• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shots Fired in Library

Whitney

SaintJacque

http://abcnews.go.com/US/shots-fired-university-texas-austin-cops-hunt-gunman/story?id=11744405
Gunman at University of Texas Austin Takes Own Life, Lockdown Lifted

I suspect this would have ended differently if a student or faculty member was packing.
Incidently does anyone else see a correlation between more reporting on shootings of this type and "wins" for gun rights?

-Whitney

Yes, I think it would have ended differently as well. But from what I've read it looks like he didn't manage to shoot anyone but himself. What is with people wielding AK-47s not being able to hit anything? Well, thank God for bad shots.

oldkim

You can get literally anything...

Where on earth did he get a fully automatic AK-47 (according to the AP)? They aren't exactly common in the US.​

I guess you don't have the right contacts nor the money.... You can get almost anything if you have enough money to throw at getting it.

amzbrady
Seattle public library has a no gun policy? Must be a private library huh?​

It's "their policy" but not the law here in Washington. Although I guess they can hassle you so much to make it not worth while. I believe there is another thread on OC in a library. I'm speaking from a conceal carry standpoint with a CPL. Unless it's in a federal building...

heresolong

Although I guess they can hassle you so much to make it not worth while.

They hassle you too much and it becomes a civil rights violation. I've never had any problems at all at any of the Whatcom County libraries but almost makes me wish I lived in the Seattle area so I could go there.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
http://abcnews.go.com/US/shots-fired-university-texas-austin-cops-hunt-gunman/story?id=11744405
Gunman at University of Texas Austin Takes Own Life, Lockdown Lifted

I suspect this would have ended differently if a student or faculty member was packing.
Incidently does anyone else see a correlation between more reporting on shootings of this type and "wins" for gun rights?

-Whitney

We all I feel, we may or could have made a difference in any shooting if we or another just happen to be there in a position to act.

Yes, the outcome could have changed but it is not to say for the better.

Several shots were fired, hitting no one, he then left to the library and committed suicide.
Likely the entire shooing lasted only for a few seconds and he left, with little time to respond who knows if someone did engage him, he may have stayed longer and fired more shots maybe hitting someone? No way to tell.

Thankfully it was over with and the only one that paid the price was the shooter.

I still wish legally armed citizens to have that choice, as we know, you will never know when you may need to defend your life or the life of another.

amlevin

Where on earth did he get a fully automatic AK-47 (according to the AP)? They aren't exactly common in the US.

Very true. Probably wasn't which then begs the question, "Since when is a semi-auto AK-47 considered a Military Grade Combat Rifle?" Don't you just love the intelligence exhibited in our News Media?

BTW, the outcome wasn't all that bad. Nobody was hurt except the gunman who had the courtesy to shoot himself. No police officers to be placed on administrative leave, no citizens to answer for their actions, and no long lengthy investigation or trial with numerous appeals, etc.

Last edited:

tombrewster421

One of the professors there was supposed to have a meeting there tonight about trying to get the rules changed to allow carry on campus. What a coincidence right.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Where on earth did he get a fully automatic AK-47 (according to the AP)? They aren't exactly common in the US.

Not to say that the report is accurate BUT it is fully legal in many states to own, possess, carry and fully automatic weapon. There are significant hurdles that must be crossed and a $200.00 tax to be paid to the BATFE to exercise this priviledge.

I see that you live in the State of Washington where it is fully legal to own a suppressor but it is a misdemeanor to take that same suppressor and install it on a firearm.

Trigger Dr

Not to say that the report is accurate BUT it is fully legal in many states to own, possess, carry and fully automatic weapon. There are significant hurdles that must be crossed and a $200.00 tax to be paid to the BATFE to exercise this priviledge.

I see that you live in the State of Washington where it is fully legal to own a suppressor but it is a misdemeanor to take that same suppressor and install it on a firearm.

Partially correct. You CAN install it on a firearm, but you CANNOT legally fire the gun with it attached