond Farlow, of 4008 Old Julian Road, Whitsett, practicing at a makeshift range behind the residence at 3364 Old Julian Road, Whitsett.

According to statements made to deputies, Farlow was shooting at a target when Graham accidentally fell into the line of fire and was struck. Graham was transported to Moses Cone Hospital in Greensboro where he later died. An autopsy is being performed today.

The Sheriff’s Office is still investigating the shooting as if it is suspicious but evidence currently indicates that it was accidental.

Dreamer

S--T happens

No, no, no!!!

NEGLIGENCE happens, but it doesn't have to...

I hope all you guys who were at the "Range Day" out at "Smith45acp"'s place recently now understand why I get sort of cranky about range safety. Everyone observed good gun-handling protocol during that event (I only had to say something ONCE, and it turned out to be a non-issue once th efirearm was inspected), but it's events like the one mentioned above that prove SAFETY is the MOST IMPORTANT thing on a live range.

When someone is "downrange" (like when we were running the move-and-shoot course) NOBODY should be handling a loaded firearm. All guns should be holstered, or handled UNLOADED with the action OPEN. I know I may have been a bit of a grumpy a-hole with regards to proper firearms handling on a live range, but I'd rather hurt someone's feelings than have a tragic ND resulting in injury or worse. Feelings will heal in a few minutes. Gunshot wounds are forever...

We don't need ANY issues on the range. NO amount of "fun" is worth taking a risk on the range. It's OK to handle a gun in such situations. Its OK to look at someone else's gun. But we need to be ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that all the "uprange" firearms are TOTALLY and ABSOLUTELY clear and empty when someone is downrange.

Like I said, everyone was pretty mindful at the Range Day, but when folks are excited, and interested in handling firearms, and talking and relaxed, sometimes VERY BAD things may happen if we don't follow the basic rules., as is evidenced by the above-mentioned story.

Next "Range Day", I'll gladly volunteer to be RSO if we think such a thing is needed, but if I'm going to take that responsibility, expect me to be a little edgy and maybe a little more pro-active (and less polite) about safety than I was at the last Range Day.

Tragedies like the one mentioned above should teach us all a lesson--You can't be too safe on the range...

We all want to go home at the end of the day.

Be safe, folks...

smlawrence

No, no, no!!!

NEGLIGENCE happens, but it doesn't have to...

I hope all you guys who were at the "Range Day" out at "Smith45acp"'s place recently now understand why I get sort of cranky about range safety. Everyone observed good gun-handling protocol during that event (I only had to say something ONCE, and it turned out to be a non-issue once th efirearm was inspected), but it's events like the one mentioned above that prove SAFETY is the MOST IMPORTANT thing on a live range.

When someone is "downrange" (like when we were running the move-and-shoot course) NOBODY should be handling a loaded firearm. All guns should be holstered, or handled UNLOADED with the action OPEN. I know I may have been a bit of a grumpy a-hole with regards to proper firearms handling on a live range, but I'd rather hurt someone's feelings than have a tragic ND resulting in injury or worse. Feelings will heal in a few minutes. Gunshot wounds are forever...

We don't need ANY issues on the range. NO amount of "fun" is worth taking a risk on the range. It's OK to handle a gun in such situations. Its OK to look at someone else's gun. But we need to be ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that all the "uprange" firearms are TOTALLY and ABSOLUTELY clear and empty when someone is downrange.

Like I said, everyone was pretty mindful at the Range Day, but when folks are excited, and interested in handling firearms, and talking and relaxed, sometimes VERY BAD things may happen if we don't follow the basic rules., as is evidenced by the above-mentioned story.

Next "Range Day", I'll gladly volunteer to be RSO if we think such a thing is needed, but if I'm going to take that responsibility, expect me to be a little edgy and maybe a little more pro-active (and less polite) about safety than I was at the last Range Day.

Tragedies like the one mentioned above should teach us all a lesson--You can't be too safe on the range...

We all want to go home at the end of the day.

Be safe, folks...

+1