• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting florida

rudedude

Hi I am a Michigan Resident with a valid Michigan Concealed Pistol License. I will be visiting Florida next month and am curious of the OC and CCW laws of the State. Could someone enlighten me of the OC and CC laws of Florida.

Thanks

JeepSeller

First of all, wise to research the laws of another state you're visiting.

It appears Florida has a reciprocity agreement with Michigan, so, your pistol license is honored here in Florida.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

Florida is pretty easy. First of all, OC? Skip it. Florida is NOT an OC state. OC is allowed, but, in a very limited, highly restricted mode. Fishing, camping, hunting, and going in between fishing, hunting, and camping. That's it. NO OC otherwise. And, even though it does state "going between camping, fishing, etc" I'd be wary of stopping between the house and your fishing hole while OCing. I'm not sure anyone has been the "test" case on that one yet.

Otherwise, unless it's on the prohibited list, Concealed Carry is legal. And, our prohibited list is dog-gone short. No post offices, Federal buildings, schools, police stations, sporting events, places of nuisance, and bars.is pretty much it. (NOTE: you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Just don't sit in the actual bar. What is considered the "bar area" is under considerable debate. Some believe it's only the actual bar itself where alcoholic drinks are dispensed, others feel it's the sectioned off, separate bar area. Use your own discretion.)

Otherwise, you're legal. A "no guns" sign is meaningless, other than to inform you that the private property owner wishes for no guns. Meaning, if they find out you ignored their beloved sign, they can ask you to leave. But, carrying there is not against the law, and if you're even halfway decent at concealing, how will they know anyway?

If you see a city/county park sign stating "no firearms", it's illegal. State preemption stuff. basically, state law trumps city/county rules.

Enjoy your trip and be safe.

For your light reading enjoyment.....FL's statutes on carrying.... Pay particular attention to 790.001, 790.01, 790.06, and since you ask about OC, 790.053

I HIGHLY suggest you check them out and NEVER take the word of someone of the internet when it concerns your safety and your freedom. Always check for yourself, that's why I always try to provide the pertinent links to statutes. If you get popped for breaking the law, I'm guessing that stateing "JeepSeller said it was OK", probably won't fly very far. ROFL

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/in...ml&StatuteYear=2010&Title=->2010->Chapter 790

Last edited: