• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at Apple Day's in Paintsville, Ky

jkestner3

I get to go home for the festival this weekend and was just curious if i may see any other OC'ers out and about? Havn't got to OC in Paintsville much so I don't really know how it's gonna be, kinda nervous.

neuroblades

Paintsville Gun Show - Ramada (Oct1st - 3rd) 9-4

There's a gun show this coming weekend (Oct 1st - 3rd) at the Ramada from 9am - 4pm. The gun shows $8. I don't know if it'll really be worth it though. Lexington's show is $10 and about 400 tables. I seriously doubt there will be anything near that many vendors in Paintsville.

Of course, I'll be attending to check it out on Oct. 1st (Friday) to see if it's really worth it or not.

neuroblades

I get to go home for the festival this weekend and was just curious if i may see any other OC'ers out and about? Havn't got to OC in Paintsville much so I don't really know how it's gonna be, kinda nervous.

I'd suggest hitting the gun show in OC mode and see how that goes, we shouldn't have any issue there but I'd not bet on it. *LOL* If they don't raise a racket, I'll be seriously surprised but I guess we'll see.

If that goes well then you could head on into town, a short walk from the Ramada to downtown Paintsville as you know. *LOL* i can almost promise that you'll have an LEO encounter though. Feeling ballsy? *LOL* If you're going to OC in town, print out those OC cards that have been posted on here. Keep a few with you just in case you do encounter an LEO issue.

I know that we'd had issue with Paintsville PD many years ago in the early 90's over other issues but as far as I know, all of those officers are long gone and forgotten now.

Last edited:

jkestner3

Well I was gonna be there, but big Army decided to flex it's muscles and I got called back to base. Sucks, I was looking forward to apple day, but i guess I can plan for the year after next then ! ! So let's here how the OC went there if any at all

neuroblades

Things went about the same way for me here. I slept late and then right before I'm about to leave for town, I noticed a late electric bill and that cost me about 3 hours trying to get an error corrected and then no one was available to go. Long story short, no actual OC occured on Friday but there's still tomorrow and Sunday. Granted the parade is tomorrow about 12 noon, I think. Sadly, I'm working. :( I am off Sunday but who knows at the moment. I did finally make it out to town though but didn't see any OC or "gunnies" about.

neuroblades

Next Weekend: Jenny Wiley Days (Prestonsburg)

There's always Jenny Wiley Days in Prestonsburg next weekend! :)

Last edited:

mem1977

Apple Days General Rules!

I got this from Apple Days website. Read rule number 1. Isn't this against the law?

General Parade Rules

1. No firearms may be worn during the Parade by anyone other than
authorized members of the law enforcement agencies.

2. No alcoholic beverages or illegal substances will be permitted.
3. The Parade will start promptly at 2:00 PM..
4. Parade entrants will move to the right of the street, stop, and remain
stopped allowing Emergency vehicles, such as ambulances, to pass.
5. Upon completion of the Parade Route all entries will turn left off
Third Street to West Street and right onto James S. Trimble Blvd.
Parade units should exit across the bridge, where they may return to
the line up area for disbursement or return to their designated
locations.
6.. No Parade entry is allowed to unload any participants on the Parade
route, only at the appointed designated area.
7. All float entries must be signed up with the Parade Chairman and
approved on or before the Wednesday before the Parade. No other
float entries will be permitted.
8. Any questions concerning the Parade Guidelines should be referred
to the Parade Chairperson.
9. The Apple Parade Chairperson and /or Festival Board of Directors
reserves the right to change any of these guidelines without notice in
the event of an emergency situation.

I went to Jenny Wiley Festival website and couldn't find any rules listed there.

neuroblades

I got this from Apple Days website. Read rule number 1. Isn't this against the law?

General Parade Rules

1. No firearms may be worn during the Parade by anyone other than
authorized members of the law enforcement agencies.

2. No alcoholic beverages or illegal substances will be permitted.
3. The Parade will start promptly at 2:00 PM..
4. Parade entrants will move to the right of the street, stop, and remain
stopped allowing Emergency vehicles, such as ambulances, to pass.
5. Upon completion of the Parade Route all entries will turn left off
Third Street to West Street and right onto James S. Trimble Blvd.
Parade units should exit across the bridge, where they may return to
the line up area for disbursement or return to their designated
locations.
6.. No Parade entry is allowed to unload any participants on the Parade
route, only at the appointed designated area.
7. All float entries must be signed up with the Parade Chairman and
approved on or before the Wednesday before the Parade. No other
float entries will be permitted.
8. Any questions concerning the Parade Guidelines should be referred
to the Parade Chairperson.
9. The Apple Parade Chairperson and /or Festival Board of Directors
reserves the right to change any of these guidelines without notice in
the event of an emergency situation.

I went to Jenny Wiley Festival website and couldn't find any rules listed there.

*LMBO* Yeah, that's the same stuff that Lexington tried during one of there outings as well. But being that it's a RULE and not KRS, it's just words! The intended carry was to be during the Friday & Saturday in conjuction with the gun show. Sadly, I never quite made it to the gun show though it is still going on today but time has not permitted.

The solution to the above, unless someone just wanted to make a statement for their 2nd Amendment Rights, is to just concealed carry! That's what I did during my time at Apple Days this year. Paintsville has been known to be a very backwards area in relationship to LEO and rights in the past. I can not state that about the current LEO since the bad ones have been removed over the past 15+ years. It wasn't easy getting them removed though!

If current LEO knows the OC law for the state, which they should! Then they should also know that legally that RULE can not be enforced. But the event is over now so it's really a moot issue. On to Jenny Wiley Days in Prestonsburg this coming week.

We've OC'ed in Prestonsburg previously and so shall I again during Jenny Wiley Days again.

RE: As per rule #4, The emergency services in Paintsville have a proclivity to "show off" during Apple Days, especially during the parade.

Last edited:

mem1977

I don't own any hand guns or rifles yet. I am searching to buy my first hand gun. I have done a lot of reading on the open carry laws. I can't wait until my first OC. I plan to also take the CDW class too. Any ideas on what would be a good hand gun for a first timer?

Last edited:

neuroblades

I don't own any hand guns or rifles yet. I am searching to buy my first hand gun. I have done a lot of reading on the open carry laws. I can't wait until my first OC. I plan to also take the CDW class too. Any ideas on what would be a good hand gun for a first timer?

Well, I'll have to make some assumptions here being that I don't know exactly what you're looking for in the sense of size, caliber, price, and mood of carry. I'll pass along some info that I learned when I started out first:

1. Price SHOULD NOT be your determining factor in a weapon! If the sidearm you're looking to purchase is for self-defense, not amount of money is too much! This is not to say that you have to pay a huge amount for a good gun, just that you don't want to skimp on this item. Personally, I carry a top end sidearm because I grew very close to it when I worked in florida many years ago.

2. The caliber you choose IS important! This is not to say that you have to carry a huge .50 caliber sidearm, that would be foolish and far too bulky to really be useful. Alot of people feel that the .380 caliber is idea and that's OK for them, personally, I won't carry anything less than a 9mm or larger than .45 caliber. My preference though is for the .40 caliber S&W caliber. With .40 S&W you have the best of both worlds (9mm & 45), granted, there's the .357 SIG round out there as well and it is a excellent caliber as well, just not as common.

3. The physical size of your sidearm of choice is generally determined by the caliber you choose. While this is not always the case, there are some exceptions out there. The best way to determine what feels best for you (grip, weight, physical size, ammo capacity, etc.) is to attend some of the better gun shows, feel and touch the firearms themselves, if you have the chance, shoot other peoples sidearms to see how they feel in action. Ideally, if you lived near a shooting range that rents firearms for the range, attend one of those and try different sidearms to see how they feel in action as well.

Personally, I carry a SIG Sauer P229 Elite Dark or a SIG Sauer P229 SCT. Both are considered to be moderately heavy sidearms, weighing in at 2 pounds fully loaded. It's not generally easy for a small frame person to carry a larger sidearm without it showing. I, personally, prefer the heavier weigh of this SIG over other sidearms for a few reason:

A. The heavier weigh works to help stablize this weapon on the recoil thus allowing for very little shift and re-orientation on follow-up shots on a bad guy AKA tango.

B. The weight of this weapon works for the owner as well in reference to melee, if need be. This weapons is ALL METAL, not some composite materials.

In the end, you have to decide what feels right for you personally. Some people prefer lighter sidearms for ease of carry, some prefer smaller single stack mag weapons for ease of concealment, some prefer composite sidearms to an even lighter carry. And we've still not even touched on the debate over automatics or revolvers. *LOL* Each has their up's and down's. Yes, there are some major decisions to be made before you even put down your hard earned cash.

langzaiguy

Lexington banned guns from their fourth of July parade. I took issue with it, they sent the issue to their legal department to figure out and they settle with me. They agreed that they had no legal basis to ban firearms from the parade. I'm sure the same would apply here. Carry on!

mem1977

When I do purchase my first firearm. I will open carry all the time and if stopped by the police. I will simply quote them the law and show them the cards I carry stating the law. If they continue to harass me I will look at them and say, "Continue to do so and I will file a law suit against your department.

:monkey

Last edited:

langzaiguy

@Mem There is no law allowing OC. Here in the Commonwealth, we are free to do as we please provided it is not against the law. If you're harassed ask them to cite the law that you are allegedly breaking. The burden of proof is upon their shoulders.

neuroblades

The issue, at least for me, is not whether they can enforce this "rule", but that they even try. The existence of the "rule" is a violation of state law. They don't have to pass a city ordinance or put anybody in jail for it to be a violation. KRS 65.870 says

No city, county or urban-county government may occupy any part of the field of regulation of the transfer, ownership, possession, carrying or transportation of firearms, ammunition, or components of firearms or combination thereof.

This rule is just that (the underlined parts). Most people don't know their rights and are intimidated by such "rules". The people that do this should be confronted at every opportunity and we should demand that they stop. If any intimidation is to be done, it should be the people intimidating the elected officials. This event is over, but it's not too early to start complaining about it for next year and other events yet to come this year. This will continue as long as we allow it.

Gutshot, check your PM's.