• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry at a KOA campground?

HvyMtl

"To put it simply, it boils down to cost. While the difference between a hotel and a KOA is something I would be able to easily afford, I'd rather not spend the added cost if I can make due with "less" while still getting what I need out of it."

What cost is your life? What does your freedom cost? I assume you have a permit to carry, how much would you pay NOT to lose it?

Point is, you are putting yourself at risk of negative issues, depending on local laws, you could get arrested, or if caught carrying in a known "gun free" area, lose your permit.

A decent Red Roof is, what $50-70, and many have laundry facilities. The Holbrook KOA charges $70+, depending if you want cable, wifi, and water.

So. Service your RV (water, brown water, etc) then go to a Red Roof, or other hotel.

But, if you have total disregard for the KOA owner's rights, and are willing to possibly set yourself up for being kicked off their property, and possibly having to explain yourself to the local LEO, all for the convenience, it makes me wonder what else you are capable of...

onlurker

A decent Red Roof is, what $50-70, and many have laundry facilities. The Holbrook KOA charges $70+, depending if you want cable, wifi, and water.

So. Service your RV (water, brown water, etc) then go to a Red Roof, or other hotel.

I'm tent camping FYI, which is $20-something a night. Everything will be piled in a small hatchback.

Last edited:

HvyMtl

Holbrook, Az Motel 6 $39.99 before any discount - on site laundry facilities. Free wifi. Refrigerator and Microwave in all rooms. Pets allowed. Kids stay free. Free morning coffee.

Is $20 in savings important enough to put yourself into a situation which can go badly for you?

Motel 6 Holbrook #4361
2514 Navajo Boulevard
I-40 at Navajo Boulevard, Exit #286 East - #289 West
Holbrook, AZ, 86025
Phone: (928) 524-6101

http://www.motel6.com/reservations/...61&NOA=&aYr=&aMo=&aDa=&dYr=&dMo=&dDa=&CP=&TA=

Last edited:

OldCurlyWolf

Is Motel 6 an open carry friendly establishment?

Not Really. In fact they are a real bunch of @#$%@s. Most hotels/motels are. A few years back there was a big flap about hunters and Motel 6, when Americans still owned it. Now the blasted French own it.

:banghead:

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
You should be perfectly safe at a KOA campground. They prohibit firearms so the criminals won't use their guns there:

http://koa.com/where/campgrounddocuments/09322_rules.pdf

Lol, NavyLT, you mean I'll be as safe as the 33 Virginia Tech students who died, as well as the Wal-Mart shopper who was murdered in cold blood here in town.

Lets retract my "Lol," as the unnecessary demise of 34 people due to gun-free aka open-fire zones "gun bans" is no laughing matter. Why criminals get this and honest, law-abiding stupes, er, citizens FAIL to get this is utterly beyond my comprehension.

Case in point: I've OC'd for a year at a local store I frequent more than once a week. Last night, one of their employees tells me "I'm sorry, Sir, but we no longer allow customers carrying handguns in our store." My response, loud enough for the manager seated 37 feet away to hear was "That's OK. Your competitors a quarter mile up the road not only have no problem with it, but they welcome it when honest, law-abiding citizens exercise their right to keep and bear arms in keeping with the peace. They'll get my several hundred dollars a month business from now on while you and your recent decision get zip. See ya."

Seriously. Happened last night at a local establishment within a quarter mile from where I live.

Freakin' knuckleheaded nincompoops. Gah! Idiots.

Last edited:

TOF

I am not a trucker so don't know for certain how Truck Stops work but know they have laundry and shower facilities. Holbrook being on I40 has facilities for truckers you might investigate.

There are certainly adequate areas to pitch a tent in Northern Arizona without abusing private property rights.

Enjoy your stay in the Constitutional Carry State.

HvyMtl

nah, OC they are not. But CC is fine, unlike the total denial of your rights by KOA. Isnt Hotels covered under the law a bit differently... Besides, if it is a franchise location, they may set their own rules. A simple telephone call would advise you of their policy... Odd thing is, as I type this, a Motel 6 ad runs in the top banner of this forum...

Hope that Aint a Flying J or Pilot truck stop... Their former? CEO is running for Governor here. Was in Bloomberg's Mayors Against "Illegal" Guns, and as Mayor of Knoxville banned any carry in the city's parks.

I would have little doubt they would not allow firearms on their premises.

Last edited:

hogeaterf6

I say throw your shirt over it, set up your tent, grab some food, lay it beside your pillow, and get some sleep. Revs steps in the morning. I carried mine this year to a camp ground. I didnt ask and they didnt tell. It staid in the saddle bag most of the time.

acmariner99

strange

I find this odd. I HAVE OCd at KOA campgrounds. Both in Twin Falls and Ely, NV. I got no comments about it at all. I even think in Ely I got a question on what I was carrying. I never saw any mention of a policy on no firearms. I would OC unless they say otherwise. Most KOA's out west are in small towns that are gun friendly anyway.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Rather than giving your money to KOA and knowingly violating their rules, why not call the Holbrook Chamber of Commerce and find out what camping spots are available in the area. Winslow is only about 35 miles up the road, so you could check there as well.

http://www.desertusa.com/Cities/az/az_holbrook.html

Another option is the private campsite on private land at the Rock Art Ranch (928-288-3260 or 928-386-5047). See the bottom of the linked page.

http://www.nps.gov/pefo/planyourvisit/camping.htm

**Let me add a little note here. I know some people get all cranky when others talk about knowingly violating private property restrictions and rightfully so, but rather than running your lips and being otherwise useless, how about we make it easy on one another to find spots that might provide friendly accomodations without treading on anyone's toes. This might just be too easy, because I know there are certain ones here who take pride in being the biggest pain in the ass they can be, criticizing others while being otherwise no help to anyone.

Last edited:

HvyMtl

+1 jmelvin.

Are all KOA corporate owned? If this is a franchise, their rules may be different. Stupid of me not to suggest calling the specific KOA and getting their policy.

And, if they do block your 2nd A rights, then why give them any of your hard earned $?

Last edited:
K

kittyhawk63

**Let me add a little note here. I know some people get all cranky when others talk about knowingly violating private property restrictions and rightfully so, but rather than running your lips and being otherwise useless, how about we make it easy on one another to find spots that might provide friendly accomodations without treading on anyone's toes. This might just be too easy, because I know there are certain ones here who take pride in being the biggest pain in the ass they can be, criticizing others while being otherwise no help to anyone.

If we know that the opposition reads the forum, I might add that I think it is highly counter-productive to post that you are going to break the law thereby giving the opposition fodder to tighten the laws against "all" legal carriers because a few decide they are above the law. We are trying to get politicians to pass laws in our favor and the courts to rule in our favor. This kind of in-your-attitude does not help our cause. Please don't post that you are going to break the law. I agree with jmelvin, answer those with these inclinations positive, productive responses so that they do not feel the need to go against policies of property owners. Geesh! It's sad to hear this kind of talk going on here.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
As an RV'er I have a few memberships that allow me stays across the US. Every campground that I have visited (with the exception of Washington State parks & The National Parks) has been a GFZ.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
This is AZ we're talking about and it's very gun friendly especially in the rural areas. I don't recall seeing a no guns sign any place I ever stayed when I lived there, for that matter I've never run across it in any state, even NY, granted not NYC! Why not ask some of the dudes over in the AZ and ID forums for recommended places to stay?