• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Strange incident at my house last night

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP As I went outside I noticed immediately that there was a pile (similar to a heaping spoonful) of white powdery/grainy substance on the thumb-press lever of our doorknob. I shut the door and foolishly blew it away"

What!?!?! Omigod! What a missed opportunity! That was clearly de-natured pixie dust. Regular pixie dust helps people fly; but only de-natured pixie dust can be applied to flightless magical beings, for example leprechauns and unicorns. My god, the leprechauns would have paid a fortune for that.

And, you blew it. Literally.

:)

(just trying to lighten the mood.)

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
What!?!?! Omigod! What a missed opportunity! That was clearly de-natured pixie dust. Regular pixie dust helps people fly; but only de-natured pixie dust can be applied to flightless magical beings, for example leprechauns and unicorns. My god, the leprechauns would have paid a fortune for that.

You're lucky that I wasn't drinking anything when I read this! I'd be following you around all over the forum posting that you owed me a new keyboard until you got me one.:p:D

The Don

Filthy leprechauns - I hate them SO much!!!

The Don

Update

Talked to three of my eight neighbors tonight.

Two knew nothing of relevance, but from the last I learned that one of the neighbor kids, who is a senior in high school, has had numerous dealings on the wrong side of the law - things like window peeping and stealing a car for a joyride.

So I'm feeling a little bit better now. Still going ahead with the motion detectors and probably a cam on the front door.

On the plus side my wife FINALLY wants to learn how to shoot the Walther P22 I bought her 6 or 7 years ago, AND she wants to get some sort of safe so she can keep it by her side of the bed.

Even so, I'm definitely going to be having a talk with that kid's dad tomorrow night.

LOERetired

I'll Help

Talked to three of my eight neighbors tonight.

Two knew nothing of relevance, but from the last I learned that one of the neighbor kids, who is a senior in high school, has had numerous dealings on the wrong side of the law - things like window peeping and stealing a car for a joyride.

So I'm feeling a little bit better now. Still going ahead with the motion detectors and probably a cam on the front door.

On the plus side my wife FINALLY wants to learn how to shoot the Walther P22 I bought her 6 or 7 years ago, AND she wants to get some sort of safe so she can keep it by her side of the bed.

Even so, I'm definitely going to be having a talk with that kid's dad tomorrow night.

I'd get a camera set up; I agree, two times is suspicious, either a camera, or let me sit outside your house all night and I'll catch whoever is doing it, ex-Airborne Infantry, 1/9 Manchu Warrior Korea, 1982 – 1983, I can sit in an ambush all night long, just like on the DMZ, of course, I'd have to parachute in just after dark though. lol

Don

TyGuy

Funny that you should post that.

My cousin and I must have seen Aliens on HBO the first time, and they had the sentry guns in there. Then, whenever we would rent the movie it wasn't the director's cut, and thus didn't have that scene. For YEARS we thought we were going crazy. We were young and didn't know what a director's cut was. It went on for so long that we were no longer certain that we had in fact seen that scene. Finally, when DVDs came out my first DVD purchase was Aliens, and I just happened to pick up the director's cut, and behold the sentry guns were back. Well, I called my cousin to come over, as he had since moved out, and we watched the crap out of that movie that night.

Good times.

Vandil

It's a very simple way to keep track of door use. If that powder is still there when I come back tomorrow the house is empty.

The Don

It's a very simple way to keep track of door use. If that powder is still there when I come back tomorrow the house is empty.

now that's a disturbing thought.

well, if they can get past my mastiff, at least he'll have bought me time to wake up, shower, brush my teeth, do my hair, find a shirt and pants, read the paper, use the toilet, and eventually get my 5.7 out of the dresser.

my bet is most likely i'd just have to wipe up the scraps that he didn't finish off.

seriously though, that thought disturbs me greatly.

Vandil

Would make me a bit on edge as well. Sounds like you have a decent house, remote, and possibly screened from traffic. Would be an ideal pick for many I have known.

Dogs are unpredictable when alone, the dog doesn't have you there to back it up or the family to protect. Don't count on it stopping someone determined to burglarize your home when you are absent.

I'd proceed with the camera install and keep 99% of my guns n goodies locked in the vault for the time being. Just sounds fishy to me and my experience makes me jump right to burglary.

The Don

Would make me a bit on edge as well. Sounds like you have a decent house, remote, and possibly screened from traffic. Would be an ideal pick for many I have known.

Dogs are unpredictable when alone, the dog doesn't have you there to back it up or the family to protect. Don't count on it stopping someone determined to burglarize your home when you are absent.

I'd proceed with the camera install and keep 99% of my guns n goodies locked in the vault for the time being. Just sounds fishy to me and my experience makes me jump right to burglary.

Yeah, if we weren't home, i'm not sure what he'd do. If we are home (such as at night or on a weekend) they won't get past him. If they're dressed all in black and/or wearing a hat, I'll call the funeral home and then the police.

We're definitely going with the motion detector and camera, no question on that. I've got a cheaper temporary one installed now, any my parents (electricians) are coming out to install the good one on Saturday.

suntzu

or if the person is up to no good and comes back and finds the powder still there--they might think the house is empty when in reality it isn't--maybe you are inside waiting with only the dog to keep you company.

Last edited: