• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nearly Free Summary of All Mississippi Weapon Laws

gunluvinatty

I have written a twelve page summary of all Mississippi statutory laws concerning weapons, with citations to the relevant authority. I am going to make this available, free of charge, for a limited time on two conditions:

1. if you find any errors, or topics which you feel should be included but are not, you will let me know. I want the work to be the best it can be.

2. If you think the article is a valuable resource, please pass my name around in your social and professional circles. In other words, I am asking for your word of mouth advertising. Anyone who wants to add my contact card to their database can send me an email and I will forward my v-card.

To obtain a read only version, please visit our firm website (www.freelandshull.com) and click on the "Resources" tab. My bio is available here (http://www.freelandshull.com/GenericPage/DisplayPage.aspx?guid=AE7B71AB-DA36-4FF4-99A9-6D7065EC50DE).

gunluvinatty

Are you saying you can't download the article? I tried again and it worked for me. Please let me know what problem you experienced.

stungun

I renamed the file and extension, then had no problem with the file.

Even tho I fell asleep while reading it, it's not half bad.

The only thing I see missing is the "offensive" hunting weapons section, which might not be what you're going for... but there's some tricky stuff when it comes to that, too. And some of it applies to what you're after, such as driving on federal land with a loaded weapon. Don't think I saw anything about that in your notes.

I was forwarded this by a friend of mine who just took a hunting course. His notes...

++++++++++++++++++++++

Stuff I learned at Hunter Safety Course

A rifle with .35 caliber or larger “single shot” can be used during
primitive weapon season (see attachment)

All laws (bag limit, season, violations) concerning migratory birds are federal

You do not have to wear orange during archery season

Hogs, coyotes, beavers, skunks, & nutria are considered nuisance animals
They can be harvested during any hunting season with the appropriate
weapon for that season
No limit
Need Sportsman License
Hogs can be hunted at night with a spotlight
(See attachment)

Cannot carry a side arm while hunting during archery or primitive weapons season

In MS all land is considered posted...even if it is not posted
means that “not knowing” property lines or hunting zones is not an
excuse for trespassing or hunting in inappropriate areas

Supplemental feeding
enclosed structure 100 yrds away from shooting stand and out of “line-of-sight”

A gun is considered loaded if:
cartridge is in barrel
cartridge is in magazine and magazine is in gun...does not have to be cocked
cartridge is attached to gun in ANY fashion... no gun sling with
shells attached
cartridge is NOT in a closed bag... cannot have bullet on floorboard
of car... cannot have bullets on your belt... can have loaded magazine
in pocket (fully enclosed pocket) or glovebox

Cannot have loaded gun on right-of-way... you must be off the road and
shoulder of road
Cannot have loaded gun in car

Driving through “federal” land... must have gun in case or dismantled

++++++++++++++++++++++

He sent me some attachments, too. (I believe that the .35 caliber, single-shot rifle being considered as a primitive weapon is based upon public notice and not statute... but that doesn't make it any less "legal" or "lawful"). Here are a couple of the public notices...
View attachment WL6-2280 (Primitive Weapon).pdf
View attachment Nuisance_Wildlife.pdf
View attachment LE4 3770 (Nuisance Animal-Final).pdf

stungun

I'm not sure how accurate a few of those notes of his are, tho.

For example...

(1) I'm not sure why a sidearm isn't allowed, so long as you say you're just target shooting and/or fishing. :)

(2) Don't know where he saw the thing about:

"In MS all land is considered posted...even if it is not posted
means that “not knowing” property lines or hunting zones is not an
excuse for trespassing or hunting in inappropriate areas";

All I saw was:

"§ 49-7-79. Unlawful to hunt on lands of others, when.

It shall be unlawful to hunt, shoot, or trap or otherwise trespass on the lands or leases of another after having been warned not to do so, whether in person or by posting of suitable notice in conspicuous places on such lands.",

which sounds about as Common Law as it gets. Sounds like if you haven't been told, notified not to hunt on certain land, then it's fair game.

(3) "cannot have a loaded gun in the car"

I'm presuming he's talking about state-owned land, at that point, which is false, as you should already know.

DCKilla

(3) "cannot have a loaded gun in the car"
You can carry any weapon/firearm anywhere in your car, loaded or unloaded. It don't matter.

97-37-1. Deadly weapons; carrying while concealed; use or attempt to use; penalties.

(2) It shall not be a violation of this section for any person over the age of eighteen (18) years to carry a firearm or deadly weapon concealed in whole or in part within the confines of his own home or his place of business, or any real property associated with his home or business or within any motor vehicle.

Last edited:

stungun

Yea, I think that third point about hunting is revolving around walking on public land...

Presuming that you parked on the shoulder of the road... you wouldn't be allowed to have a loaded gun right there on the shoulder, or on the road itself. Public property is not private property... so you'd have to unload to walk to your car.

If you have a stationwagon... and your feet are on the public property while throwing a loaded gun in the car... then you could possibly fall into some trouble.

But, as soon as you get in your car, you can load it again. :)

stungun

Here's some more Public Notices he had...

View attachment ChickasawF1011.pdf
View attachment ChoctawF1011.pdf

Hunting on horseback is allowed.

Hunting deer with .22 rimfire is illegal.
Hunting hogs with a rifle LARGER than .22 rimfire is illegal. Any caliber pistol is acceptable for hogs, tho.

=======================

Pretty nuts if you ask me. I never consented to any of these rules.

Last edited: