• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question

AZTANK

Hey all!

Okay I'm going to be getting my gun soon, Went to the shooting range last night and was testing some guns..

Anyways being said I'm only 18, If I get stopd by a cop asking for a CCW or some kind of permit and I say I don't have one- do i show the cop my sate ID or what do I say or do?

As I said in my other thread most cops don't know about the new OC law so I'm kind of ify :banghead:

Thanks

sonoran_Tj

1. Most importantly, make sure you are following all the laws.
2. Follow all the Officer's directions. Even if the Officer feels he needs to arrest you; If you were following all the laws (see rule 1) then a wrongful arrest is much better than whatever would happen to you if you resisted arrest.
3. Be respectful. Tell the Officer that you are following the law and within your rights to be carrying. If the Officer wants to see ID, show him a valid ID.

This above is what I would do, as it is the best way to avoid a confrontation with the Officer.

March Hare

Hey all!

Okay I'm going to be getting my gun soon, Went to the shooting range last night and was testing some guns..

Anyways being said I'm only 18, If I get stopd by a cop asking for a CCW or some kind of permit and I say I don't have one- do i show the cop my sate ID or what do I say or do?

As I said in my other thread most cops don't know about the new OC law so I'm kind of ify :banghead:

Thanks

Good advice on being polite around the police, they can make your day rough...

You don't need a permit to carry a firearm in AZ.
As long as you are carrying openly, you are completely legal. You might get asked for proof of your age if you look young, but that's about it.

Stay out of the usual forbidden places, K-12 school grounds, places that serve alcohol and Government buildings and you should be just fine.
Be careful on reservation land, they have their own rules...

http://opencarry.org/az.html

-MH

azcdlfred

As I said in my other thread most cops don't know about the new OC law so I'm kind of ify
The specific law for under 21 with guns is ARS 13-3102.B.3 (I recommend reading the entire ARS 13-3102 because other parts also apply):

B. Subsection A, paragraph 2 of this section shall not apply to:
3.A firearm that is carried in:
(a) A manner where any portion of the firearm or holster in which the firearm is carried is visible.
(b) A holster that is wholly or partially visible.
(c) A scabbard or case designed for carrying weapons that is wholly or partially visible.
(d) Luggage.
(e) A case, holster, scabbard, pack or luggage that is carried within a means of transportation or within a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk or glove compartment of a means of transportation.

Keep in mind that there are two 1994 court decisions, based on similar language that no longer exists, that say "wholly or partially visible" means "obvious under casual observation," and a gun in a vehicle is considered a concealed weapon unless it's in the holster, scabbard, etc. and in one of the 4 magic places mentioned in ARS 13-3102.B.3(e). Just because the court decisions should no longer apply doesn't mean that cops, after over a decade of conditioning under the old law, are suddenly enlightened. Add to the mix that you are under 21 with a gun, and therefore a cop magnet.

When you are in a vehicle, put the gun in a holster, scabbard, etc. and put it one of the 4 magic places.

I strongly recommend you read this document.

And, if you are going to carry a gun, I recommend dressing like Chatsworth Osborne, Jr. and ONLY carrying in a strong side belt holster or maybe an IWB. Avoid the "look at me I'm carrying a gun and I think I'm cool" thigh rigs, shoulder holsters, pistols on a sling and the infamous "Mexican Carry."

Finally, since most men learn to shoot from watching bad television, I recommend taking advantage of this Front Sight $99 training offer.

Fred

azcdlfred

Sorry - I missed this half of your question in my earlier reply.

When stopped, keep your hands on the wheel (turn on the inside lights in the car if it's at night - the objective is for the cop to see your hands). Do NOT stick your hands out the window. That's an indicator to the cop that you have been arrested before.

Depsite the law not requiring you to tell the cop you have a gun unless asked, it's probably best that you tell him at the first opportunity. It's for his safety and it might make things go easier for you. Don't scream "I HAVE A GUN!!!!" Say something like "Officer, I just want to let you know that I have a legally owned firearm in a holster in the glove compartment. How do you want to proceed?"

Expect the gun to be taken from you and the cop to run the serial number before you get it back.

Do whatever he/she says. If they treat you like dirt, disassemble your gun and throw the pieces in the trunk of your car, just remember everything and contact their supervisor after you get home. 99% of the time it will go nicely, but figure as someone under 21 with a gun, you are going to get the third degree and not be treated nicely. You can thank your peers for that, the cop just wants to go home to his family.

Of course, the way to avoid all this is not act like a dick while you're driving and/or
carrying a gun. The heaviest thing about a gun is the responsbility that comes with it.

Fred

Last edited:

mFonz77

I would add, in addition to keeping your hands on the wheel and the dome light on, make sure you have the radio turned off and your ignition as well. This lets the officer know you are not going to back over him/her or spin gravel and peel out.

I also (when I have been pulled over in the past) activate the voice recorder on my iPhone. It is surprisingly sensitive.

*1911_man*

I get pulled over probably more often than the normal person, but its always for speeding because it seems like im always late to work, meetings etc etc.

When i do get stopped, i simply leave my hands on the steering wheel, in a fairly relaxed manner, then when the officer asks for license, registration and proof of insurance, that's when i inform him i am armed, or when they ask what I'm in a hurry for or whatever they happen to say. I agree with not saying "I HAVE A GUN!!". That will not end very well. I simply say, "just letting you know, i am armed, have a gun on my right side in a holster". Ive never had a problem with that. Obviously you aren't going to say it in an aggressive manner, but be respectful. Almost every cop is going to see a young driver, and expect them to be belligerent. With good reason.

Mainly they will simply take your gun, unload it, check the numbers, and put it on the roof or hood of your vehicle. A couple times they have put it in the trunk.