• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where can I NOT carry?

MaineOCDad

Hi All,

I remain confused on locations where I cannot carry my pistol. I choose to open carry though I do have a CCW permit in Maine. I have the CCW permit so I can carry my gun loaded in my car. There are four areas, at which, I would like to confirm whether I can carry or not legally.

1. Currently I work as a consultant for the State of Maine. Can I legally leave my gun in my car in the parking lot of a state facility?

2. High School - I teach a Judo class twice a week at a local high school. Can I legally leave my gun in the car in the parking lot of a school?

3. Post Office - This one I read conflicting information on. Can I carry while in a Post Office? What about leaving it in the car which is in a Post Office parking lot?

4. Bank - This is one of the areas where I think my gun is most needed. When carrying my money in or out of a bank.

If anyone has any links to RSA's covering these areas I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Hightower207

An Spidéal, Co. Galway/Stuck in Maine, Maine, USA
1)For the State Facility, do you mean in Augusta, if so probably not.. Below is a link to Handgunlaws.us that lists areas around the Capital Area.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maine.pdf

2) if the lot is specifically on School Property then no. If it is on a City Street i believe you could be in the clear(But don't quote me, i'm not a lawyer)

3) If you are in the Post Office or the Parking Lot of a Post Office that is Federal Property.

4) You can carry in a bank.

All- if i am wrong on this please Correct me.

MaineOCDad

Yipe!

Yes, the state facility is in Augusta though it is not a court building. It is just a state agency. If I cannot keep the gun in my car then there is no way I can carry my gun at all which makes no sense at all.

MaineOCDad

Perhaps only applies to "Court" facilities

In looking at the PDF from handgunlaw.us (thanks for the link). It looks like the ban applies to "Court" buildings. Detail below ...

"All persons are prohibited from entering any court facility, including any courtroom, or any other area or building within the control or supervision of the Maine Judicial Branch, if armed with a firearm, other dangerous weapon or while in possession of a disabling chemical. (Administrative Order JB-05-9)".

boyscout399

Hi All,

I remain confused on locations where I cannot carry my pistol. I choose to open carry though I do have a CCW permit in Maine. I have the CCW permit so I can carry my gun loaded in my car. There are four areas, at which, I would like to confirm whether I can carry or not legally.

1. Currently I work as a consultant for the State of Maine. Can I legally leave my gun in my car in the parking lot of a state facility?

2. High School - I teach a Judo class twice a week at a local high school. Can I legally leave my gun in the car in the parking lot of a school?

3. Post Office - This one I read conflicting information on. Can I carry while in a Post Office? What about leaving it in the car which is in a Post Office parking lot?

4. Bank - This is one of the areas where I think my gun is most needed. When carrying my money in or out of a bank.

If anyone has any links to RSA's covering these areas I would appreciate it. Thanks.

1. State Property in Augusta is covered by an Administrative rule and is off limits for carrying, though I have questioned the rule's enforceability, and I'm not sure what charge you would be faced with for breaking a rule not a law.

2. High School - Title 20 Sec 6552 Says no firearms on school property. Must park off school property.

3. Post Office - There is an exception for "any lawful purpose" to the federal law banning firearms from Federal Property. However the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in United States of America v. CLARENCE PAUL DOROSAN ruled that exercising your second amendment right does not fall under that "any lawful purpose" exception.

4. Bank - Banks are private property. If they post a sign saying no firearms, then they are not allowed. If they ask you to leave, you must comply or be faced with trespassing. Having said that, I have never seen a no firearms sign on a Maine bank, and I have never been asked to leave while carrying openly in any bank in Maine.

Maine CWP Training

16 SQUARE MILES IN AUGUSTA IN STRUCTURES OWNED, LEASED OR RENTED BY THE STATE OF MAINE (CAPITOL PREMISES) BUREAU OF CAPITOL SECURITY RULE

US POST OFFICES AND THEIR PARKING LOTS

PUBLIC SCHOOLS; STATUTE AND UNIVERSITIES STATUTE

LOCATIONS WHERE THERE IS A LABOR DISPUTE / PICKET LINE STATUTE

STATE PARKS FROM MAY ~ SEPTEMBER RULE ; ACADIA NATIONAL PARK OK WITH C. F. PERMIT

STATE AND FEDERAL COURTS STATUTE ; JAILS OR PRISONS

FEDERAL “FACILITIES” -- BUILDINGS OR PORTIONS OF BUILDINGS LEASED OR OCCUPIED BY THEM; STATUTE

BARS WHERE NOTICE IS GIVEN BY OWNER ~ NO FIREARMS. OTHERS, DO NOT EXCEED .08 BAC ~ NOT RECOMMENDED; STATUTE

SECURE AREAS OF AIRPORTS; TSA LINK

AS LIMITED BY CONDITION OF BAIL, PFA OR CEASE-HARASSMENT ORDER AGAINST YOU

PREMISES WHERE SLOT MACHINES ARE PRESENT (INCLUDES WEAPONS) RULE GO TO GAMBLING CONTROL BOARD; Ch. 16 633 GAMBLING CONTROL BOARD

CHILD CARE FACILITIES, FOSTER HOMES, NURSERY SCHOOLS; UNLESS APPROVED BYDHHS (MANDATORY RULE - ENFORCEMENT MECHANISM \ QUESTIONABLE) (FIREARM,CHEMICAL WEAPON, SHOCKING DEVICE OR BLADED INSTRUMENT)

IN A MOTOR VEHICLE ON SUNDAY, FIREARM (OTHER THAN A PISTOL WITH PERMIT) UNLESS CASED OR DISASSEMBLED (MAG REMOVAL DOES NOT COUNT)

LOADED FIREARM (OTHER THAN A PISTOL WITH PERMIT) IN A MOTOR VEHICLE

DEBATED – CASED FIREARM IN AN OBVIOUS GUN CASE, ABSENT A PERMIT

DEBATED – FIREARM CONCEALED BUT NOT ON ONE’S PERSON

CERTAIN GAME PRESERVES – ANY LOADED FIREARM

NOTE: HOTELS AND INNKEEPERS & CAMPGROUNDS MAY REFUSE SERVICE TO THOSE POSSESSING FIREARMS;STATUTE

(DEBATED) THE AUGUSTA STATE AIRPORT (EXCEPT CASED FIREARMS FOR AIR SHIPMENT)

WHEN ACCOMPANYING A YOUTH HUNTER ON YOUTH DAY

UNLESS PERMITTED BY APPROVED (BY DHS) RULE AT RESIDENTIAL CHILD CARE FACILITIES (EVEN LICENSED SECURITY CANNOT CARRY)

SHELTERS FOR HOMELESS CHILDREN (MANDATORY RULE - ENFORCEMENT MECHANISM \ QUESTIONABLE) (FIREARM, CHEMICAL WEAPON, SHOCKING DEVICE OR BLADED INSTRUMENT)

$10 subscription is available on our Home Page for: NO CARRY ZONES, IMPORTANT LINKS, JUSTIFICATION WHEN A PRIVATE CITIZEN MAY USE DEADLY FORCE.