• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pre-Paid Legal Services

jasonman17

I just wanted to give this info out to people that are like me and don't have alot of money for a lawyer but OC and would want one. The People here have alot to offer for only $17 a month for a lawyer. I can call him 24-7 in an emergency if I was every illegally detained from ANYTHING. I also can use them for court cases, lawsuits ect. I will give you two websites that will explain a lot more on this.

Here is the main website

https://www.prepaidlegal.com/

If interested in getting this here is another site with my agent and you can email him with any questions.

https://www.prepaidlegal.com/Multisite/Multisite?site=hub&assoc=dennis72

TheQ

During your first membership year, you have up to 75 hours of your Provider Lawyer's time at no additional cost when you or your spouse is named defendant or respondent in a covered civil or criminal action filed in a court of law. The criminal action must be one which arises out of the direct performance of the covered person's employment activities. Your Provider Firm can advise you of the documents required to determine coverage under this benefit.

So unless your employment is involved in your criminal matter, it appears you aren't covered. If you're walking down the road and get an MWAG call/detention/attempted prosecution, you're not covered.

jasonman17

So unless your employment is involved in your criminal matter, it appears you aren't covered. If you're walking down the road and get an MWAG call/detention/attempted prosecution, you're not covered.

I am going to look into this. Thanks.

DanM

Good catch.

Another thing that I can't square is that, at the $17/month the OP states, what kind of time or what kind of quality representation are you getting?

A decent attorney is going to cost probably at least $150/hour, but let's assume for argument good attorneys come at (and this is a stretch) at least $100/hour. $17/month is $204/year. That's two hours per year of a good attorney's time. That's not nearly enough time for all the thing that website represents that you can use them for. If I used them for everything they suggest they are available for, I'm sure I could have them burn through 10 hours of their time per year, easily.

So, what's the catch? Do they cut you off after a very small number of hours per year, charge you for hours over that very small number of hours per year, or do you get an "attorney" who works for $20/hour and the quality of representation that that translates to? Something smells strongly.

For OC'ers, I *highly* recommend--for legal issues arising from gun ownership or carry--that you stick to the good attorneys we've identified in Michigan who are competent with firearms law.

Last edited:

TheQ

Good catch.

Another thing that I can't square is that, at the $17/month the OP states, what kind of time or what kind of quality representation are you getting?

A decent attorney is going to cost probably at least $150/hour, but let's assume for argument good attorneys come at (and this is a stretch) at least $100/hour. $17/month is $204/year. That's two hours per year of a good attorney's time. That's not nearly enough time for all the thing that website represents that you can use them for. If I used them for everything they suggest they are available for, I'm sure I could have them burn through 10 hours of their time per year, easily.

So, what's the catch? Do they cut you off at two hours of time per year, charge you for hours over two/year, or you get very substandard representation? Something smells strongly.

The attorney I spoke to locally runs $250/hr!

DanM

The attorney I spoke to locally runs $250/hr!

Exactly! My attorney isn't great, but he's competent and has done good work, and he's at $200/hour. And that was a competitive rate when I was talking to attorneys and getting a sense of their competence. For $17 a month, you're either going to get 1 hour (or probably less) of a good lawyer's time per year, or you're going to get something extremely disappointing to your expectations from this McLawyer's website.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
I figured that it was like "law insurance" which, if good lawyers would be the norm, wouldn't be a bad idea. Like car insurance, most people don't make claims as much as they make payments, so there are huge profits made, but if you get into a crash, the check is really nice. People like me simply cannot get equal representation in court.

TheQ

I figured that it was like "law insurance" which, if good lawyers would be the norm, wouldn't be a bad idea. Like car insurance, most people don't make claims as much as they make payments, so there are huge profits made, but if you get into a crash, the check is really nice. People like me simply cannot get equal representation in court.

General law insurance would run a lot more than $17/month.

DanM

I figured that it was like "law insurance" which, if good lawyers would be the norm, wouldn't be a bad idea. . . . People like me simply cannot get equal representation in court.

I assume good lawyers are the norm. If that is so, what you are going to get for $17/month is 1 hour or less of a good lawyer's time per year. If you are needing to go over that, and assuming this business employs or contracts with good lawyers, they will ask you for more money before proceeding further on whatever work you need from them.

I would be highly surprised if this is something where you can pay $17/month and potentially obtain thousands of dollars worth of legal representation benefits. People normally don't risk giving money or their time (which is worth money) like that. Good attorneys definitely don't work that way. They work on a per hour basis, or are paid good salaries by corporate employers.

You are best off saving as much as you can for a retainer. Take your $17 a month and sock it away in your bank account. Be your own "law insurance" provider, and pay the premiums to yourself. :)

Last edited:

budlight

My advice would be to skip these plans. Most people pay the money, but never end up utilizing the services. Secondly, those that do use the service typically get a general practice attorney who is not well versed to handle their specific case. If you are ever criminally charged, the attorney you get will probably not be any better then the public defender offered by the court.

In regards to attorney prices in my area, they are charging $175 per hour to $300+. Those that specialize in something are the ones usually going for $300+.

Again, it’s just my opinion that the plan would be a waste of money.