• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man Violates Gun Ban Policy at UT in Austin TX

eye95

Was it really an "automatic"? Or, is this another case of lazy reporting?

Anyway, once again, the only armed person in a gun-free zone is the one with nefarious intentions.

aadvark

eye95:

It is within my belief that 'Automatic [Firearm]' is just a Case of lazy Media Reporting, in the most anti-Firearm Rhetoric possible that they have.

aadvark

nobama

I think the word "automatic" is the result of such ignorance that these people dont know which end of the gun to hold. I once heard a reporter talk about a "rifle" but it was clearly a shotgun. What dumbasses!!!

sonoran_Tj

Current UT student here.

I personally did not hear/see anything because I was in my dorm room during all of this. A local radio station was interviewing witnesses and had the man who made the first 911 call was on. Several callers agreed that they heard bursts of fully automatic fire and that the gunman was seen with an AK47. The police later confirmed the gun was an AK47 but did not comment on whether or not is was fully automatic. The news reporters just said "automatic weapon" or "assault rifle". I'd say its still up for speculation but was most likely semi-automatic.

p.s. Texas voters, please encourage your representative to return the right to defend ourselves on campus to me and others.

Jack House

Perhaps a bit ironically, a man was killed at UT today while trying to install a burglar alarm. He was up on some high scaffolding and fell off. Supposedly it happened while all the craziness was going on. Don't know if he was spooked by the shooting or if it happened after that or what. The man was one of my cousins or something. My grandmothers were telling me about it. You know how old women are. We had a five minute argument over which UT it was. :rolleyes:

OldCurlyWolf

I think the word "automatic" is the result of such ignorance that these people dont know which end of the gun to hold. I once heard a reporter talk about a "rifle" but it was clearly a shotgun. What dumbasses!!!

You have to put it into perspective. This was an Austin reporter. With the exception of transplants, Legislators and College Students, Austin is Texas' version of Liberal Yankee land. Most of the reporters would faint if they actually touched a firearm. And fill their :shocker:drawers if they heard one fired.:banghead:

Jack House

You have to put it into perspective. This was an Austin reporter. With the exception of transplants, Legislators and College Students, Austin is Texas' version of Liberal Yankee land. Most of the reporters would faint if they actually touched a firearm. And fill their :shocker:drawers if they heard one fired.:banghead:
I'd say that it's the transplants and college students that made Austin the liberal cess pool that it is today.

Get out my state, Kommifornians!
0044.gif

GWbiker

When it comes to firearms I have noticed that most reporters use the following as a guide.......

Attachments

• journalist_guns_2.jpg
    journalist_guns_2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 205

OldCurlyWolf

I'd say that it's the transplants and college students that made Austin the liberal cess pool that it is today.

Get out my state, Kommifornians!
0044.gif

Actually it is the College Professors that indoctrinated the students that stayed in Austin after graduation that is the causal root of the left wing mindset of the town as a whole.

While there are a modicum of left wing politicians in Austin, the majority are not at this time and I would suspect that at least 50% of the entering freshman class each year would not be classified as liberal, considering that that number is probably the number that come from small town/rural Texas.

So your opinion would be unfounded. It is more substantially the Professors via Former students who are still in Austin.

Jack House

The profs would be transplants as well. Most rural folk can't afford UT Austin and usually go to colleges like A&M anyway. UT costs a ridiculous amount. Most of the UT students are out of staters and the like. I lived in Austin, Austin is my home town and had several friends that go/went to UT.

I said nothing about the politicians in Austin. They're largely just a reflection of the voters of their respective districts.

OldCurlyWolf

Not until he went into a building, if he wasn't a student or didn't work there. If he was a student or employee, he was in violation the second he stepped onto the campus.

GO FIGURE the UT Reagents. Just as stupid as the reagents of most universities.

OldCurlyWolf

The profs would be transplants as well. Most rural folk can't afford UT Austin and usually go to colleges like A&M anyway. UT costs a ridiculous amount. Most of the UT students are out of staters and the like. I lived in Austin, Austin is my home town and had several friends that go/went to UT.

I said nothing about the politicians in Austin. They're largely just a reflection of the voters of their respective districts.
A&M is the same basic cost as UT. If you want to see expensive, check out Rice, Baylor, SMU, etc..

eye95

That does not mean that they are not criminals (sans quotation marks). All criminals believe they have good reason to break the law. I prefer that we individually do not get to choose which laws to follow and which to break.

I fully agree with the policy on this site that we should not be encouraging folks to break the law. The purpose of OCDO is to promote lawful OC.

sonoran_Tj

Most rural folk can't afford UT Austin and usually go to colleges like A&M anyway. UT costs a ridiculous amount. Most of the UT students are out of staters and the like.

My guess is most rural students go to A&M because its the A&M school.

UT doesn't cost a ridiculous amount for in state tuition, however non-resident tuition is very high.

Actually, the vast majority of UT Austin students are residents of Texas. According to UT, the freshman class this year was 8% non-resident, 4% foreign, and an overwhelming 88% resident.
cite for statistics:
http://www.utexas.edu/student/admissions/research/EnrolledFreshmenProfile-2010.pdf