• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL's Protest of Eric Cantor's Anti-Gun GOP Roundup 10/2/10 2PM-4PM

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
VCDL's Protest of Eric Cantor's Anti-Gun GOP Roundup

Congressman Eric Cantor (R-7th), continues to hold his annual roundup at Snag-A-Job Pavillion at Innsbrook in Glen Allen, where lawful carry of guns are banned.

VCDL tried to work with Cantor and the 7th District GOP Chairman, Linwood Cobb for several years, to move the event to one of several venues that we identified as being pro-gun. One of our members even offered to pay any cost differential.

Ultimately we were strung along, ignored, and even told that "no one needs to bring a gun."

Last year, 325 of you joined VCDL's first Freedom Rally protest of Cantor's anti-gun fundraiser, which forced Cantor to defend his position to the press. In characteristic politician-speak which takes us all for fools, he blamed the property owners of the venue where he holds his annual events.

Would he also expect to be excused if he held a fundraiser at a club that banned women or minorities because it was the club's policy, not his?

At the end of last year's roundup, Linwood Cobb defiantly challenged gun owners by declaring Cantor's event would again be held at gun-banning Snag-A-Job Pavillion this year.

So mark your calendars for Saturday, October 2!

This year we will be much more focused on everyone being lined up at the entranceway to Cantor's event during the short period when Roundup attendees are arriving. It will not be an all day event like last year, just two hours of maximum concentration and visibility, with many more protest signs.

We can anticipate press coverage again, and numbers are our strength. We need YOU! Please stand with us from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. (Cantor's event begins at 3:00 p.m.) on October 2.

The pavilion is located at 5236 Cox Road, Glen Allen, 23462. Parking will be very limited along the roadway there, but other limited parking may be available at the Shoppes at Innsbrook at the intersection of Cox and Broad (and be sure to partonize those shops which supported us so well last year). Carpooling helps. Arrive early so you have plenty of time to park and be on station by 2:00 p.m. VCDL facilitators in clearly marked safety vests will be on site.

*** Needless to say, we urge you NOT to attend Cantor's event or to provide financial support to this act of hypocrisy! ***

In order for us to get a headcount, if you plan on attending send an email with the subject line: "Cantor protest: x",
where "x" is the number attending, to Dennis O'Connor at:

Dennis@vcdl.org

Only the subject line of your email will be viewed and not the actual content, which I suggest you just leave empty.

See you there!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Last year it was well planned and done so in advance. It was announced at the planning meeting with Linwood Cobb and the Goochland Committee.

This year if it was planned at all, it was a great secret. It was announced two weeks ago in an alert.

I honestly hope there is a strong turnout because with everyone gathered at the entrance, we/you...will look pretty silly with 20 protesters and a Hummer.

It is the opening day of bow season. Last year I planned around it. This year I didn't have time to reschedule and it's one or the other.

Thundar

So is this protest only about the no gun meeting or is it also about the lack of civil rights concerns, including the right to keep and bear arms, in the Republican Pledge to America?

Seems to me Republicans are taking the gun rights vote for granted. They may be surprised at how many tea party supporters vote for a Libertarian who has no regrets stating the need for restoation of civil liberties, including the 2A, as their agenda.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
So is this protest only about the no gun meeting or is it also about the lack of civil rights concerns, including the right to keep and bear arms, in the Republican Pledge to America?

Seems to me Republicans are taking the gun rights vote for granted. They may be surprised at how many tea party supporters vote for a Libertarian who has no regrets stating the need for restoation of civil liberties, including the 2A, as their agenda.

As I understand it, the protest is about Cantor refusing to move his fundraising event to a site that will allow the lawful carry of firearms by attendees. (Is that weasel-worded enough?)

For several years VCDL has tried to discuss the issue with Cantor and the 7th District Republican Committee. This year VCDL presented a variety of alternate sites with the same or better qualifications as Cantor and the Committee stated drove the Snag-A-Job site as being why it was chosen, as well as offering to pay the difference, of any, on the cost of holding the event at one of the alternate sites. In case you were not aware, Cantor and the 7th District Republican Committee refused the offers.

I agree that VCDL did a poor job of publicizing the protest plans. However, I heard and participated in several IRL and cyberspace discussions about doing the protest going back almost a full year from today. There have been a few threads i the Birginia forum about the Roundup and plans to hold a protest.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A little more about last year prior to the Roundup.

Somewhere buried in a TB of video and audio, I have this, but Philip discussed the location with Cobb. Cobb dismissed it because Innsbrook was the only place that had the facilities for this.

Skidmark volunteered to find a suitable place to their specifications. Cobb wouldn't even extend the courtesy telling him the specs.

Last years protest did shake up a lot of Republicans and there was a lot of quiet infighting. It didn't do much good though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The event has been on the agenda since last year absenting its relocation to a more friendly venue - that did not happen.......again.

The decision was made to reduce the time demands/pressure of an all day event (wherein many did not finish up until way after dark) to a two (2) hour block this year covering the arrival of the Round-up guests.

A Va-Alert made this announcement several weeks ago.

There is time enough to do both Peter - hunt in the A.M. and thump Cantor in the P.M. :D

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
A little more about last year prior to the Roundup.

Somewhere buried in a TB of video and audio, I have this, but Philip discussed the location with Cobb. Cobb dismissed it because Innsbrook was the only place that had the facilities for this.

Skidmark volunteered to find a suitable place to their specifications. Cobb wouldn't even extend the courtesy telling him the specs.

Last years protest did shake up a lot of Republicans and there was a lot of quiet infighting. It didn't do much good though.

Just to clarify - Cobb declined to respond at the meeting in Goochland County when the question was put to him. I was later on able to get a list of the amenities they considered their site needed to have. Sorry, but I do not recall who gave it to me, but the requirements were at the time vetted to me as being accurate.

stay safe.

MSC 45ACP

3 Entrances?

Just looked at Google Earth and it looks like this place (if the Google Earth overhead is correct) has three entrances. Are we going to try covering all three or just one or two?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just looked at Google Earth and it looks like this place (if the Google Earth overhead is correct) has three entrances. Are we going to try covering all three or just one or two?

Last year we covered all roads leading to the promised land. :D

Expect that we shall do so again with great vigor.

See you and yours there - if you get up our way early enough, check out the breakfast:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...nd-OC-Breakfast-10-2-EARLY-START-TIME-9-00-AM

MSC 45ACP

That's the Plan, Grapeshot! If anyone has any OC cards for purchase, I'll be glad to take them off your hands. I ran out a while ago and have been meaning to put a check in the mail, but always seem to forget until the money is gone. I think I have enough stickers for a while, but we may be interested in some VCDL shirts and/or hats if available, too.

We look forward to seeing y'all in Richmond, hopefully for breakfast!

mike

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
This is where we stood last year (marked in lime green)
innsbrook.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We were also lined up along Broad St. and at every intersection leading into Snag-A-Job.

The biggest concentration was as noted and others moved down as the final minutes drew close. We stayed until they broke up and departed.

Must admit that there were some very rude and discurtious attendees there to hear Cantor - some gave us the one finger salute as they were leaving. :lol: They must not agree with democracy in action.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
We were also lined up along Broad St. and at every intersection leading into Snag-A-Job.

The biggest concentration was as noted and others moved down as the final minutes drew close. We stayed until they broke up and departed.

Must admit that there were some very rude and discurtious attendees there to hear Cantor - some gave us the one finger salute as they were leaving. :lol: They must not agree with democracy in action.

Especially the overdressed middle aged women.:lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Especially the overdressed middle aged women.:lol:

Wish you had gotten a picture of that - we could have put it on a billboard on I-95 with the quote "This is what Cantor's supporters think of your rights!" :cool:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Shortly after we arrived to set out signs the first of the Henrico County Police contingent pulled in. Their leader pulled in behind Grapeshot's vehicle and turned on the emergency lights, causing an "Uh Oh" moment. I started getting pictures in case we needed to ID them later on. I also waved to the cop and advanced with my right hand outstreched to shake his.

Got a very pleasant, warm hello and handshake and some introductions were exchanged and we got informed they were (except for the head guy) from the East End of the county. Comments were exchanged about how dull and boring they would probably fnd the day's event.

Shortly after that the head of Innsbrook Patrol security came up, and told us he had cleared it for us to be able to use the parking lot of the office building across the street from where we were lining up. That was before the main body of our group arrived, and was warmly welcomed information.

All in all the little interaction there was between VCDL folks and the cops/security was quite friendly - much better vibes than last year. We waved at the Sheriff's Deputies, State Police and what were probably Secret Service guys as they drobe by, but I am unaware of any interaction with them beyond that.

Our side waved and smiled at the folks driving in, and Bruce offered the GSL stickers. Some waved back - most using all their fingers but there were a few Hawaiin Good Luck Waves offered. There were a few "thumns down" given, and a couple of folks actually scowled as they drove by. What I was struck by were the high number of folks who either looked straight ahead as if trying to ignore our presence or who actually averted their heads so as to not look at us. (If you know what a "guilty look" means, that was how those folks appeared to me.)

I admit to having some fun with the Henrico Police Sergeant who was driving up & down the road before the official start time of the Roundup. He took it as a good joke and laughed and kidded back about noth knowing where the good donuts were to be had and learning that the proper description is "Police Power Rings" (thanks for the info, Bruce! I learned something new.)

Mega Thanks to the head of Innsbrook Patrol security if you are reading this. Your kindness and generosity were appreciated beyond meaure.

At the end of our event the headbof Innsbrook Patrol security stopped to say goodbye and commented on the good behavior of all that came out. He told me he looked dorward to seeing and working with us next year. I responded by saying that I hoped it would not be necessary, which got a big smile, a laugh, and some words indicating that he agreed it would be nice but .... Let's just say it's not good form to discuss his politics, OK.

A fair number of us ended the day at Capital Alehouse. In spite of Grapeshot getting turned around in his quest to get there early and arrange for seating we managed to muddle through and enjoyed an al fresco repast on the patio. I was back in the corner, but heard nothing from those nearer the other customers about getting the stink-eye.

Here's to hoping we do not have to have another protest, and knowing if that dos not come about there will be another bunch of good guys and gals carrying on the good fight.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Many thanks to all that took the time to come out and support this - some drove quite a distance i.e. NoVa, Roanoke, Yorktown and other points near and far. You are the strength of VCDL.

Eric Cantor and Lynwood Cobb may be ignoring you, but others are hearing and understanding the message - loud and clear.

It's OK to drink and pledge your money at Eric's party in Snag-A-Job but if you take the safety of yourself and your family seriously, you are NOT welcome.........but please pledge your monetary support. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way for me. BTW - did I say that I vote and know a lot of other voters too.

Either Eric doesn't think he needs us or doesn't wish to do more than pay lip service to our fundamental rights. That is the shame of it.

Time may come..................

Enjoyed the day, the many conversations and the blue bird weather. :D